Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well went about 150 miles north to the area where I grew up last weekend for my brother’s funeral (passed away after heart surgery) and stayed in a rv park that was built when we lived there. CF2260B3-C0EC-4A7A-B76F-E4905B86FF94.jpeg
I remember when those trees were planted, I feel old, lol. Think they are some kind of hybrid poplar?59D3588F-0519-44F4-8F54-24F66CD7FB85.jpeg
In our rush to leave I forgot to throw some firewood in, wife was in the office looking at firewood bundles and park owner came in and said I’ll bring ya some wood, no charge. Dropped off some wood, paper and matches. It was little wet so I was getting my 5 gal jug of fire starter out of the pickup and the neighbor comes walking over with some dry pitchy kindling, with hoarding going on was pretty cool to see the generosity457BE6E9-B64E-4990-BCD8-8856DB695D54.jpeg

Wonder how boiled linseed oil would be for rust proofing/undercoating? Easy to thin ect
There was a guy that used it, but the volume would be the limiting factor...I usually end up using about four to five gallons to spray one fullsized truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There was a guy that used it, but the volume would be the limiting factor...I usually end up using about four to five gallons to spray one fullsized truck.

That would get expensive with most anything @5gls. My trucks under coated but its flaked off in places @26 yrs I guess its to be expected. I'd like to try fluid film but don't know that its any better than panther piss. Which is easy to cook up.

Well went about 150 miles north to the area where I grew up last weekend for my brother’s funeral (passed away after heart surgery) and stayed in a rv park that was built when we lived there. View attachment 807782
I remember when those trees were planted, I feel old, lol. Think they are some kind of hybrid poplar?View attachment 807783
In our rush to leave I forgot to throw some firewood in, wife was in the office looking at firewood bundles and park owner came in and said I’ll bring ya some wood, no charge. Dropped off some wood, paper and matches. It was little wet so I was getting my 5 gal jug of fire starter out of the pickup and the neighbor comes walking over with some dry pitchy kindling, with hoarding going on was pretty cool to see the generosityView attachment 807784
Great pictures but very sorry to hear about your brother.

That would get expensive with most anything @5gls. My trucks under coated but its flaked off in places @26 yrs I guess its to be expected. I'd like to try fluid film but don't know that its any better than panther piss. Which is easy to cook up.
Had my Silverado undercoated with the heavy-body Fluid Film within weeks of buying it new off the lot (it had never seen snow)...the only fluid film remaining is that in the doors. It washed off the first winter...for the expense, I couldn't justify doing it again.

We also tried normal fluid film on my dad's truck (before we knew there was more than one type) with the same results...completely gone in a few months.

I want to try Krown on my Equinox...there is a dealer in York and the Canadians swear by it.

For comparison, I haven't oiled my truck in two years, the frame is still coated in oily dirt. It is only washed off where the tire throw water/snow/debris off the road.

Well, my life kind of works like this, spring is big Tuna season, and I split between fishing. Summer is little tuna season and I mow and split between fishing. Come October is our week long King Mackerel tournament season. Then I split till muzzle loader season, and start stacking wood up on the court. Fall is Deer firearm season and I start selling the wood I split all last year, and moving more up on the court as needed. All of my Oak is two year split, the Ash is one year split. All of the logs in the previous pics, I brought home the two days we worked last week. They will be split and stacked for the year after next. I only rotate about 10-15 cord a year. I've got an early start this year, so I may go for 25 cord. I bought a lot of equipment this winter so I'm as broke as I've ever been. Picked up two friends at the airport this morning, Tuna fishing in Louisiana. I missed that one.

I fit in gathering, hauling, splitting, and stacking throughout the year too. We ”had” an early season at our mountain place, the snow was gone. Now we just got a foot of snow up there (photo file from webcam was too big too load). I tried. Now I’ll have to wait for that to melt.

Latest posts

Back