Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold and rainy today. Was thinking about splitting my scrounge from the weekend, but I may hold off. we need the rain, so I'm good with it. I re-seeded the lawn, so the rain is welcomed to hopefully help that seed along. The dags are hard on the yard...

Just running through my wood inventory, I’ve still got probably 6 cords of rounds on the ground plus several more blowdown trees (mostly aspen) that are potentially scrounge-able once I check for core rot. I keep thinking I’ll run out of wood eventually around the house/cabin and have to start cutting off my family land but that hasn’t happened so far.

You guys in hardwood country are lucky in more than one way. Our primary wood up here is aspen and white birch, both which have VERY limited window to scrounge once dead/downed plus aspen isn’t very dense. I’d love to have elk or better yet, oak that stands dead for years and is solid.

It is a mixed blessing and a necessary period of learning. I beat the daylights out of my parent's cars, and had minor accidents with both of them.

I even got pulled over when I raced an unmarked car, but amazingly did not get a ticket that time!

I wish you the best of luck with this difficult period, and hope the benefits out weight the negatives.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way around the increased insurance costs.

Got a call from a friend's Dad that he had an old log splitter I might be interested in. When he said heavy duty and homemade, I was sold. Especially for the price... Free!

Going to look at it/pick it up after work.

7EBE45F6-7008-435E-A943-7C4BEF59CD45.jpeg

It is a mixed blessing and a necessary period of learning. I beat the daylights out of my parent's cars, and had minor accidents with both of them.

I even got pulled over when I raced an unmarked car, but amazingly did not get a ticket that time!

I wish you the best of luck with this difficult period, and hope the benefits out weight the negatives.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way around the increased insurance costs.
Yeah the insurance is going to be the killer. With boys ages 12.5, 14, and 15 it’s going to suck soon.

Got another load of Ash, yesterday. A nice cool day to bring out the Fiskars.
68b65bac24a7ad50ab85d07ac0b497d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys in hardwood country are lucky in more than one way. Our primary wood up here is aspen and white birch, both which have VERY limited window to scrounge once dead/downed plus aspen isn’t very dense. I’d love to have elk or better yet, oak that stands dead for years and is solid.

What sorta burn time do you get out of an elk?

Latest posts

Back