Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read every single post in this thread and you're the first bloke in this place to talk any proper sense! :givebeer: :cheers:

(apologies to those who have talked about chainsaws, scrounge, guns, maple syrup and stuff. But cold beer in the right circumstances is much more important.)

I came home on leave from the AF one summer. 90s and dad was re-roofing a garage. Ah, thinks I, after flying a desk for several years some physical work will be good. Got up a real good sweat on that roof, finished the job, grabbed a cold beer out of he ice bucket and chugged half of it...flat on my back almost instantly. I used to 'beer' any time I was working except when running a saw. Cut way back about 10 years ago.

Well, it was a project to get it back there, but splitting by hand is going too slow. So I moved the Hydro back to my wood pile with the ATV. I had to back it through the fence gate, and having the plow on it did not make it any easier, but I got it done.

The lots around here are 100 X 150, but I bought the one in back of me (which is not buildable) at a Tax Sale for $330!!! My property used to end where that small Maple tree is (the ball is near it). Now I own back tot he next block. The garden, and my wood piles and logs are back there.

Did about an hour of splitting today. The photos are from my back deck, the second pic is 5X telephoto. (This new phone camera goes up to 8X, but that was too much!)

All this just to keep Cowboy happy!!!

I appreciate it! It is way too hot to scrounge...115°F tomorrow, so I have to scrounge vicariously!

I have read every single post in this thread and you're the first bloke in this place to talk any proper sense! :givebeer: :cheers:

(apologies to those who have talked about chainsaws, scrounge, guns, maple syrup and stuff. But cold beer in the right circumstances is much more important.)
:numberone:

My cousin’s FB post64A39F4D-5DDE-496E-9CEF-363B67378D4F.pnglol

Well I told my wife I think I have an addiction....:omg::oops:

Seems all I can think about is going out cutting wood. One of my favorite places to go is about 25 miles away, 18 miles paved, rest one lane gravel road at about 6500’. Very pretty area, not much traffic. Usually see a nice sun rise on the way out98A0C617-BD9F-4DCA-BF3E-34BAE81DDA50.jpeg Get done loading the trailer around mid dayBD3B875F-325C-4170-994D-F500BCAB81F9.jpegPretty warm by then but not too hot in the shade. Nice cold snow melt stream near by to wash off some sweat and saw dust and cool down. 4A42D667-DA9A-450A-B788-C4FC2DB5097B.jpeg Then find a shady spot to take a napA3A65FC0-749E-4499-809F-B68F5C0D6970.jpegNormally a nice breeze blowing, no cell service, no cars or people at least for an hour, incredibly peaceful and relaxing. Start heading back after that, feel the diesel pulling the weight well up over the pass and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Can’t wait till spring!
Yeah I got it bad.. lol.

Attachments

• F8FDC917-50EB-4C4F-AF44-B292D27C8FFC.jpeg
    F8FDC917-50EB-4C4F-AF44-B292D27C8FFC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
How is you wood usage this winter looking compared to the previous few years?

Winter started a bit early this year in Michigan and the temps dropped quick. But shortly after that it became a mild winter.

Id say iv used a bit less than normal. We usually use closer to 7 cord. This year i bet 6 cord will do it. Or real close to that. We will see how February treats us. That is when the real cold hits.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Seems all I can think about is going out cutting wood. One of my favorite places to go is about 25 miles away, 18 miles paved, rest one lane gravel road at about 6500’. Very pretty area, not much traffic. Usually see a nice sun rise on the way outView attachment 793620 Get done loading the trailer around mid dayView attachment 793621Pretty warm by then but not too hot in the shade. Nice cold snow melt stream near by to wash off some sweat and saw dust and cool down. View attachment 793628 Then find a shady spot to take a napView attachment 793622Normally a nice breeze blowing, no cell service, no cars or people at least for an hour, incredibly peaceful and relaxing. Start heading back after that, feel the diesel pulling the weight well up over the pass and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Can’t wait till spring!
Yeah I got it bad.. lol.
Nate looks quite remote, do you usually head out by yourself? I do sometimes head out into the state forest by myself but even with good PPE I’m very reluctant in case something goes wrong.

