Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won the huge Rocky Marciano trophy for winner of Best Fight of the Night. It was back in the 70s, and haircuts were infrequent. World Famous John LoBianco Sr. was the ref, and one of the judges was World Famous Tony Castellano. I did not even get to take the mouth guard out, they threw a towel over my shoulders and put me in the pic.

It hung on the wall in Steve's house till he passed, then was given to me.

After the fight, John told me I had the perfect build for a Light Heavyweight fighter and I should never quit boxing, and Tony told me I had excellent footwork, could hit well with both hands, and to let him know if I ever wanted to go pro.

Steve was heartbroken I did not go pro, but I was recently married, recently had a daughter, recently got a house, and recently got a white collar job, so I just could not do it at the time. At the time I was 6'1", 175 lbs, and dense enough to sink in water with a full breath of air.

No one thought I was going to win. The guy I fought was built like a smaller Mike Tyson, and was going to go pro as soon as he beat me. Steve did not want to take the fight, I had to threaten to quite to get him to take it (they couldn't find any other match for me). I beat him twice.
Dang, that’s pretty impressive.

I won the huge Rocky Marciano trophy for winner of Best Fight of the Night. It was back in the 70s, and haircuts were infrequent. World Famous John LoBianco Sr. was the ref, and one of the judges was World Famous Tony Castellano. I did not even get to take the mouth guard out, they threw a towel over my shoulders and put me in the pic.

It hung on the wall in Steve's house till he passed, then was given to me.

After the fight, John told me I had the perfect build for a Light Heavyweight fighter and I should never quit boxing, and Tony told me I had excellent footwork, could hit well with both hands, and to let him know if I ever wanted to go pro.

Steve was heartbroken I did not go pro, but I was recently married, recently had a daughter, recently got a house, and recently got a white collar job, so I just could not do it at the time. At the time I was 6'1", 175 lbs, and dense enough to sink in water with a full breath of air.

No one thought I was going to win. The guy I fought was built like a smaller Mike Tyson, and was going to go pro as soon as he beat me. Steve did not want to take the fight, I had to threaten to quite to get him to take it (they couldn't find any other match for me). I beat him twice.
Nice :muscle::numberone:.
I don't even have a mug shot photo to post :laugh:.

I like the 462, spring av, air injection, one piece top cover, wider handle spacing.. it’s basically a husky, lol.
It cuts good

not hard wood, but it is frozen (larch);)
I’ve always liked the 044’s too, had a couple of them, they weren’t as strong as Mike’s though and wouldn’t have kept up with the 462.

Sounds good. I need to do some more test with the 440/462, I'm pretty sure the 440 beats it, but it is ported, so it should in the cut, but the features on the 462 have it beat. It should get better fuel economy too which means you cut longer on a tank(if the tanks are close to the same time)which lowers your average cut time. We'll have to wait a while to find out just how durable they are.
What's funny is I made a statement that echoed the same things late last night "They did a great job putting the benefits of a husky such as the filtration and the AV into it":cheers:, too bad it's only half orange:lol:.
That being said there are plenty of guys who still prefer the rubber mounts, and they can have them :yes:.
Notice that the top bar has a bit of an angle on it too :rock:.
Personally I think stihl did a great job on it, I'm sure they hired some of the husky engineers:laughing:. Regardless, I'd buy one, oh wait I did :innocent:.

Sounds good. I need to do some more test with the 440/462, I'm pretty sure the 440 beats it, but it is ported, so it should in the cut, but the features on the 462 have it beat. It should get better fuel economy too which means you cut longer on a tank(if the tanks are close to the same time)which lowers your average cut time. We'll have to wait a while to find out just how durable they are.
What's funny is I made a statement that echoed the same things late last night "They did a great job putting the benefits of a husky such as the filtration and the AV into it":cheers:, too bad it's only half orange:lol:.
That being said there are plenty of guys who still prefer the rubber mounts, and they can have them :yes:.
Notice that the top bar has a bit of an angle on it too :rock:.
Personally I think stihl did a great job on it, I'm sure they hired some of the husky engineers:laughing:. Regardless, I'd buy one, oh wait I did :innocent:.
Looks like your 440 is a strong runner for sure. I think the 462 is pretty easy on fuel, especially for the power it produces. And I also like the husky like handle bar angle. The clutch side part on the 3/4 wrap seems to be longer and goes down lower which I like too.
Sounds like durability might be an issue with heavy handed users, the faller I bought mine from has 3 of these and cracked the clutch cover on all 38F625F67-C8F1-4926-9AAB-822A109F7D03.jpegAnd on the one I bought the case around the bar studs cracked (case half had been replaced, but not disclosed :cool:) . Probably wouldn’t be an issue for most people, I’ve never had a problem with bar studs but I use a short handled bar wrench so I don’t over tighten and I don’t use the bar for a pry bar, lol.
He also had a 661 with a cracked case around bar studs. From what I’ve read this has only happened on 3/4 wrap versions for whatever reason.

