Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard freeze dried stores the longest :cold::lol:.
Sorry your wife isn't doing well, hope she gets better soon.
Thanks! Yea me too. Went from walking jogging 3 miles a day to being home bound. Got Dr appts almost everyday for testing and stuff. Saying pots syndrome but could be a million things they say. Rapid heart rates and neurological issues with crazy tremors and shortness of breath. She's only 31 and was in perfect health mo smoking drinking or fast food.

Finding primers powder and bullets are hard to come by too. I'm on like 10 waiting/call lists in my area for supplies. I'm vacuum sealing everything nowadays.
Vacuum sealing sounds like a good idea! Thanks. I've got enough it would be a shame to lose, and almost not replaceable thee days. If you were closer I'd ask what you really need, could probably help out.
Hope things sort out for the wife. Sounds challenging.

Regarding tree stands on public land. We hunt public land primarily. I Always say public land is great as long as you hunt more than 1/4 mile from a road. My primary area was logged 4 years ago and they then sprayed the regen so they could plan pine. The pine seedlings are now 2 years old and about 18” tall. So we’ve got maybe 2-3 more years of “field” hunting before it turns into a great refuge for the deer.

I have a stand up on the hill in a pinch of timber that can see both the back side of the hill as well as down to the road. Had two jackwagons roll up in a side by side on Saturday afternoon and start glassing the hillside with their rifle which was pointed right towards me. I’m waving my blaze orange and they aren’t seeing me about 150 yards away. Finally I let out a couple of loud “wheeooo-wheet!!” whistles and they got the picture and got in their wheeler and drove away. Pissed me off too cause they were driving the wheeler after 2 pm ( you can only drive wheelers in the woods from 11-2 during deer season).
My Brother bow hunts on a little patch of private land but would like to hunt in the near-by state property. In IL, you're allowed to leave a stand up "overnight". He's scouted various areas for sign and when he finds a good area, he looks up to see a deer stand strapped to a tree. The problem is, the rules don't make a distinction between "overnight" and "all year". They leave there stands up all year and then claim the spot as theirs. My Brother, not wanting a confrontation, doesn't hunt there.
I contacted the local CP and he said, that if they were up out of season, they were considered abandoned and thus property of the state to auction off. On the one I pointed out to him, he pulled the ladder and let the stand. A year later, I went back and got the stand.

Vacuum sealing sounds like a good idea! Thanks. I've got enough it would be a shame to lose, and almost not replaceable thee days. If you were closer I'd ask what you really need, could probably help out.
Hope things sort out for the wife. Sounds challenging.
Thanks Sundance. I appreciate it. This forum has helped keep my mind off of things. I can't work or do much right now and I'm a family 1st kinda guy like I imagine all you guys are aswell. Appreciate all the guys on here. Thanks fellas!

Federal is still running pretty hard and hiring. I deal with a bunch of Vista people and my co workers wife is in HR there. They have put some folks on leave because of shortages but also some folks haven't wanted to shift jobs to other parts of production and have taken voluntary.

Still sounds like it will get worse before it gets better.

Welcome to the site, Shub Oak is my old back yard! Grew up in New Gull Manor (across from the maul), I've taken ducks, grouse and deer from where the mall is now.

Went to Lakeland HS.

My folks, Gand Parents, some Aunts and Uncles and Cousins are all permanently located behind the Methodist Church on old Rte 6.

There used to be a slot car place we used to go to a few doors down from the fire house.

It is getting all built up now. This is what I remember, we played in this before it was Buy Rite Barn, the car dealer is there now. Across from Kohls (used to be Caldor, and before that we used to catch frogs there). If you want some history of that area, I have it on my computer.

Our neighborhood was built on what used to be a 300+ acre farm owned by the Arch Diocese. When the caretaker died, they first sold the land for the school (that elementary school was the original Lakeland HS).

Our hang out was Lou's Corner Store (about the only thing left with the same name). We used to drag race on the Bear Mtn Extension at 11 pm when the cops changed shifts.
What a small world. My kids will be going to Lakeland HS next year. There was a house on Main Street that during Halloween they use to put ghost on the front holding hands and a friend of mine purchased the house and restored it and he still continues to put the ghosts in front every Halloween. One of the local residents showed me a book on shrub oak it’s amazing

Federal is still running pretty hard and hiring. I deal with a bunch of Vista people and my co workers wife is in HR there. They have put some folks on leave because of shortages but also some folks haven't wanted to shift jobs to other parts of production and have taken voluntary.

Still sounds like it will get worse before it gets better.
Well that adds some clarity to the discussion!

I found my reloading press and powder dropper (is that the right term for the thing that you meter powder onto the scale?). Need to scrounge up the rest of the pieces to complete my reloading kit.

I have a bunch of powder and primers from several years ago that have been stored in an unheated garage. They should be ok. Guess I will use for target practice first.

Thanks! Yea me too. Went from walking jogging 3 miles a day to being home bound. Got Dr appts almost everyday for testing and stuff. Saying pots syndrome but could be a million things they say. Rapid heart rates and neurological issues with crazy tremors and shortness of breath. She's only 31 and was in perfect health mo smoking drinking or fast food.
Sorry to hear. Hope things come around for you guys.

I found my reloading press and powder dropper (is that the right term for the thing that you meter powder onto the scale?). Need to scrounge up the rest of the pieces to complete my reloading kit.

I have a bunch of powder and primers from several years ago that have been stored in an unheated garage. They should be ok. Guess I will use for target practice first.
I'm sure it is somewhere in the middle. I'd rather be self sufficient like you will be anyways rather than relying on federal.

I haven't had any issues with powders. I have kept fireworks for decades in the rafters of polebarn in michigan along with some other things and haven't had any issues. I think as long as it's factory sealed you should be good. But you are right svk that trying it out on targets would see how it's going to go. I have rcbs rock chucker loader a mec shotshell reloaded set up for 12ga. And an old lee one at a time reloader. If you guys ever see a Lee loader for cheap I would snag it up if it fits anything you shoot. They are hard to find these days. I use it for 38/357 and 44. Never loaded a bad round yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-145021_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-145021_Google.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 7

It's a powder measure.
Powder and primers should be fine. I'm using both that are 25+ years old stored in an unheated garage.

Geez, how much shooting are you guys doing? Box of deer rifle cartridges would last me a couple years. Plink a few before opening day to make sure it goes where yer lookin and 1-5 bullets for the deer. (I keep shooting if they're running away from the truck!) Lmao!

Had to turn down free wood again. A tree guy called me "bring your trailer and I'll load you up". I hate to turn it down but I have oodles and my yard is wet. I know, I'm going to get my scrounging card revoked!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Shooting is fun if you have a place to shoot. Usually most shooting is done with the ruger 10/22. I remember buying bricks or 22lr for under 10$. No worries October and November have been wet as hell here in michigan. Better to turn down wood than to have it rot away when someone else can burn it. I had a giant pile if wood starting to go bad from when I cleared for a food plot. We moved most of it and got it covered. Most of the popple isn't gonna burn the greatest I just feel bad letting wood go to waste

Attachments

• 20210509_150332.jpg
    20210509_150332.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back