Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd one this week. Been raiding the barn cats food bowl and I'm sure they would hit the sweet corn this summer so they got a ride to the state game lands 5 miles up the road.View attachment 828347
Coons? When raccoons tried to get on our back porch Mama just chased em off with a broom."

2nd one this week. Been raiding the barn cats food bowl and I'm sure they would hit the sweet corn this summer so they got a ride to the state game lands 5 miles up the road.View attachment 828347
They really seem to be endless.

They raid my bird feeders. It’s every night now so I’ll be taking the sunflower feeder down. Mr Squirrel appreciates their raids though as he can clean up the crumbs the next morning. They’ve actually figured out how to trigger the latch on this so it comes apart.
3A843891-8CB7-4953-A50D-BC8D2FEB57AF.jpeg

Score! My neighbor said to stop down if I wanted some wood. They have a contractor taking down some wood for them plus a few more dying trees on their property that are easy drops. Probably 2-3 plus cords of aspen plus a cord of (rare up here) red oak.

It’s nice when I can haul wood from 1/8 mile away.

Now I need to decide if I split that oak smaller for the fireplace or larger for the boiler. Feel kind of bad feeding it to the smoke dragon.

Score! My neighbor said to stop down if I wanted some wood. They have a contractor taking down some wood for them plus a few more dying trees on their property that are easy drops. Probably 2-3 plus cords of aspen plus a cord of (rare up here) red oak.

It’s nice when I can haul wood from 1/8 mile away.

Now I need to decide if I split that oak smaller for the fireplace or larger for the boiler. Feel kind of bad feeding it to the smoke dragon.
You scored

Rained all day yesterday , around 7pm I told the wife that I couldn't take it any more .
"Take what?" she asked .
Told her I was gonna go to Wallyworld first thing this morning and find me some clippers .
She said "Here, use these ."

2WyMJZQ.jpg

Sunny today :)

When at the locust scounge two day ago Jim told me that the local barber gave the finger to the govenor and is open and and catching up on the backlog. I called Mike to give hime the good news but he told me he knew and a had gotten a haircut a week ago. I need to hit towm in the morning and I'll stop to see what hours he is working. Used to be onlys days a week.

I have one of these, but with a 16” bar.
At one point I had 5 of these, 4 of which had bad duckbills and had every bar and chain from 10-16”. I ended up selling most of them but reserved my grandpas.

Neat little saws. The only annoying thing is none of the bar configurations use standard DL count chain.

Yes. When I buy chains they think I got the driver count wrong, nope.

I don’t find it annoying though.
Only annoying to me because I have oodles of standard dL count chains and end up having to maintain separate ones for the Homies. But I’ve got two chains for the XL now so that should last nearly a lifetime as you don’t hit too many rocks with a top handle.

I bought an Echo that came with a goofy 57 DL bar and chain. Ditched that setup too so I could run 56 DL like all of my other saws.

Only annoying to me because I have oodles of standard dL count chains and end up having to maintain separate ones for the Homies. But I’ve got two chains for the XL now so that should last nearly a lifetime as you don’t hit too many rocks with a top handle.

I bought a Echo that came with a goofy 57 DL bar and chain. Ditched that setup too so I could run 56 DL like all of my other saws.

It’s easy for me, I only have one 16”.

I've recently started selling some firewood. I've scrounged up maple, elm, cottonwood, and some burr oak. Not sure if I'll be able to sell the cottonwood or oak since the oak seems somewhat green and the cottonwood was on the ground down at the campground. If you can get to know your county park Ranger, he/she should be able to point you towards any wood pile at the county parks. I've been learning a lot from this thread and thankful for the info.

Philbert do you know the letter designation that Oregon uses for low profile skip?
This is the most current list of Oregon retail, 'letter coding' of chains that I have (e.g. 'S56', where 'S' is the chain type, and '56' is the number of drive links).

Screen shot 2020-05-17 at 11.15.51 PM.png

Obviously, Oregon makes many more types of chain, different cutter sequences, cutter styles, etc., but they don't all get sold through hardware stores, home centers, etc. I have also seen some variation, where 'S' chain might be 91VG, or another variation of 3/8" low profile, low-kickback chain. And some retailers only stock chains for the saws that they sell (e.g. 0.325 pitch, 0.063 gauge chain can be harder to find, since it is mostly a STIHL thing). So, if you are really picky, it might be better to go through a servicing chainsaw dealer or online source that stocks more. But the retail option can be a good choice if they have what you need.

Philbert

Back