Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MustangMike those older escapes certainly had some mechanical issues but they were sure footed little guys. With standard car tires, my escape could out mud my suburban because it wouldn’t sink in the mud at all. Before they redid the road to my cabin, spring time was always treacherous and we buried the suburban a few times.

@MustangMike those older escapes certainly had some mechanical issues but they were sure footed little guys. With standard car tires, my escape could out mud my suburban because it wouldn’t sink in the mud at all. Before they redid the road to my cabin, spring time was always treacherous and we buried the suburban a few times.
bet that was a blast, digging a burb out of mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!

Steve, my Escape was a 2010 with the Flex Fuel V-6 and 6 speed tranny. Other than an engine computer recall, and no mechanical issues with it at all ... over 9 years!

In the end, rust was getting the better of it underneath, so I traded it in on the F-150.

Conversely, my 2006 Mustang that goes in the winter is remarkably clean underneath! Go figure!

View attachment 886335View attachment 886336

Went back in the woods and skid the main trunks of those trees I posted recently. Made two nice logs, the ash is a little punky at the base, but plenty of good wood left. It measured 19 of my soze 14 Muck boots, while the black cherry measured 19.5. The Cheery has a crack at the base, but I'm thinking I'll still be able to get a decent log out of it for lumber. The ash will be for firewood.

View attachment 886327
View attachment 886328
Also, the full wrap came in from @Haywire, and I decided to try it on the Binford 254XS instead of the 262xp I bought it for. It fit perfect. I just need to get some more of the longer screws/bolts, as one of my bottom ones was stripped out a little towards the end, so the short screw wouldn't bite. Swapped in a longer one from the side and it tightened up perfect.

Now I just need a k095 24" bar for it.
Nice logs.
Did you get that "vine" all cut up for kindling :innocent: :lol:.
I think they make an Oregon versa bar in a small mount 24.
Looks like we've got a good 5" or better, and it just started snowing heavy here again.
Yeah :happy: .

We use two trucks and the big loader to move the snow into piles. I get the joyless job of running the big Kubota with a erksine blower to send it into the woods. If we simply dump it over the fence, it freezes to the fence and pulls it down damaging the fence.....

I’ve sent many a object flying over that fence.....

Morning Chipper 1. I think you misunderstood my post- as did some others, no big deal but, Let me be clear- I didn't mind the political thread, and we all see its removal struck a nerve with some. I saw it as a valuable place- a forum for those who want to engage in political talk. At the time I made my post- there was two paces of complaints and taking shots at the owners about there wasn't a political forum, and nothing to view about your scrounging efforts. I enjoy seeing what you guys fo through to acquire your wood. I don't have to go far, myself, and have a skidder and a tractor, so my scrounging isn't- its more like getting it from 10-20 acres away and cleaning it up, improving my hunting lanes..... I watch Chainsaw forum alot, but don't mod them or collect them. I have ten that work just fine whenever I use them. I don't have an OWB, but I sit in that forum too- because I do burn firewood I CSS. (I like to smoke Pork, Beef and Fish). I do give away a couple of cord per year to my best friend who is an elder in his JW congregation, and he gets it to people who need it, even in our mild Florida winters- I'm sure its those people only heat. Naturally I look at the OTF- just for the WTF stickie, and the Craigslist saga. Not bringing a stick to the fire? Look- I'm not a taker, I'm a giver, but you guys don't want to hear from me about scrounging wood when it falls down around my acreage by itself. I can commiserate with you about snow, I've been neck deep in it in NY,, PA, Mass. VT and Colorado, and other parts of the world, but I live on the beach, and my acreage 25 minutes away is flat as a pancake, and its never snowed there. As much as I hate to play with my cell phone as a camera or anything other than a phone- (when I get done working at the end of the day, I turn off two laptops and four monitors, and want to get AWAY from these things) I will take a few photos, and post them with a new message in Show Me your woodpile, or the Woodtractor threads, so I might be considered worthy of some status or another- anything other than a taker, or lurker, or non- contributor, or oh my god- did someone call me Gunny? Aint picking no fights, just trying to relay, I don't feel like you should put me on the JV team, I can come in off the bench on the varsity- I do have some intelligence and skills in common with many of you.
Not sure that I misunderstood.
There are many posts in this thread that are completely off the topic of scrounging(wood anyway). While the thread started off as a way to gather ideas on where and how to gather wood, I feel it still holds tru to that ideal, although what is scrounging to one may not exactly be scrounging to another. I started reading/posting in here as a learning experience with a great group of guys and have continued to do that even though things have changed and I felt much the way I believe you did/do in regards to my scounges not being those others would be interested in. I also have a skidding winch although it's one on my tractor and not an actual skidder, just as a good number of the guys have in this thread, we enjoy seeing pictures of any equipment for harvesting wood no matter your "scrounging" situation. There are scrounges of wheelbarrow loads for outdoor fireplaces to scrounges with all out logging equipment, I enjoy hearing them all as they all have much adventure in them. Heck I posted pictures the other day of wood I hauled in from the woodshed, if it helps someone else who's getting started or someone who's been scrounging for yrs I'm glad it helps.
Post your pictures if you get a min and feel up to it or just type a post out.
Many of us have different beliefs in here and are in totally different situations, I think there's added value when it's such a diverse group, we would love to hear what you have to say.
My point was, don't just drop in and spout your opinions when you've added nothing to the conversation, and I believe that's how others felt as well. I know not everything I say is liked by all here, but they know I also am willing to give, so it seems they have at least tolerated me lol.
Yeah, I compared you to gunny, your last post in here many yrs ago sounded like something he could have said talking about underwear in a bunch or something :laugh:.
I never thought you were on the JV team, but rather it seemed like you were the coach who came around right when we were going to win and then wanted to tell us how to do it:buttkick: :rare2:.
Pretty open group of guys in here who I've learned a lot from, that's why I keep coming back.
If I did misunderstand your post I'm sorry.

Reading this at first glance in a chainsaw forum . . .

Philbert
I looked at that sideways for a min too, but not more than a min lol.
When I'm running searched on Craigslist one of the things that still get's me is "chainsaw" cases, I look thinking I wander what models saws, only to realize it's a case :cry:.
I do have a digital depth gauge tool . . . .
View attachment 886664

Philbert
I would like one of those, preferably one not made in china, do you know of any.
My vernier calipers were bought at Aldis, they're made in Germany :p.

Nice logs.
Did you get that "vine" all cut up for kindling :innocent: :lol:.
I think they make an Oregon versa bar in a small mount 24.

Yeah :happy: .

We were at 6" on the ruler this morning, been snowing all day. I bet we're between 7-8" now. Loving it!! Only bummer is I'm a little under the weather. Wasn't 100% yesterday while playing in the woods, and felt worse after. Took the day off work for job #1, may take tomorrow off also.

Yeah, that freaking Carolina creeper vine followed me all the way out, LOL.

Will look for a bar, I was looking a Sugi but they are spendy.

Back