Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife said she’s going down to see Grammy before it snows. Said we are supposed to get a foot tonight. I guess I better slime the tractor tire and put it on stands to let it spin the tires for the slime. While it’s spinning, I’ll make a bracket for the two new 50 pound weights. With me that makes 450 pounds on the X540, hope it doesn’t spin.
Look for a product called multi seal. It's the cat's bottoms for leaky tires and seals up to a 5/8" hole. I run it in all my trailer tires and skid steer tires. As long as the tire is rotating it will seal without the leftover mess of a slime.

...I broke the pull cord on my snowblower so I took out the ol’ scoop (yes I could’ve used electric start I guess). Really not bad for 25 minutes.. I thought it was going to take longer than that with the scoop...... ok fine my neighbor saw me and saved my life with his tractor. I can’t wait until the right tractor for us comes on the market! Shouldn’t have given my better snowblower away at the start of the season. Anyway, the boys and I then took out the skidoo and enjoyed the white stuff! I couldn’t use the 4 wheeler much since it was so light and fluffy so the citation earned its keep today. When the boys were in the garage taking a break, that’s when the beast was unleashed. No joke this single 250 amazes me. I don’t abuse it but I sure as heck use it as a toy and it’s amazing every time! We also went for a quick rip behind the house and now the boys are pooped, the driveway is clean and the toys are back in the garage. Over and out!

Attachments

• C66A5460-FE2B-448C-B257-1AC6B04673EF.jpeg
    C66A5460-FE2B-448C-B257-1AC6B04673EF.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 114BBDE4-8845-4279-B672-0F73969C3B83.jpeg
    114BBDE4-8845-4279-B672-0F73969C3B83.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • FBAEE35E-E97C-44E7-9FEF-A46F8B61DD60.jpeg
    FBAEE35E-E97C-44E7-9FEF-A46F8B61DD60.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • A8064C71-0ABA-4468-9231-3F44EAC23123.jpeg
    A8064C71-0ABA-4468-9231-3F44EAC23123.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 11466D4A-DBD1-47E5-9CEA-A62DAD874525.jpeg
    11466D4A-DBD1-47E5-9CEA-A62DAD874525.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 39C78CB3-4BD7-4B8D-8C97-3057F3565141.jpeg
    39C78CB3-4BD7-4B8D-8C97-3057F3565141.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 30
My wife said she’s going down to see Grammy before it snows. Said we are supposed to get a foot tonight. I guess I better slime the tractor tire and put it on stands to let it spin the tires for the slime. While it’s spinning, I’ll make a bracket for the two new 50 pound weights. With me that makes 450 pounds on the X540, hope it doesn’t spin.
You sound about as bad as me. Have the tires filled with washer fluid, 2 75lb weights on the outside of each wheel 2 50lb weights on the I side if each wheel and this little concrete weight that I strapped in between the 3pt arms on my cub. Still spins but not nearly as bad as it did.

Our mountain place is 5,300’, and you go over 6,100‘ the common way in. You could come up from below too, it’s a long way around and might not be cleared. Me and my son cleared seventeen trees coming in that way a couple years ago. We mostly stay away until the snow is gone.

One problem I see with getting an Echo 271 is even when I say “Echo 271” they’re still thinking Stihl, so we’re talking about two different saws, but don’t know it. There would be an ongoing problem getting people to know which saw I’m working with.

I think companies hired engineers to figure out how to make them break down faster.

People still have these running from the early fifties, with little or no work to them. I know people, and see others in the refrigerator section of an International Harvester forum.

View attachment 890155
View attachment 890156
View attachment 890157
Is that a diesel lol.
Oops! I read it again and see you’re talking about the Echo 355t. It’s 3/4 lb heavier than the Stihl MS193. I hadn’t looked into the 355 before.
You really need to get your hands on these saws and cut with them.
One problem I see with getting an Echo 271 is even when I say “Echo 271” they’re still thinking Stihl, so we’re talking about two different saws, but don’t know it. There would be an ongoing problem getting people to know which saw I’m working with.
Pretty sure you'd be okay with an echo, the rare negative comment I see by anyone who owns them isn't enough to make me not buy one if the overall value(quality, parts availablity, customer service if needed, actually performance ) is there. Pretty sure all those little echos are Japanese made, where are the others made :innocent:. I'm looking forward to trying the new echo 70cc saw, 7410 iirc.

