Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m aware of the Humboldt cut. They take the vee out level and down, instead of level and up. The loggers use it, they say to keep the tree on the stump. I haven’t tried it. We can tell if an area was cut by loggers or not, by this cut.
Humboldt does a couple of things:
- it saves more of the usable log if it is going to a mill;
- it tends to 'throw' the tree off of the stump (if that is something that you want).
Other styles of felling cuts tend to keep the tree attached to the stump longer, depending on the situation. Some areas or projects require certain types of cuts to be used.
Link: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts.html
Philbert

The Humboldt is harder to do because gravity is working against you, but it has two main advantages:

1) more usable wood,
2) helps to prevent the log from jumping back at you, especially when felling up hill or when the drop is not "clear", so it is considered safer in those situations. A regular notch can slide back across the top of the stump, the Humboldt generally will not.

Accepted method for an uncontrolled and carnage filled fall I think

Last one I saw was about 20 years ago. A nice locust that I had passed on as it was weighted to fall on a power line. Someone else tried it later, took out the power line and pole. Very expensive firewood.

I’m aware of the Humboldt cut. They take the vee out level and down, instead of level and up. The loggers use it, they say to keep the tree on the stump. I haven’t tried it. We can tell if an area was cut by loggers or not, by this cut.

View attachment 828955

I use it quite regularly. The "keep it on the stump" is rather dubious, I find it makes the tree come off the stump most times.

thought I'd dress up the 261.$12 for the outside dawg and nuts and bolts.
View attachment 829024

I have one coming for my 461. When my saw got damaged a couple years ago, it broke off part of what the inner one attaches too. So it doesn’t work to well with only one end hanging on.

FE06F019-D5E2-494D-B0F0-0EC8BC607D28.jpeg

Drat! This popped up locally and was sold before I had a chance. Not huge into vintage saws bit this one would fit nicely with my truck of choice
cbe36d6bae08f897961c872126df3af3.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Spruce, Spruce, Spruce. Took down 3 nice size Spruce. I can't believe I didn't get pics loading the trailer. Green Spruce brush stacks tight, you can get a really big load on. This was all dead at least a year and was like stacking dried barbed wire. We would get the bush as high as we could, then put a log in the bucket and drop the bucket to crush it, then curl the bucket down to crush it more. Worked well. It was cool hearing it crush up. I think we picked up another one next door. If we do it next week I'll get better pics. Almost forgot, 4 loads went to the burn pile on the farm, one load went to the tub grinder for mulch. The last little load of brush came home to my fire pit.20200518_171522.jpg20200518_112925.jpg20200514_114448.jpg20200514_114446.jpg

72 out but feels a lot hotter.

Need to resplit about 1/3 cord of boiler wood and load the truck. Then rake up the noodles and splitter trash. Then all of my 2018-19 remaining scrounge will be gone (except for what’s still in the woods). Then we can start filling the area with boiler wood again. But this time stacked instead of thrown.

Got the remaining wood split and loaded but it was hot and the gnats were absolutely horrid.

A little bit of remaining snow under the noodle pile.
80E26834-739B-4465-9E34-D13DB01211E0.jpeg

Except for cleanup, all of the wood is gone.
258C097E-2BCD-4193-A9D2-AB892725D81E.jpeg
This load is being given to a friend although I’ll be taking home some homemade canned goods for my troubles.
80E52CA7-C834-48D4-B99E-88BA172749CB.jpeg

Latest posts

Back