Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A reason others give for swapping is it takes longer to cut with the wider chain, and you’re already dealing with a low power saw. The Homelite XL I had been using is 1/4 pitch, and I liked it good for brushing.
I don't like sharpening 1/4" chain. Too many little teeth. Seems to get used up fast. I would prefer the 3/8 low profile, narrow kerf (Oregon Type 90), or the new Oregon 'Nano' chain.

Philbert

Attachments

• 7629DA33-B069-4F07-A16D-3B3DBA6D90EB.jpeg
    7629DA33-B069-4F07-A16D-3B3DBA6D90EB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 41777500-959C-461D-ACC6-55DB04F29990.jpeg
    41777500-959C-461D-ACC6-55DB04F29990.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
I messaged back and forth on YouTube this morning with a guy from the last topping/felling video, he said him and his son have used the CS-271 for two years now. He says it’s a fine little saw, but they bought an MS193 after and its a much much much better saw. I was in the comments of a video comparing the two saws, and it was half Stihl people saying Echo is poorly made, and half Echo people saying Stihl is overpriced junk. With that ratio you don’t know what to think. I’ve seen good and bad reviews on both. I finally did find a negative video on the Echo CS-271. He was up in a tree on a job, and the saw kept backfiring when he started it, and dying when he put it on his hip. He said it went back to Echo twice. Shops won’t work on them, they have to send them to the manufacturer. He said it still had the same problem both times it came back. He said he wanted to like the saw, but it was getting hard to do. Another negative I have with Echo, I posted on their Facebook page about the negative experience I had with one of their dealers who couldn’t be bothered to provide his services (like someone here suggested I do), and asking for someone who would help. Echo removed the comment, and didn’t contact me to try and help. They’re not sounding like a manufacturer whose product I’d like to have.
That sucks. I see they have several different pages. Echo Global looks to be the one to use.

I'm surprised to hear someone would pick a ms193 over the echo. Did the stihls pickup some power since the 192 version, or am I missing something? My neighbor picked up a echo 355t and it's a laser compared to my 192tc. Close to the same weight, both with 14" bars. Mines just a little turd.

Oooooh pretty! Nice amount of the fluffy stuff with a nice bright sun today (although the pine does a good job of hiding it in the picture). Going out in a couple hours to clean and have fun with the two eldest!

Attachments

• 3F82DEA5-2801-473E-862B-D4CD92B1370E.jpeg
    3F82DEA5-2801-473E-862B-D4CD92B1370E.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
I think companies hired engineers to figure out how to make them break down faster.

People still have these running from the early fifties, with little or no work to them. I know people, and see others in the refrigerator section of an International Harvester forum.

View attachment 890155
View attachment 890156
View attachment 890157
I had a 1959 GE in my old house trailer on the farm. I left my power on 24-7 because I left a few beers, can of coffee, bottled water and a few other things in it. My cousin is so cheap he will turn around on a dual lane high way to save a penny on gas. He was leaving after hunting and stopped in to say good bye. He saw my fridge door closed and said, don’t forget to leave your door open so it doesn’t mildew. I said, NO, I leave mine on year round. The power company charges a fee whether you use it or not, and I always have cold stuff here when I come up. My BIL was staying an extra day and heard my cousin say leave the door open, and when I was leaving, I told him to leave the power on. He did both. That was in November. We came back up in July and there was water all over the kitchen, the freezer was a solid block of ice. We defrosted in and cleaned up the mess. It worked the rest of that weekend, but next time we went up it was dead.

My wife said she’s going down to see Grammy before it snows. Said we are supposed to get a foot tonight. I guess I better slime the tractor tire and put it on stands to let it spin the tires for the slime. While it’s spinning, I’ll make a bracket for the two new 50 pound weights. With me that makes 450 pounds on the X540, hope it doesn’t spin.

Back