Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Saiso Congratulations - I appreciate that grin. You will have no trouble finding uses in your wood lot. Do you have a trailer you can pull around with it?
Enjoy!
I haven’t decided what I’m doing yet. My wood lot is 10 minutes east. Whether I drive it there in the spring or float is there, is the question. So I either cough up 40$ ish twice a year to bring it there and back or buy a trailer for 2k? I’m guessing and does the trick too. Now I also need to find a way to make it worth my money on my wood lot so either a trailer to haul 16in firewood, some 4-8’ length or simply a few chains to bring out a few sections at a time. All unknown to me really.. will all depend on the market and what youtube/AS can provide as far as information and how to/what to :)

The one at our cabin in the mountains was built by the CCC in the late 1930's. We have to tip it up and apply some clean-out every 20 years or so. During hunting season first guy out in the morning is the seat warmer, then the parade of guys hoping to catch a warm seat lines up by the stove awaiting their turn.

P1070868.JPG

This last time, we noticed it had gradually been getting shorter as the bottom ends of the side boards were rotting away. So, we banded the bottom with some PT two bys. Something I guess the CCC never considered?

Burned a load of black locust "unstackables" for the polar vortex a couple nights ago. Reportedly down to -9°F. Was rewarded with a nice bed of glowing coals in the morning and everything still up to temp.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ash and highly valuable black walnut programming.

@Philbert do you have any experience with the redesigned Husqvarna helmet? Looks to be better built than the last one.
Have not compared them. Husky, like STIHL, probably has several versions (homeowner, mid range, professional), plus, some others sold in other countries that you may have seen.

Philbert

Guys... dudes... homies and sisters... we finally got a tractor!! So I’ve been kinda wishing and dreaming for a couple years now for a tractor. I’m literally a little kid now. TRACTORS ARE SO FUN TO DRIVE. Oh yeah it’s my first tractor. Ok so we contemplated buying new + interest (disgusting) or buying used. For our first tractor we couldn’t justify 50k pre-interest or 68k after 15 years so we decided to go used. Holy is it ever fun. I always dreamed of sitting in orange or green. The day has come. 2007 Kubota B7800 with loader/bucket and snowblower. I know you Americans don’t use snowblowers much but they’re the thing to have here. I for once want some more snow. The boys wanted to come in after being outside two hours so I stayed for another hour and played around with this thing. Okok I’ll stop rambling since most of you guys already have a tractor. Anyway, here’s a few pictures. The two areas beside the garage were never properly cleaned. A few minutes later and it’s now clean and prettier on both sides! The goal for this tractor this summer is to find the best way for us to make it useful on our wood lot! Yeeeeeeeya!
That's great, congratulations.
Just used mine yesterday to clear out some snow around the round pile then where I plan on making another pile of splits to sell next fall. I also moved the splitter near the pile, which was in 1.5' merican(around 45 centimeters ;)).
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.28.59 PM.png
A nice set of hooks on the bucket sure is nice, and one in the center would be too, although I don't have one.
Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 5.29.41 PM.png
I haven’t decided what I’m doing yet. My wood lot is 10 minutes east. Whether I drive it there in the spring or float is there, is the question. So I either cough up 40$ ish twice a year to bring it there and back or buy a trailer for 2k? I’m guessing and does the trick too. Now I also need to find a way to make it worth my money on my wood lot so either a trailer to haul 16in firewood, some 4-8’ length or simply a few chains to bring out a few sections at a time. All unknown to me really.. will all depend on the market and what youtube/AS can provide as far as information and how to/what to :)
I like trailers, besides how you gonna get all the wood you'll be gathering back to the house, and what if you need to bring the tractor back to the house for a bit. A 16' trailer would be the shortest I'd go, 20 would be nicer, but I don't remember what you would be pulling it with so that may be a determining factor.
I snagged this 14' trailer up, it's fine for the tractor and loader, but it was a little short to get the setup and the rototiller. With a 16 you could get the quad and the tractor on there.
This is my b2920(the one above is the L3800), it's about the same size as yours for reference.
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 10.38.42 PM.png

@Philbert do you have any experience with the redesigned Husqvarna helmet? Looks to be better built than the last one.
I've heard good things about the new climbing one from husky, and I saw a video a guy liked the new one you're probably talking about.
Just today I saw a new stihl helmet, it didn't have ears attached and it seemed to be styled more like a climbing helmet. It looked real cheap, reminded me of a party hat someone would wear for new yrs lol. I didn't have time to look at it, but I will next time I'm there, if it's as light looking at it appeared and is rated well I'd consider it, even though I may be late for the party :laugh:.

