Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve cut trees that look just like that, which ended up being elm. Stringy as heck, but burns good. I’ve heard it called ironwood before as well.
Rock elm does have some knobs/warts but has the interlacing weaved bark versus the straight lines that Chipper’s trees have.

I’ve cut trees that look just like that, which ended up being elm. Stringy as heck, but burns good. I’ve heard it called ironwood before as well.
From what I remember it was pretty stringy. The bark is quite unique, nothing else comes close, until I saw those pictures of that stuff posted earlier, but those seemed to be a little different.
Here's an elm from last spring, this bark will peel off some of the top.
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 10.56.26 PM.png

I’m not a peat fan, so only like a few scotches.

I’m a bourbon fan. Have been building the collection. Haven’t had/heard of Dickel. My most recent acquisition was some Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch.

I haven’t had a rye I didn’t like yet ;)

Dickel is a great bourbon for the money. Its a Tennessee Whiskey(even though they call it whiskey it still meets bourbon laws) #8 is their “ original. High corn so a bit sweeter. #12 has more rye and is a tad higher proof. Much better compilation of flavors in #12.

They have a rye that is decent. Not a super high rye. Again a bit more corn. I like LOTS of rye.

Michigan is GREAT at rye

Some of my favorites are made by Two James. Grass widow and catchers rye. Check them out.

https://twojames.com/

You have any suggestions? Iv been doing this for about 9 years now so finding new ones that seem interesting is getting harder.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

From what I remember it was pretty stringy. The bark is quite unique, nothing else comes close, until I saw those pictures of that stuff posted earlier, but those seemed to be a little different.
Here's an elm from last spring, this bark will peel off some of the top.
View attachment 794727
That elm must have been dead for a while to break the hinge that cleanly.

Have you guys tried Knob Creek? My favorite mass produced bourbon. It’s 100 proof though so may be a bit strong for some.

Knob creek is a good whiskey. But after JB got purchased by a Japanese company I stoped buying any brand they make. Knok Creek is one. Unfortunately makers is one of them too. I still sneak in a Makers 46 now and then.

Dickel is a great bourbon for the money. Its a Tennessee Whiskey(even though they call it whiskey it still meets bourbon laws) #8 is their “ original. High corn so a bit sweeter. #12 has more rye and is a tad higher proof. Much better compilation of flavors in #12.

They have a rye that is decent. Not a super high rye. Again a bit more corn. I like LOTS of rye.

Michigan is GREAT at rye

Some of my favorites are made by Two James. Grass widow and catchers rye. Check them out.

https://twojames.com/

You have any suggestions? Iv been doing this for about 9 years now so finding new ones that seem interesting is getting harder.

I personally don’t care for the taste of rye and for whatever reason rye whiskey makes me ornery. I’m normally a happy drunk.

Corn whiskey is where it’s at for me.

I personally don’t care for the taste of rye and for whatever reason rye whiskey makes me ornery. I’m normally a happy drunk.

That is a common thing really. Not a lot of people like rye.

Thats ok. Ill drink it [emoji23]

1) Do not try to burn Oak unless the bark has been off of it and it looks very weathered. Other than that, Oak seems to like to keep it's moisture and dry slowly, but it is worth it because it burns so well. It you want it to dry quickly, split it small. When you split it, you will know if it is dry or not.

2) Ironwood is either Blue Beech, or Hornbeam, and neither look like you pics. It may be Elm, but it is tough to tell from the pics. Seeing either the cut wood, or a leaf in the spring (or both) would be very helpful.

That elm must have been dead for a while to break the hinge that cleanly.
It had been on its way out for a while not sure it would have leaved out that spring or not. That hinge is better than 2", the picture is a bit deceiving for size, iirc a 32" on the 576 with small dawgs didn't quite make it to the opposite side. I took it out before they started construction of a new home, got some nice wood from it too :). I still have the butt log and I'll probably cut some cookies off it:chainsaw:.
Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 11.28.34 PM.png

I usually stick to Red Wine, or have a beer or two (often Sam Adams or Dark Beers). Generally stay away from the hard stuff, but I went through my phases.

My friend Tommy and I used to drink 151 Bacardi's straight! We kept the bottle in a paper bag, so when our friends asked for some, we got a kick out of watching their eyes bulge out while they searched or water!

One year, Tommy's parent's anniversary was on a Friday, and my parents was on the Sunday. We drank so many different concoctions that week end that Tommy got sick as a dog … but not me! Tommy looked at me and stated "you stomach is not cast iron, it's porcelain"!

Then I used to drink Harvey Wallbangers like they were water. I even developed my own concoction that was stronger but tasted like nothing was in it (similar to a LI Ice Tea). But too many week ends went by that I don't remember, so I don't do that any more.

Fortunately, when I got married I realized it was time to grow up, unfortunately it took my X decades longer to learn that lesson. When I see her at family get togethers, it scares me to even look at her, and she used to be very attractive.

Have you guys tried Knob Creek? My favorite mass produced bourbon. It’s 100 proof though so may be a bit strong for some.
Haven’t had yet, but heard it was good.

My favorite high octane stuff so far has been Old Forester 1920 and 1910. Both are very good. I have yet to score a bottle of either.

So here's some pictures of the trees at our place, I thought they were hackberry, looking at their range if they are they seem to be close to the northern edge of it.
The first two pictures are a smaller one and then a larger one.
Thanks for looking guys.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bkvhpteiMfDysr216
Doesn't look like the hackleberry we have here. I think we're equally north so it is found in our region. Hackleberry has wide furrows with very smooth bark between narrow ridges.
My guess is 1st one is black walnut. 2nd one could be elm.

Smoked maple flavor of that is good stuff
Yes that is!

Put a little of that in when cooking bacon. When the bacon is about half way done, drizzle KC Smoked Maple on the meat itself so it does not spatter. It will help caramelize when you flip and the bourbon adds to the taste as well. Also makes the bacon taste less salty.

Got another CL load of red oak on Saturday. As green and heavy as ever.
I was too sore to unload, so I thought I'd try the jackhammer on the rounds. It worked really well!
5-Gallon bucket for scale in some of the pics.
20200202_151647.jpg

Attachments

• 20200202_143900.jpg
    20200202_143900.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20200202_143913.jpg
    20200202_143913.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200202_144013.jpg
    20200202_144013.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200202_145622.jpg