...I broke the pull cord on my snowblower so I took out the ol’ scoop (yes I could’ve used electric start I guess). Really not bad for 25 minutes.. I thought it was going to take longer than that with the scoop...... ok fine my neighbor saw me and saved my life with his tractor. I can’t wait until the right tractor for us comes on the market! Shouldn’t have given my better snowblower away at the start of the season. Anyway, the boys and I then took out the skidoo and enjoyed the white stuff! I couldn’t use the 4 wheeler much since it was so light and fluffy so the citation earned its keep today. When the boys were in the garage taking a break, that’s when the beast was unleashed. No joke this single 250 amazes me. I don’t abuse it but I sure as heck use it as a toy and it’s amazing every time! We also went for a quick rip behind the house and now the boys are pooped, the driveway is clean and the toys are back in the garage. Over and out!
Great pics, man. Good times with the kiddos!

You mean the Echo 271?
No I meant 355t. Only echo top handle I've run. I was very impressed with its speed and handling in the tree.
Is that a diesel lol.

Pretty sure you'd be okay with an echo, the rare negative comment I see by anyone who owns them isn't enough to make me not buy one if the overall value(quality, parts availablity, customer service if needed, actually performance ) is there. Pretty sure all those little echos are Japanese made, where are the others made :innocent:. I'm looking forward to trying the new echo 70cc saw, 7410 iirc.
I agree. Although I'm not a echo fanboy, I know plenty of people that have had their saws for a very long time. My younger brother has has a little cs330(? I thik) for so long its pathetic. Does excellent for him. The neighbor just picked up a 355t and has has a cs670 for years. He has been typically 5 to 6 cords a year with it, till I started helping him. It doesnt cut that much anymore as I'm normally running my saws but a decent saw to run non the less. Its given him practically no issues to speak of. Heck even the township I formally worked for started to transition to echo products. I truly think for the class of saw your looking at (top handle) an echo just ticks all the boxes, no matter the model.

When I set up my X320, the actual cast iron suitcase weights were god awful expensive. I scrounged a bucket full of wheel weights and melted them down with a camp stove and a rosebud and used a dollar store bread pan for a mold. I believe I had just shy of 120lbs. to start with, and I ended up with 4 weights that averaged 24lbs. after the rim clips were skimmed off. If memory serves me right, the angle iron frame weighed around eight lbs.20210217_135116.jpg20210217_135303.jpg20210217_135313.jpg

Temperature rose to 18* this morning with plenty of sunshine and a bearable north wind. Decided it was as good a day as any to put old red back together after plastering a big doe a few weeks ago. Can't complain, a China's best aftermarket grill, both headlight brackets, a pair of turn signal bulbs and a can of Ace hardware banner red gloss enamel was just under $150.20210201_122336.jpg20210201_122221.jpg20210217_141131.jpg

Agreed, but how?

Tomorrow I’ll be in the small town nearest the mountains, there’s a hardware store that’s both Stihl and Echo dealers. The loggers and locals go to them, they have the biggest inventory I’ve seen. I’ll go ask them, and get quotes.

Pretty sure all those little echos are Japanese made, where are the others made

I found something saying Stihl has had a factory in China for 10 years, I didn’t know that. My 461 says made in Germany. I also know some are made in Virginia. So I searched trying to find where the MS193 is made, I found this on the Stihl 193 page. “A majority of STIHL gasoline-powered units sold in the United States are built in the United States from domestic and foreign parts and components.” It doesn’t answer the question. I recently bought a chain hoist, and was able to find that it was USA made (on the manufacturers product description page). I looked because I was finding that some of that company’s products are made in China. Usually if I can’t find out where a specific product is made, and I know some of that conpany’s products are made in China, I won’t buy it.

They told me I needed narrow kerf bars to run the narrow kerf chain, but the bars were on back order. I used the narrow kerf chain on my regular bars and never looked back!

All of the Ash post and beam for my cabin were cut that way.

All were 6.5" X 6.5" Ash - 8 12', 4 20' 2 17' and 3 27' (plus some extras that were either not needed or were defective). One of them must have had a lot of tension and exploded right after it was milled! We heard it cracking and got the heck away from it!

Back