Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience by the time the outcome is known the deal or scam will be long gone.
Picture of the last deal that was too good to be true. Just like hooked on phonics, it worked for me :D.
View attachment 809082
Nice . Had a Jonesered a long time ago . Was stolen.

Nice . Had a Jonesered a long time ago . Was stolen.

Almost nobody has heard of Jonsered here, I only know because I saw one once. It was on a 4WD trail before it opened to the public that year, I walked in. A property owner had some building materials and that saw sitting on the side.

I’m not a fan of their newer stuff. They look too “futuristic”.
If the powder coat/paint stayed on em!
I like some of the Jreds too, some of which look really similar to huskies.
Sad to see them gone.

I Stihl want a 500i but could buy a few good 064/066 or dollies 7900 and still have change for toilet paper.
Well we had a crisp -15 this morning. It’s above 20 now. Time to go cut some trees.
Can't complain here currently 32°F and sunny. I went out and cut a small box elder with the 261. So far I really like it. Chain wasn't sharp so I stopped for now. It really has a flat torque curve not peaky like my 445. About twice the price so not a far comparison. Just what I have.

New nylon vice covers. Im sure you all have seen them but just wanted to share. These also have cut outs at different angles to hold gun parts in at an angle.

2nd sharpening for the day during our scrounging adventures. Neighbor has chickens. He wanted a stump cut shorter and level so the could set a tire full of sand on it for the chickens to sand bath in. Chain was like butter knife after that.[emoji37]

https://www.amazon.com/Vise-Jaws-Mu...able/dp/B018QNM7V2?ref_=ast_bbp_dp&th=1&psc=1

b362d56b53295de8e17e8b8b3765f6bb.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Ahh, that makes sense!!
So, my 254 is a 2nd Gen, 54cc?

In that case, I think I like the 2nd and 3rd gen XP saws.
Sort of. The first number is series. There actually was a 154 as well. Some of the saws from different series had many interchangeable parts. IE 61 and 266-268-272 were the same family. 154-254-257-162-262 were a family but they also share a few parts with the 50-51-55 family.

I think we are a short period of time away from lockdown. There are social distancing rules in effect and people can be fined for non-compliance. Our Aussie student is being sent home Monday. We were feeling bad that we hadn't had the opportunity to show her as much of our country as we had planned. This morning I kicked them out of bed at 5 and we road tripped to Niagara falls. Took food and drinks and even a portable potty so no stops. It was cold ay eff this morning so between that and the virus, we had the falls to ourselves other than 3 people we saw from a distance. My daughter is the tall one. Looking over at Murica. Hope everyone is staying safe!
88b10d38604e5ae574996c027924b634.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You're getting maximum value out of that chain, James.

Went out to the farm again to socially distantly have another go at that big peppermint log. There is a big bulge with a hole in the middle of it so I was expecting that as I closed in on it from either end, the rounds would deteriorate.

View attachment 809011

Yep. Meanwhile at the bigger end...

View attachment 809012

But there's stihl plenty of good wood if you split out the middle. This was two rounds worth of splits.

View attachment 809013

Who knows what horrors lurk in there.

View attachment 809014

Even though the rounds are ugly, the splits are nice and three rounds from the big end filled the bed of the Ranger.

View attachment 809015

I'm going to pile up all the crud from this log and the other ones in the immediate area then Mitch can torch the lot at his convenience.

View attachment 809017

Nice arvo out.

:)
I was expecting to see a big, fat, RattleHeadedCopperMoccasin come out of there. Do you have them down there?

I think we are a short period of time away from lockdown. There are social distancing rules in effect and people can be fined for non-compliance. Our Aussie student is being sent home Monday. We were feeling bad that we hadn't had the opportunity to show her as much of our country as we had planned. This morning I kicked them out of bed at 5 and we road tripped to Niagara falls. Took food and drinks and even a portable potty so no stops. It was cold ay eff this morning so between that and the virus, we had the falls to ourselves other than 3 people we saw from a distance. My daughter is the tall one. Looking over at Murica. Hope everyone is staying safe!
88b10d38604e5ae574996c027924b634.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Define your idea of lockdown......yes bars, restaurants, libraries etc......are all closed, martial law and curfews are nowhere near. Exercising common sense is.

Guess i have a positive attitude, years of being in a job where you many times you dont know if youll make it home day after day. Run the numbers, do the math, greater percentage of Stihl owners will get there saw started!

Guess I'll be splitting those loads of 8' Oak logs I brought home last week. The home owners want to hold off on any more work till this blows over. Should start lawns next week. Is nice watching the Blue Birds building their nest out the window from my desk. For them, it's business as usual.

Latest posts

Back