Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mustang could use a new radiator, the existing one is seeping a bit. I know, I know, it is only 14 years old! Frankly, unlike other stuff, I don't think they ever used to make them that good in the past!

I had rec'd an ad from a Mustang parts company (that gave me a great price on my brake set) for a high capacity radiator, just under $250 w/free shipping. I went to order it today and the price is over $100 more … I called to complain and was told there was a price increase, nothing they could do.

So I went to another Mustang parts company and found the same product for only $10 more than the original add from the other company, w/free shipping, and I ordered it fast!

Don't know if the second company just did not incorporate the price increase yet, or if the first company is trying to rip people off, but that is a big % increase (over 40% in just a few weeks). Was glad I found it at a reasonable price!

I noticed yesterday, when clearing some shrubs and weeds in an overgrown corner of the garden, they my old and tired garden shed that these days I use to store wood, is even more old and tired, having developed a split/rotten strut and large bulge in the end wall. It's a toss up on if it will stand when emptied I reckon. I might buy a pallet pry bar and start collecting pallets for a wood store build.... I'd double the width of the concrete base, make it half as deep again too. I could then do a 12' square store, which is divide into 3 sections. In my head, if I dismantled the pallets as I scrubbed t them I could store a lot of timber without instantly running out of space and I think I could do the entire thing from just pallet timber, a few of thousand screws and some gorilla glue. I could scarf joint the stringers to make any length strut or beam .... Probably screw together double thickness or make T or I beams actually since even the stringers are only about 75mm X 30mm. Then use the pallet deck boards for slats on the sides, Could even rip them into feather edge and use that for the roof. I could do it all! Well....I could.... In my dream world life where I have time to do what is want to that is... Then reality strikes... I've 2 girls under 5 and another just weeks away and no time for these projects..... Best buy a few more tarps guess! Or try and prop up and repair the shed, and get another year or 3 out of it.

At one point I had 5 of these, 4 of which had bad duckbills and had every bar and chain from 10-16”. I ended up selling most of them but reserved my grandpas.

Neat little saws. The only annoying thing is none of the bar configurations use standard DL count chain.
Duckbills are only about $4 bucks each, sad to get rid of of a bunch of Homelites.

Help identifying this tree at the log yard. Lt. Gray bark. The bark peeled off when fresh cut exposing a pale lemon yellow surface. Fades as seen in first photo.
Heartwood is a light brown (this is wet). Smells kind of sweet when I cut a chunk off. Don't know if it's maple; none like I've seen. Pretty heavy too although it's wet.

View attachment 828622View attachment 828624View attachment 828625
It's been 25 years since I've cut any, but that makes me think Kentucky coffee tree. Someone in the midwest could chime in on this. Doesn't look like any maple I know. Kentucky coffee tree? Anyone?

Back