Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FREE STUFF!!
Did I get your attention for a moment? ;)

This is an odd offer to make on a wood forum but, are their any metal worker/hobbiests here? Would a set of internal and external micrometers be of use to you? Mum is hopefully moving house soon so my brother and I are helping her clear more stuff accumulated over a lifetime..... and we found an ammo box of what I'd loosely describe as metal working precision tools. things like centre drills, taps, reams, the micrometers, a height gauge (is that the right term? used on a surface table to scribe the height on something) , dial gauge and so on. We are pretty sure these were grandads, although dad was an engineer too so some bits might be his, but basically its been in the ammo box, much wrapped in wax paper, in the loft for ..oo...err...50+ years and probably dad dug something to use briefly once a decade if that. it was all expensive tooling in its day BUT its all imperial amd we left that behind...50+ years ago. I could list it on ebay but it would only fetch a few pounds....these days you can buy a useable digital caliper for little money, why fiddle with an imperial micrometer? So I will be happy instead to send it off for free if someone wants it. Just the cost of the postage please (and a few dollars donation to a charity of your choice too maybe, up to you). Which may be a sticking point as postage across the atlantic isn't inconsiderable. I'd post any or all of it but stuff like the taps and drills etc would probably be more to post than for you to buy locally, but the micrometers and dial gauge might be worth while? If anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you some photos and answer any questions.

thanks. Now back to wood and saws.

310f5a9f68c39b30936f77554dabdd93.jpg

Well I fine tuned the tread notches, installed a couple 8" log screws to attach the treads, and cut the stringers to length.
20200713_205548.jpg
I think the total assembly weighs in around 200 pounds. They feel solid though and I don't feel any flex in them.
20200713_212457.jpg
And a final shot to include the Montana gate I installed over the entrance.
20200713_212436.jpg
A couple screws through the deck to attach the stringers tomorrow and it will be back to my regularly scheduled 1,637 other projects...

Back to boring old firewood. Cutoffs from the steps and exposed a couple more logs in the pile. Need to work on the tree service load more - between the week in the 90's and the steps, I haven't gotten much done. View attachment 842492
The steps look nice.
Locust :sweet:.
I'm not feeling too motivated in this heat myself. I think we have already had a good number more days above 90 than last yr, and more to come this week :baba:.

Probably horse and a half. Usually the duckbills in fuel and oil system go bad. Otherwise pretty reliable.

Ill make a difference fuel tank for it now that it might not be a saw. The current idea is a fan boat. We are thinking real hard before i start diving in.
I mean... a fan boat my boy can use in our swamp AND on the snow maybe [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Load of silver maple. I grow more fond of it all the time. Dries fast, coals are good, throws a good flame and its everywhere.
View attachment 842527

Only down side is the coal to coal time is not really long in my experience

Ash and black locust are my favorite. But DANG dead standing ash can be hard as a rock. Hard to split and really hard on chains.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I like the way Ash burns, and when straight grained it generally splits very easily, but I like the way Black Cherry coals up better than Ash even though Ash may have more BTUs.

I have also learned that the wood you prefer often depends on your stove and flue setup. Ash is one of the easiest hardwoods to burn and does not require much draft.

Conversely, if your draft is "too good", Ash will often not last as long as you wish.

I'm running the same air tight 55 gal drum stove, but the flue setup in our new cabin (mostly vertical with lined pipes) is 10X better than our old set up (uninsulated pipes with a lot of horizontal). Our two primary sources of fuel up there are Ash and Black Cherry.

For the overnight, we used to prefer Ash in the old cabin, in the new cabin we usually choose Black Cherry or a mix.

You don't want to get up in the middle of the night, and you always want coals in the morning!

Well this saw looks pretty promising. Supposedly just needs carb clean/kit.
carb kit and a new fuel filter. I think it could be cheaper in the long run for the occasional wood cutter to run cans of pre mix fuel. I run canned fuel in my 4 stroke weed wacker bcause I use so little, a quart or two per year.

Moving the 30 yards of large rounds off the driveway so it's easier to park, new 25" skidding tongs and the tractor make it better to move. I was splitting some of it the other day and the splitter was slow. The engine was running well but the lag was there. So i checked the couplers and the pump side was loose, the allen cap had backed off. I tightened it up but I will pull it off later and loctite the screw in better.

Whatever bro. 103 is still 103.

Heat index can make a big difference. A week ago it was 104 at 4 in the afternoon, with a feels like of 101. The same day in Naples Florida it was mid 90s with a feels like/heat index of 114. Because of high humidity.

Latest posts

Back