Seems all I can think about is going out cutting wood. One of my favorite places to go is about 25 miles away, 18 miles paved, rest one lane gravel road at about 6500’. Very pretty area, not much traffic. Usually see a nice sun rise on the way outView attachment 793620 Get done loading the trailer around mid dayView attachment 793621Pretty warm by then but not too hot in the shade. Nice cold snow melt stream near by to wash off some sweat and saw dust and cool down. View attachment 793628 Then find a shady spot to take a napView attachment 793622Normally a nice breeze blowing, no cell service, no cars or people at least for an hour, incredibly peaceful and relaxing. Start heading back after that, feel the diesel pulling the weight well up over the pass and have a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Can’t wait till spring!
Yeah I got it bad.. lol.

Not sure why, but it is extra satisfying to see that ole hoss trailer full of firewood.

Yeah I got it bad.. lol.
Great pictures as always. And I totally agree.

Wife asked me if I’m going to make firewood every weekend. I told her that as long as I have wood to cut, yes. Scrounging blowdown and standing dead from around the house means all the wood that I’m not burning from the pile is already ready for next year.

Off topic but some of these are incredible:

Heck yeah!
Good number of scrounged wood in there too :rock:.
7:02-7:08 o_O:laughing::lol:.
Been to rally Aus twice and rally NZ once, we’ll worth seeing in real life if you haven’t yet!
I've always thought most the spectators were just as crazy as the drivers :yes:.

On e bay, when a vendor is out of an item, they just inflate the price so no one will order it, then reduce the price when the item is back in supply.

I hear it is easier than "re-listing" the item.
I was wondering if that's what happened with the guys who where buying those double bevel files on opeforum, some of those prices were crazy for one file.
The site that was selling them for like $8 is now selling them for like $27.
Now here's the kicker, the exact same company is selling them on amazon for 10 each and you can get them for $73.33(plus tax) for 10 on Ebay o_O.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bahco-4-15...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Not as much as I used too or would like to. Life gets in the way . I have a Specialized hybrid . Not really a mountain bike or street bike maybe a trail bike ?

But my baby is a Cannondale Synapse carbon fiber road bike it weighs 20 lbs. My wifes Specialized Ruby elite is the other one and yes they are both on the wall in my livingroom View attachment 793496
That would be cool if your wife got into saws, I can see the whole living room filled with shelves of saws :heart:.

Nate looks quite remote, do you usually head out by yourself? I do sometimes head out into the state forest by myself but even with good PPE I’m very reluctant in case something goes wrong.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people in this thread dont cut solo more often then they cut with someone around. The last time I ran a saw with someone else around was @farmer steve GTG last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people in this thread dont cut solo more often then they cut with someone around. The last time I ran a saw with someone else around was @farmer steve GTG last year.
Yep, a lot of my tree work is by myself, then I bring others around when the trees are on the ground to help with cleanup.
Yesterday I had my son and neighbor there with me. I dropped a cherry and a locust for him. I may get the locust wood, we'll see. He has a few more in the field he wants down too, I was ready, but he wasn't lol.

How is you wood usage this winter looking compared to the previous few years?

Winter started a bit early this year in Michigan and the temps dropped quick. But shortly after that it became a mild winter.

Id say iv used a bit less than normal. We usually use closer to 7 cord. This year i bet 6 cord will do it. Or real close to that. We will see how February treats us. That is when the real cold hits.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Have used a lot less so far maybe closing in on 3 cords . But it's going to be in the 50's here next week.

While I'm thinkin about it since cutting by yourself was brought up, do you guys carry IFAK's? (Individual First Aid Kit)? I have been piecing an IFAK together for, ya know, boog, but an IFAK would be great as an EDC thing (Every Day Carry). Let me know if you guys need links to product pages or youtube vids on building IFAK's

Yep, a lot of my tree work is by myself, then I bring others around when the trees are on the ground to help with cleanup.
Yesterday I had my son and neighbor there with me. I dropped a cherry and a locust for him. I may get the locust wood, we'll see. He has a few more in the field he wants down too, I was ready, but he wasn't lol.

Haha that kubota assist was awesome [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm thinkin about it since cutting by yourself was brought up, do you guys carry IFAK's? (Individual First Aid Kit)? I have been piecing an IFAK together for, ya know, boog, but an IFAK would be great as an EDC thing (Every Day Carry). Let me know if you guys need links to product pages or youtube vids on building IFAK's
I have first aid kits in almost every vehicle. And a fire extinguisher in each too. The old cars mostly because some shows wont let you in without the extinguisher.

Latest posts

Back