Yeah, the climbing helmets are even another category. Mine is MSA, and I didn’t ’need’ one, but got the opportunity to try it. Really like how it fits and holds, especially with the ear muffs down. Forget that I have it on.

Great for maneuvering through brush, etc., even on the ground. Does not offer the sun or rain protection of a brimmed helmet.

Good to have choices.

Philbert

Now I also need to find a way to make it worth my money on my wood lot so either a trailer to haul 16in firewood, some 4-8’ length or simply a few chains to bring out a few sections at a time. All unknown to me really.. will all depend on the market and what youtube/AS can provide as far as information and how to/what to :)
Forgot to answer this part. I don't know how your trailer are set up, but if you have a way to turn around with a trailer behind the tractor I like that idea. The little truck bed trailer I hooked @Maud up was a nice setup to pull around and with the bumper on the back it's tough for in the woods and you could hook a splitter to it to split it as you cut it. If time is short them maybe carrying it out and loading it on a trailer to be processed later would be an option, but it does take a bit more time to me. I try to avoid skidding wood as much as possible because the wood gets dirty and you will be sharpening a lot more.

Yeah, the climbing helmets are even another category. Mine is MSA, and I didn’t ’need’ one, but got the opportunity to try it. Really like how it fits and holds, especially with the ear muffs down. Forget that I have it on.

Great for maneuvering through brush, etc., even on the ground. Does not offer the sun or rain protection of a brimmed helmet.

Good to have choices.

Philbert
I didn't really think about the rain protection as I don't wear my climbing helmet when it rains because I don't climb when it rains. Fair weather climber, actually I prefer it be nearly perfect, and that's if I climb lol. What I like about the climbing helmets most is as you said, you can get around easy with it on and it's almost as if it's not there. I don't like a brimmed helmet, I'm always hitting my head on things when I wear them for work. My favorite thing is when wearing one on a job and I hit my head on something and some says, "good thing you're wearing a helmet" :nofunny:, if I wasn't wearing it I wouldn't have hit my head:buttkick:. I spent about 15yrs wearing them and that never changed, may explain a few things :laugh:.
My climbing helmet has no ears and no chin strap and it stays put, obviously a branch or chunk hitting it could always change that :surprised3:.
The standard falling helmets I have stay put very well too, I have one with a shield and one without, both with ears.
It would be great to get one of the new climbing helmets with the visor/shield built in :cool:.
I have this old helmet I could put the visor on.

Guys... dudes... homies and sisters... we finally got a tractor!! So I’ve been kinda wishing and dreaming for a couple years now for a tractor. I’m literally a little kid now. TRACTORS ARE SO FUN TO DRIVE. Oh yeah it’s my first tractor. Ok so we contemplated buying new + interest (disgusting) or buying used. For our first tractor we couldn’t justify 50k pre-interest or 68k after 15 years so we decided to go used. Holy is it ever fun. I always dreamed of sitting in orange or green. The day has come. 2007 Kubota B7800 with loader/bucket and snowblower. I know you Americans don’t use snowblowers much but they’re the thing to have here. I for once want some more snow. The boys wanted to come in after being outside two hours so I stayed for another hour and played around with this thing. Okok I’ll stop rambling since most of you guys already have a tractor. Anyway, here’s a few pictures. The two areas beside the garage were never properly cleaned. A few minutes later and it’s now clean and prettier on both sides! The goal for this tractor this summer is to find the best way for us to make it useful on our wood lot! Yeeeeeeeya!
Figure out how to add a nice lite bar I got one from tractor supply 75 bucks and pretty nice

Tomorrow I’ll be in the small town nearest the mountains, there’s a hardware store that’s both Stihl and Echo dealers

Turns out they’re Stihl and Husqvarna dealers, not Echo. They have no Stihl top handle saws, they’ve been back ordered since July. He says it’s because Covid has reduced the workforce. When I told him what I will use it for he suggested the Stihl 250 or 170, both are more saw than I want to carry. We put the 170 with 16” bar on his scale, it weighed 10.1 lbs. it’s a homeowners rear handle saw.

if u get the E CS-271 - pretty sure you will like it! i :heart: mine! actually, like all my Echo stuff. :yes: if ur deal is for both would be interested in ur thots on the 2511, too... no doubt cute n sassy! my 271 is anything but a toy saw! :chainsaw:

Good to hear. We’re not getting a 2511, we’re getting two CS-271. 2511 seems too small.

Latest posts

Back