Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad News … The CT GTG has just been cancelled, my enthusiasm to finish Tax Season has just diminished!

And, we got a light dusting of snow this morning!

FYI, I heard they have not found any adverse effect of Corona on pregnant women??? I'm no expert, just what was reported on our news. It seems to mostly be detrimental to the ill and old. Hate to say it, but Mother Nature always finds a way to deal with over population of any species! Maybe she is trying to save the planet from ourselves!

My guy sprays it on. He heats the oil up, then it comes out of a paint like gun in a mist. He used to mix STP with new motor oil, but a few years ago he switch to chainsaw bar oil. It wasn't any less expensive, but it saved him having to mix to get the consistency he wanted. He' an older guy, and tries to simplify things now.

This past year, he only did two of the three vehicles. I think he was tired of doing the F350. So, a guy from work did it this last fall, using used motor oil. It stunk to high heaven. I think next time I'll take him chainsaw bar oil to use. He did a good job too, and probably put twice the oil on the truck than my original guy.
THey also drill holes in certain body panels to get the oil inside, then they pop in factory looking caps. I can get pics later if you'd like.
From experience, don't use used motor oil as it contains acids that are counterproductive to the end result you are trying to achieve.

If you get a pneumatic engine degreaser attachment or siphoning sand blaster attachment for a compressor, you can spray any weight oil (short of #6) without preparation. I use one of three deals, an actual undercoating gun, a sprayer I saved from a bedliner application kit, or a siphoning sand blaster deal.

I save my automatic transmission fluid and gear oil drainings...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bad News … The CT GTG has just been cancelled, my enthusiasm to finish Tax Season has just diminished!

FYI, I heard they have not found any adverse effect of Corona on pregnant women??? I'm no expert, just what was reported on our news. It seems to mostly be detrimental to the ill and old. Hate to say it, but Mother Nature always finds a way to deal with over population of any species! Maybe she is trying to save the planet from ourselves!
Unless you follow the conspiracy theories that it's a bioweapon that got loose from a Chinese lab.

Or that China hid this since early last fall (the reason they already had thousands of cases when first reported) and that it is everywhere now.

While bunch of theories out there...part of me wants to get it so I get over it and can move on with life.

My guy sprays it on. He heats the oil up, then it comes out of a paint like gun in a mist. He used to mix STP with new motor oil, but a few years ago he switch to chainsaw bar oil. It wasn't any less expensive, but it saved him having to mix to get the consistency he wanted. He' an older guy, and tries to simplify things now.

This past year, he only did two of the three vehicles. I think he was tired of doing the F350. So, a guy from work did it this last fall, using used motor oil. It stunk to high heaven. I think next time I'll take him chainsaw bar oil to use. He did a good job too, and probably put twice the oil on the truck than my original guy.
THey also drill holes in certain body panels to get the oil inside, then they pop in factory looking caps. I can get pics later if you'd like.
Ooh I remember there was a pretty heated discussion on this topic a while back. It makes a lot of sense though. Although with well water, definitely a chance of leaching.

I have lots of big grays in the backyard...parents have fox squirrels started in their neck of the woods.

Also have groundhogs...people pay lots of money for grass fed beef, grass fed rodent isn't bad either.

I would love to try any of those. I will eat any mammal meat that is put in front of me. Do not care for lamb/sheep though as I do not think one should have to pay for meat that tastes gamey like an old whitetail buck.

Unless you follow the conspiracy theories that it's a bioweapon that got loose from a Chinese lab.

Or that China hid this since early last fall (the reason they already had thousands of cases when first reported) and that it is everywhere now.

While bunch of theories out there...part of me wants to get it so I get over it and can move on with life.

Both are certainly possible. They needed some Corona to go with our (the US's) Lymes which was originally manufactured......

Some have been labeling it the "Boomer remover", which is a terrible label.

And, mother nature is not to blame here. This was developed in a lab, so mankind is to blame. If you wear any tinfoil, some are saying this is all planned... Georgia Guide Stones and all...