Thank God Uncle Mustang didn’t go pro!! I figure he got punched in the head to much as it is and that’s why he likes Stihls.... geez if had gone pro he’d probably have a bunch of YouTube videos with a 36in bar WildThing....
With that hair helmet he was sporting I doubt you could have hurt him by hitting him in the head! ;)

Thank God Uncle Mustang didn’t go pro!! I figure he got punched in the head to much as it is and that’s why he likes Stihls.... geez if had gone pro he’d probably have a bunch of YouTube videos with a 36in bar WildThing....
I knew this was coming...lol

Mike with your long arms you’d certainly have done well. A lot of the lighter weight class boxers are smaller guys and with your arm reach you could hit them before they entered your zip code. At the same point CTE sucks and there’s no cure for it. And you’d definitely have taken some hits over the years.

Several of the “Miracle on Ice” 1980 Olympic hockey players are from my hometown and the surrounding areas. One of the guys has CTE pretty bad and just about killed one of his friends after an argument went wrong. He was acquitted because of the CTE.

I say stuff like this in the safety of my home.... never in person. His hands still have some speed in them!
Lol! I certainly wouldn’t mess with him either!

In about 20 years Mike will be on one of those clips on YouTube where some young punk tried to rob an old guy and the old guy pounds the piss out of him!!

Looks like your 440 is a strong runner for sure. I think the 462 is pretty easy on fuel, especially for the power it produces. And I also like the husky like handle bar angle. The clutch side part on the 3/4 wrap seems to be longer and goes down lower which I like too.
Sounds like durability might be an issue with heavy handed users, the faller I bought mine from has 3 of these and cracked the clutch cover on all 3View attachment 791987And on the one I bought the case around the bar studs cracked (case half had been replaced, but not disclosed :cool:) . Probably wouldn’t be an issue for most people, I’ve never had a problem with bar studs but I use a short handled bar wrench so I don’t over tighten and I don’t use the bar for a pry bar, lol.
He also had a 661 with a cracked case around bar studs. From what I’ve read this has only happened on 3/4 wrap versions for whatever reason.
Yikes! I think he may be using them a a pry bar!!

Yikes! I think he may be using them a a pry bar!!
Or maybe cheater pipe on his bar wrench? Lol
Was watching some YouTube videos of a faller cutting some big spruce, if undercut didn’t fall out he’d bore into it with bar tip and push down on the saw to pop it looseo_O:crazy2:

I say stuff like this in the safety of my home.... never in person. His hands still have some speed in them!
Doesn't hurt to be several states away either!

Perhaps what I meant to say was what a charming personality and fine head of hair young Mike had... errr... has!

Easy solution, remove the other tree first :D. As long as he isn't concerned with possibly breaking some of the branches in that tree I'd just cut the hinge thin/off on one sides it can roll out of the "stay" tree. Looks like a lot of nice wood in those two.

Problem is he doesn't want the other trees cut . My nephew has climbed before said it wouldn't be a problem tieing off the other tree to top the leaner

Problem is he doesn't want the other trees cut . My nephew has climbed before said it wouldn't be a problem tieing off the other tree to top the leaner
Lots of ways to skin a cat!:lol:.
Speaking of cat's.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 5.26.03 PM.png
For those of you having a rough day, hope you get a new prescription:laughing:.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 5.31.24 PM.png

Just finishing up morning coffee. I have 9 more pine rounds up in the woods to haul in then noodle all of the big pieces with the 8500. For blowdown pine this tree is pretty dry so I’m going to burn it right away. It’s definitely drier than the aspen I’ve been smoldering through this month from the other cutting spot.

Back