Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A real pain in the 'rear end', so to speak . . .

Philbert
That's funny.
Wait, me or the rust :laugh:.
You could stick your head through the rust holes on my 04' chevy pickup. Keep your eye out for a Victory Red 6' box, I may need one soon.
:crazy2:
There's a guy not far from me(he lives around the corner), his family hauls a lot of rust free parts up from the SW. They deal more with ford, but I think he will get other items if he has a buyer.
I have a red tailgate here(little older though), it's not bad rust wise, I picked it up off the road, someone else's bed must have been rusted too lol.
The rear shock mount rusted off the frame of my 08 Dodge.
Yeah, when you were talking about it I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach :surprised3:, I can't stand rust and it's disappointing that they put out so much junk these days.
Hasn't leaked since but I really dont trust it specially towing 15k pounds.
I wouldn't either, I also wouldn't want it to spray all over whatever I was hauling.
Bu I guess for a minute it will be fine, besides if it leaks and blows up at least you have a new one coming, what's the worst that could happen :lol:.

That's funny.
Wait, me or the rust :laugh:.

:crazy2:
There's a guy not far from me(he lives around the corner), his family hauls a lot of rust free parts up from the SW. They deal more with ford, but I think he will get other items if he has a buyer.
I have a red tailgate here(little older though), it's not bad rust wise, I picked it up off the road, someone else's bed must have been rusted too lol.

Yeah, when you were talking about it I was getting a sick feeling in my stomach :surprised3:, I can't stand rust and it's disappointing that they put out so much junk these days.

I wouldn't either, I also wouldn't want it to spray all over whatever I was hauling.
Bu I guess for a minute it will be fine, besides if it leaks and blows up at least you have a new one coming, what's the worst that could happen :lol:.
One of the hinges rotted off mine a couple weeks ago. I did manage to find enough sheet metal left to weld a piece of angle iron to the box and scab it back together. Two days later, I smoked a big doe on the way home from work and took out the grill.

Air is absolutely more dense in the winter hence the need to retune saws so they don’t burn up. Cold air is harder on lungs plus being bundled up can cause a guy to over do it quickly. Especially things like getting a snowmobile stuck!
dang, slapped right down......

....... Did you ever get that saw running? ........
I never started on it. I went through a bit of a rough patch at the time I bought the saw (hence my mini melt down) and just put it away on the shelf.

But it's my plan to start working on it soon and have it ready for the upcoming firewood season in April? My neighbor is not going to be much help. He never did a pressure/vacuum test, so I'm on my own.

Hey fellers. How’s everyone doing? Having been on in a while hope all is well. Been busy working and wife started school for Rn so not much extra time. I only cut about 8 cords so far this winter kinda sucks but oh well is what it is just wanted to say hey

Visit with the neuro surgeon Monday. He showed the MRI pics of my back. L5 is almost pinched off, That is one vertibra above what he did 2 years ago. I am now waiting for the operation to be scheduled.

Still able to to be out splitting old locust rounds and piling them. Just have to be a bit active for about 5 minutes and the leg pain goes away.

I'm moving the 'uglies' straight to the back porch to feed the fire. In the past they went onto a thrown pile and burned first in the fall. I figured since it is dry wood save a move and burn it as I it accumulates.

It’s time for a new saw for the hiking trail volunteer work I do. I’ve been using a Homelite XL for a long time. It needs work, and I have a surge in volunteers right now. I want a saw that’ll keep them dragging brush away, instead of standing around. The Homelite XL would normally be considered mismatched, with the 18” bar it has. I weighed the whole saw at 9 lbs. I think that type of mismatch is good for brushing. It gives some reach into the bushes, but isn’t heavier than it needs to be. Most cuts are well within what the smallest power head could do. And we could just take it easy with the bigger cuts, or bring in a bigger saw just for those. We’re working 4-1/4 miles back on the trail right now, it’ll be almost 7 miles back eventually. We don‘t have stock to carry our equipment, the saw needs to be carried in along with backpacking gear. So lightweight is essential. Our group’s parent organization might purchase the saw for us, I’m thinking Stihl. I looked at the 193 T and 193 C-E online. What do you guys think on this subject?

