Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fired up the stove again 83371541-ECF9-4E5E-81D6-DC7342664ACC.jpeg
Get to burn some more scrounged wood next couple days :) should keep the bugs down for a bit.E69B1090-446B-4C9F-8D64-698243190113.png
Gotta keep the new egg makers warm71E3C2DC-6B89-4E87-B73E-D6C59CD54E80.jpeg
The ups man dropped off some new climbers that will hopefully be way less painful on shins and make the next tree job more enjoyable 2C8B141E-C885-4818-97A2-6B7EC7466B33.jpeg

Nice to see some of the elk survived the winter and wolves F4902841-4695-4494-8202-210B2176253A.jpeg

Attachments

• 051534A6-5A88-4232-86DD-2C61F172844F.jpeg
    051534A6-5A88-4232-86DD-2C61F172844F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
Been looking around online for a set of gaffs/spurs/spikes. Seems to me the best thing is to be able to try out a few different sets in one place. Knowing my luck by the time everything opens up to the point I can visit a few places, the funds will have been appropriated elsewhere. One thing I have realised is even the very old but good used sets are expensive for someone who is only thinking of climbing a few times a year. The cost of new climbing gear is hard for me to justify, even if they do hold their value well, as evidenced by the cost of used gear. It has been suggested to me that if I don't want to take the punt on a good, used set fitting well without having the opportunity to try them in advance, then i may as well just buy a cheap set off China and flick 'em off if they fit like crap.

To be honest, I'm struggling to justify buying anything from China i can't buy from elsewhere.

Been looking around online for a set of gaffs/spurs/spikes. Seems to me the best thing is to be able to try out a few different sets in one place. Knowing my luck by the time everything opens up to the point I can visit a few places, the funds will have been appropriated elsewhere. One thing I have realised is even the very old but good used sets are expensive for someone who is only thinking of climbing a few times a year. The cost of new climbing gear is hard for me to justify, even if they do hold their value well, as evidenced by the cost of used gear. It has been suggested to me that if I don't want to take the punt on a good, used set fitting well without having the opportunity to try them in advance, then i may as well just buy a cheap set off China and flick 'em off if they fit like crap.

To be honest, I'm struggling to justify buying anything from China i can't buy from elsewhere.
Call me a hater if you like, but Chinese climbing gear just sounds like a bad idea. :dumb:

Call me a hater if you like, but Chinese climbing gear just sounds like a bad idea. :dumb:
Yeah. Put it this way, I'm trying not to support the CCP if I can avoid it and on safety gear it seems like tried and true USA made stuff is the go, but the more people i talk to the more I'm realising that apart from quality, fit is so important in climbing gaffs, and it's somewhat tricky buying used gear for that reason unless can try it out to begin with.

Michigan Dam Breaks

Hope our Michigan members are not affected by this:
https://www.abc12.com/content/news/...-residents-advised-to-evacuate-570605051.html
Coronavirus, murder hornets, let's have a dam break . . . .

Philbert
No-one I know.
The grand river here was at 12.5 this morning when I was out, "flood stage" is 15', it was already almost over the top of a trash can that must be screwed to a light pole at the fair grounds. They are calling for 16.6' here by Thursday morning. I'll get a few pictures, I think it will go higher than that.
It's funny I was telling my son before all this rain that the new pedestrian bridge over a small creek near a retirement home looked too low, he and I drove by it after the rain and the water was right up to the little bridge, I wonder if it will be effected.
The good thing for us is we are way above it, even if the dams upstream broke it wouldn't make it to our place, but it may take our town out since much of it is in the 100yr flood plain.

No-one I know. The grand river here was at 12.5 this morning when I was out, "flood stage" is 15', it was already almost over the top of a trash can that must be screwed to a light pole at the fair grounds. They are calling for 16.6' here by Thursday morning. I'll get a few pictures, I think it will go higher than that. It's funny I was telling my son before all this rain that the new pedestrian bridge over a small creek near a retirement home looked too low, he and I drove by it after the rain and the water was right up to the little bridge, I wonder if it will be effected. The good thing for us is we are way above it, even if the dams upstream broke it wouldn't make it to our place, but it may take our town out since much of it is in the 100yr flood plain.

I hate to see all that flooding! imo, ranks right up there close to fire! I see some places in Ohio this morning had a lot of flooding. we had it here too from recent storms the other day - totally torrential!!!... could hardly even see beyond it. city went near black!!! and they were kayaking in the streets! I had 3" rain in day n half... but high and dry!

now I gotta mow my lawn! lol ;)

chores were on my mind the other day, but alas... I ended up on the scrounge trail.. some burnable, some not! picked up some tree drop from the storms less that 10 min away... reach n load sort of thing. and also scrounged up a neat seat for my ranch's new Rank Park area. for under the big oak tree there. really like it...

my neighbor was tossing out these concrete seat stands. and this nice piece of slate from their family's estate auction from their parent's home in Austin, Tx. when I saw the 3 items... just said seat to me. I think it should be weather-proof enough! lol ;) I really do like the seat as to looks, function and that it is quite comfortable to sit on, too. I think it will be just idea for a cold one and sitting in the Ranch Park after a long day on the tractor...
PA270008.JPGPA270010.JPGPA270011.JPG

since I mentioned Ranch Park, I thought some of you on this thread might like to take a look-see at it. basically, it is a favorite pasture area I like a lot and keep mowed usually. so a new fence was built to keep the cows out! and off my Texas bluebonnets. and keep their 'pies'... further out into the lower pastures. ;) iukwim! pretty happy with the new fence line, it is cedar posts and RR ties for the H's I have lots of from a RR line taken out in Houston couple generations ago... and an old galv. ag gate I just happen to like. :) I plan on adding some heavy trucked in boulders in one area that usually doesn't grow much grass and a bit of landscaping there too. with cactus and such. bit arid like...

3 gates now to main compound off the FM. my ranch's new Ranch Park ~
PA210029.JPG

And mosquito repellent doesn’t do any good, I don’t know if there’s anything that does.
Have you tried a little smoke? My neighbours have a puddle, they call it a pond but it's tiny and stagnant so we get gnats and mossies. If I do a bit of evening time splitting I burn an incense stick. It's not a cure, but the smoke helps a little.

No-one I know.
The grand river here was at 12.5 this morning when I was out, "flood stage" is 15', it was already almost over the top of a trash can that must be screwed to a light pole at the fair grounds. They are calling for 16.6' here by Thursday morning. I'll get a few pictures, I think it will go higher than that.
It's funny I was telling my son before all this rain that the new pedestrian bridge over a small creek near a retirement home looked too low, he and I drove by it after the rain and the water was right up to the little bridge, I wonder if it will be effected.
The good thing for us is we are way above it, even if the dams upstream broke it wouldn't make it to our place, but it may take our town out since much of it is in the 100yr flood plain.
Your fairgrounds spend nearly as much time below water as above! ;)

In my experience trying them on is ok but you really don’t know what they are like until you start climbing. The pressure on the spur (spike) completely changes how they feel. The biggest thing is support from the bar that goes up your leg, unless there is aluminum or plastic that the bar slides into and is cupped around your shin and uses a wide strap to hold it in place is going to be uncomfortable and hurt after awhile (unless your young and tuff, lol) I would never buy or use the regular T pads with small strap myself. Other thing that really helps is a thick stiff sole in boots.

Latest posts

Back