Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I ever had some one else do my tires, and only a few times in bad weather let them do my oil. When I bought my new truck two years ago, I got a note in the mail for two free oil changes. I had just scheduled for them to put a brake controller in the truck, and added the free oil change. When I got there the clerk said if I got all of my oil changes at that dealership, they warranted the engine for life. They charge $70 for oil and rotation, so now I let them do it. Being the twin turbo they have to put good oil in it.
sounds like a heck of a deal, rf - for life? yours or the engines? just wondering....

'yes, sir! new engine time, not covered! says for life... I know... 485,000 miles!... but sadly, the rod bearing wore, it threw the rod, through the block... and oh well... that's it! dead. we warrantied if for its life!'

;) :givebeer:

Cold is well just dependant upon the climate your used to. Butter on the table 3' away from the stove stays hard but its still comfortable inside, I can go out to the outhouse in my boots or crocs in 2'of snow and its do-able. From the Arctic to Norway/Sweden to my stomping ground any day, no bugs! Hot places arent my thing, and more effort is required to keep my beer cold. I have worked in most of the southern states and a few crappy desert regions in the middle east, hell i'd take cold anyday!
one has not lived until they can add that to their repetoire of life's best? experiences... an AK bushman will relish such convenience in the death of winter's grasp... and not cold outhouse exp? ha... no comment needed!

and i can say, been there, done that! brrr... of a morning! central Ohio... middle of winter. pipes frozen... and Mother Nature tapping my shoulder! 14" cold snow.

... and out to the cold (very) outhouse we trek'd....

1613670194487.png

I don't go out of my way for sass but it is a good fire starter. I found some splits in a pile of wood i had bought and it was super dry and very light. I guess the guy I got this load from was a real scrounger. I found about a dozen or so wrist size pieces of grapevine cut to length. :crazy2: That stuff is great fire starter.
I was at a craft show almost 40 years ago and a guy had a bunch of Mandolins he made. I wanted one to hang on the wall just because they were pretty. He played Amazing Grace on one for me. It had the softest sound, and with that song, almost brought tears to my eyes. It was honey colored, almost like Oak. It was very light. I asked what it was. It was Sassafras. I still have it, unfortunately, I can't carry a tune in a 10 quart bucket, much less play it. It's still pretty.

So I’ll go ahead with the purchase, then get with you when I can measure it?

I haven’t found anything to back up Rich not liking the CS-271. I found several favorable reviews. Most YouTube videos are “Look at my new saw”, those don’t help me. A few were of people who have been using them for a time.

if u get the E CS-271 - pretty sure you will like it! i :heart: mine! actually, like all my Echo stuff. :yes: if ur deal is for both would be interested in ur thots on the 2511, too... no doubt cute n sassy! my 271 is anything but a toy saw! :chainsaw:

Guys... dudes... homies and sisters... we finally got a tractor!! So I’ve been kinda wishing and dreaming for a couple years now for a tractor. I’m literally a little kid now. TRACTORS ARE SO FUN TO DRIVE. Oh yeah it’s my first tractor. Ok so we contemplated buying new + interest (disgusting) or buying used. For our first tractor we couldn’t justify 50k pre-interest or 68k after 15 years so we decided to go used. Holy is it ever fun. I always dreamed of sitting in orange or green. The day has come. 2007 Kubota B7800 with loader/bucket and snowblower. I know you Americans don’t use snowblowers much but they’re the thing to have here. I for once want some more snow. The boys wanted to come in after being outside two hours so I stayed for another hour and played around with this thing. Okok I’ll stop rambling since most of you guys already have a tractor. Anyway, here’s a few pictures. The two areas beside the garage were never properly cleaned. A few minutes later and it’s now clean and prettier on both sides! The goal for this tractor this summer is to find the best way for us to make it useful on our wood lot! Yeeeeeeeya!

Attachments

• 484318EE-BE2F-4155-8B0F-AD365C383477.jpeg
    484318EE-BE2F-4155-8B0F-AD365C383477.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 51F6E2FE-DFB2-410D-9895-B7E401341DFE.jpeg
    51F6E2FE-DFB2-410D-9895-B7E401341DFE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 42
  • 6E544161-9C1E-45E5-AE57-0C0B6F7F26E9.jpeg
    6E544161-9C1E-45E5-AE57-0C0B6F7F26E9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 0293EA74-F6BD-49DA-82FD-38BE816109CC.jpeg
    0293EA74-F6BD-49DA-82FD-38BE816109CC.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 10740738-D491-44DD-96C6-A8A2F786D399.jpeg
    10740738-D491-44DD-96C6-A8A2F786D399.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • F26C115F-58D2-4C4F-BDD7-7835E9D8174D.jpeg
    F26C115F-58D2-4C4F-BDD7-7835E9D8174D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
A couple days ago I posted that my Blue Birds are back in town. I saw a Male fly in the box, so I started watching, and 4 came out of the box. I read that they will squeeze as many in a box as they can to stay warm. Yesterday I saw two fly in, then a third male stood in the hole and kept sticking his head and shoulders in. I was wondering if there were so many in there he wouldn't fit. Then a female flew up and sat on the fence. Every time he would lean forward, she would get closer. One time he leaned half way in the hole and the female flew up, landed on his back, ducked her head down and ran right up his back and into the hole. The Three Stooges couldn't have done better.
mqwPfWt.jpg

one has not lived until they can add that to their repetoire of life's best? experiences... an AK bushman will relish such convenience in the death of winter's grasp... and not cold outhouse exp? ha... no comment needed!

and i can say, been there, done that! brrr... of a morning! central Ohio... middle of winter. pipes frozen... and Mother Nature tapping my shoulder! 14" cold snow.

... and out to the cold (very) outhouse we trek'd....

View attachment 890496

I did the 'AK outhouse' back in 1956, My first assignment in the AF was NE Cape, St. Lawrence, AK. I thought that was remote. Nope, couple months later they moved me to the opposite end of the island at a small army detachment. "facility" there was a couple 50 gal drums with a 2-holer built over them. Flap door allowed forklift to pick up the barrels for burning. Absolutely no insulation at all, only protecion was that flap door that fit looely. Good wind would blow straight up. Real fun at around 20 below.

I did the 'AK outhouse' back in 1956,
Spent a summer in AK in a remote location. The outhouse had two stories: snow accumulation in winter required the upper level (‘waste’ traveled down a stove pipe, past the first story).

Upper level also had a pile of pebbles: apparently, one has to ‘weight’ the toilet paper when windy.

Philbert

I did the 'AK outhouse' back in 1956, My first assignment in the AF was NE Cape, St. Lawrence, AK. I thought that was remote. Nope, couple months later they moved me to the opposite end of the island at a small army detachment. "facility" there was a couple 50 gal drums with a 2-holer built over them. Flap door allowed forklift to pick up the barrels for burning. Absolutely no insulation at all, only protecion was that flap door that fit looely. Good wind would blow straight up. Real fun at around 20 below.
Out at Philmont, in NM, they had one, two, and three holers. Of course this was in the summer, but no building, no door, nothing but a wooden box over a hole in the ground. This is the 368,000 acre Scout Ranch. The single seaters were called fighter planes. The two seaters were Pilot and Co Pilot, and the three seaters were Pilot, Co Pilot, and Bombardier. They were all on a grassy knoll, with a beautiful view. I think most of the boys would hold their poop till they were ready to burst before sitting on one of those things.

Latest posts

Back