We’re mostly cutting 1/2” to 3” bushes.
6005FCAF-3785-47A6-93CB-EBA6DB19A118.jpeg
4412A9D1-B92C-407D-8B35-B428F61C3579.jpeg
60649E91-D843-4CDD-9F11-58DE30E9471D.jpeg
2D589DDD-B067-4050-A082-8F83F5783B98.jpeg

Occasionally we’re cutting trees like this.
DB9D8B1B-DFD4-42F7-86E2-78AB77FA843F.jpeg
78371595-7895-431A-8AA0-903BC552A513.jpeg

And this is a rare bigger one, it was probably 15-16 inches. It’s oak. Only a couple times I’ve had to cut trees 18 to 22 inches.
8DA49E80-F4E4-4CB7-894A-DC61A61E7C83.jpeg
BEEBA151-BAEA-493C-B961-370F9A4B4795.jpeg

It’s time for a new saw for the hiking trail volunteer work I do. I’ve been using a Homelite XL for a long time. It needs work, and I have a surge in volunteers right now. I want a saw that’ll keep them dragging brush away, instead of standing around. The Homelite XL would normally be considered mismatched, with the 18” bar it has. I weighed the whole saw at 9 lbs. I think that type of mismatch is good for brushing. It gives some reach into the bushes, but isn’t heavier than it needs to be. Most cuts are well within what the smallest power head could do. And we could just take it easy with the bigger cuts, or bring in a bigger saw just for those. We’re working 4-1/4 miles back on the trail right now, it’ll be almost 7 miles back eventually. We don‘t have stock to carry our equipment, the saw needs to be carried in along with backpacking gear. So lightweight is essential. Our group’s parent organization might purchase the saw for us, I’m thinking Stihl. I looked at the 193 T and 193 C-E online. What do you guys think on this subject?

View attachment 888749
View attachment 888750
View attachment 888751
View attachment 888752

View attachment 888755
View attachment 888756

And this is a rare bigger one, it was probably 15-16 inches. It’s oak. Only a couple times I’ve had to cut trees 18 to 22 inches.
View attachment 888757
View attachment 888758
That's some beauty country there, man.

I weighed the whole saw at 9 lbs. . . . I’m thinking Stihl. I looked at the 193 T and 193 C-E online. What do you guys think on this subject?
ECHO claims to have the lightest 2-cycle saw. Check out their CS-2511P, and 2511T. 5-6 pounds 'dry weight'
For battery, check out Makita XCU06Z (batteries, but no fuel to carry or leak). 6.6 pounds with battery.

Both of these are also very compact to carry, although, top handle saws require users that understand their hazards.

For small, brushy stuff, a larger, folding Silky saw works nicely, with long reach and less tangling than a power saw.
http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws...360mm-Med-Teeth-Hand-Saw#sthash.R4aKyDYU.dpbs
I also like anvil style, compound loppers, that cut up to 1-1/2" branches, without all of the chainsaw PPE, noise, starting issues, training needs, etc About $40:
https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/fl-3420-compound-action-anvil-lopper-32-in.html
Philbert

For small, brushy stuff, a larger, folding Silky saw works nicely, with long reach and less tangling than a power saw.
http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws...360mm-Med-Teeth-Hand-Saw#sthash.R4aKyDYU.dpbs
I also like anvil style, compound loppers, that cut up to 1-1/2" branches, without all of the chainsaw PPE, noise, starting issues, training needs, etc About $40:
https://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/fl-3420-compound-action-anvil-lopper-32-in.html

We use both of those, but they’re way too time consuming for the areas thick with brush. At least one chainsaw is a must, the rest of the crew have hand tools.

View attachment 888749
View attachment 888750
View attachment 888751
View attachment 888752

View attachment 888755
View attachment 888756

View attachment 888757
View attachment 888758
I'd be looking at a ms180 for a couple reasons. Probably only a pound heavier than the wee 193. I'd imagine a bunch cheaper. You can put a 16" bar on it which combined with the rear handle, gives a good reach. You'd feel better letting someone else run it both because it's cheap and inherently safer than a top handle. Plus it will have enough jam to (if you're patient) handle the occasional larger job. My two cents

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You ever consider something like this? There is a few videos showing it. https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/husqvarna-535fbx-forestry-clearing-saw
Not wood but a cool scrounge while wandering around in the woods at the farm.
9fc7326eceb49d18e764b1cb1c766e96.jpg
e33cc58dfcba50cefdb534830a7ef229.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

View attachment 888749
View attachment 888750
View attachment 888751
View attachment 888752

View attachment 888755
View attachment 888756

View attachment 888757
View attachment 888758

Back