Ooh I remember there was a pretty heated discussion on this topic a while back. It makes a lot of sense though. Although with well water, definitely a chance of leaching.

Anyone who says it's "snake oil" doesn't know what they're talking about. I had some guys tell me it was useless, and then I showed them undercarriage pics of my 97 F350 that has lived it's life in Ohio and is driven every winter. I never even spray the thing off anymore.

The stuff works, and if done right, will save any vehicle from rusting out.

From experience, don't use used motor oil as it contains acids that are counterproductive to the end result you are trying to achieve.

If you get a pneumatic engine degreaser attachment or siphoning sand blaster attachment for a compressor, you can spray any weight oil (short of #6) without preparation. I use one of three deals, an actual undercoating gun, a sprayer I saved from a bedliner application kit, or a siphoning sand blaster deal.

I save my automatic transmission fluid and gear oil drainings...

Out of all the oils I've had applied, I likes the chainsaw bar oil best. It really seemed to stick well, and dripped less after application.

There's an outfit that sells a specific, proprietary oil blend for this application, but it's pricey. From what I've read though, it works even better than the alternatives most people use (motor oil, etc.).

Anyone who says it's "snake oil" doesn't know what they're talking about. I had some guys tell me it was useless, and then I showed them undercarriage pics of my 97 F350 that has lived it's life in Ohio and is driven every winter. I never even spray the thing off anymore.

The stuff works, and if done right, will save any vehicle from rusting out.
It definitely works. We have rust galore. But if you find a vehicle that had oil leaks, you will notice that the rest of the car behind the oil leak is in perfect shape. Road dust attaches itself to the greasy metal and forms a protective "crust"

I am considering buying a truck from out west or down south where they do not rust away and would definitely treat it with something to survive up here.

It definitely works. We have rust galore. But if you find a vehicle that had oil leaks, you will notice that the rest of the car behind the oil leak is in perfect shape. Road dust attaches itself to the greasy metal and forms a protective "crust"

I am considering buying a truck from out west or down south where they do not rust away and would definitely treat it with something to survive up here.

My guy used to tell me to take it down a dirt/gravel road after application to help create that "crust" you speak of.

Another benfit is when you have to wrench on it, all the bolts/nuts aren't rusted/seized on

My guy used to tell me to take it down a dirt/gravel road after application to help create that "crust" you speak of.

Another benfit is when you have to wrench on it, all the bolts/nuts aren't rusted/seized on
I had a guy in Maryland that did the big work on my Cummins Dodge...I got to be pretty good friends with him.

He told me the first time I called to have the clutch done that he was hating the idea of wrenching on another "Pennsylvania rust bucket" because he would have to fight every bolt loose. He told me later that he was absolutely amazed that everything spun apart with ease and that there was almost no rust on my junk...but he said he had to throw his clothes away after he did that clutch!

Problem I have is they have paved every road in this area!

I had a guy in Maryland that did the big work on my Cummins Dodge...I got to be pretty good friends with him.

He told me the first time I called to have the clutch done that he was hating the idea of wrenching on another "Pennsylvania rust bucket" because he would have to fight every bolt loose. He told me later that he was absolutely amazed that everything spun apart with ease and that there was almost no rust on my junk...but he said he had to throw his clothes away after he did that clutch!

Oh yes, it saves them from rusting, but makes a mess when you need to work on them.

It's a trade off I'm OK with. LOL

I'd be concerned with it setting off...

I know it works good on Garand stocks, but I've read it's highly flammable before it "cures".
Linseed oil when it dries oxidizes. Creating enough heat if the oil is on a crumpled up rag it can light it. You either spoke it in a water can or spread it out flare on a non cubustable surface. It's not the oil that starts burning it's the rag but yes once the rag starts it will burn alsoA thin layer of oil will not spontaneously combust . If it did there would lots of wood shops burned every year. Basically all oil will do this even rags soaked in motor oil should be put in a metal bucket with a lid. Like all spray on rust preventative containing oil or waxes you dont apply to anything that gets hot.

Back