Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of people don't realize that "30 US" is 30-40 Krag, and it was our first Army smokeless powder cartridge, replacing the 45-70.

In military form, it fires a 220 grain round nose bullet at 2,000 FPS from a 30" barrel. It was replaced by the 30-03 in 1903 (which fired the same 220 grain bullet) and the 30-06 in 1906 which finally shot a lighter spitzer bullet to compete with the Mauser bullets.

I think my phone is broke - I keep clicking the firewood thread and end up in the firearms thread. No matter, I'll just post here and let the moderators figure it out. I will try to use words that you guys can understand though.

I went firewood hunting with my weapon of choice today. I used the 290 caliber and kept pulling the trigger until I had gone through 40-50 rounds. I then field dressed my bounty with my trusty sharpened tool. I dragged it all out with my one wheel cart. When I was done I put it away in cold storage for later use. I can hardly wait to fire up the stove and smell the aroma when it's cooking!
20211218_152717.jpg20211218_154751.jpg20211218_155601.jpg20211218_160722.jpg20211218_162559.jpg20211218_161628.jpg20211218_153858.jpg20211218_165700.jpg20211218_170034.jpg

I think my phone is broke - I keep clicking the firewood thread and end up in the firearms thread. No matter, I'll just post here and let the moderators figure it out. I will try to use words that you guys can understand though.

I went firewood hunting with my weapon of choice today. I used the 290 caliber and kept pulling the trigger until I had gone through 40-50 rounds. I then field dressed my bounty with my trusty sharpened tool. I dragged it all out with my one wheel cart. When I was done I put it away in cold storage for later use. I can hardly wait to fire up the stove and smell the aroma when it's cooking!
View attachment 949374View attachment 949372View attachment 949371View attachment 949370View attachment 949368View attachment 949369View attachment 949373View attachment 949367View attachment 949366
:laugh: At least it will be smoked when you cook it.

Need to post that stuff here:

https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/guns-and-ammo.137/
Less gun stuff there to clog up the thread, since they all seem to be here.

Philbert

Been scrounging for the last several months. Most has come from clearing the property line to build a fence for live stock eventually. Added it to last years leftover scrounge that I haven't cut up for firewood yet. Some of it came from just cleaning up around the property. I put the wife on the tractor/grapple and she put some green on my dry pile which sucks but at least it’s out of the woods. I’ve got everything from old dry white oak logs that have been down for years to Ash, black oak, hickory, & locust as well as several cedars which I’ll prolly use for fence posts. Persimmon & cherry that I’m gonna dry to use for BBQ/smoking. Now that my lines are clear I’ve got a lot of fence building to do before I get to start bucking & splitting. A lot of these trees were pretty small but I can’t make myself push it up into the burn pile do I take the time to limb it out and carry it to the pile. I kept most of everything down to about 2”. Why not? It will burn.

Attachments

• 5AC3A475-2E2E-440C-8DC8-1A3FB3AC738D.jpeg
    5AC3A475-2E2E-440C-8DC8-1A3FB3AC738D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 8EC66B59-093A-4230-9904-A85203E006E7.jpeg
    8EC66B59-093A-4230-9904-A85203E006E7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

View attachment 949374View attachment 949372View attachment 949371View attachment 949370View attachment 949368View attachment 949369View attachment 949373View attachment 949367View attachment 949366
Looking chilly there, it looks nice.

How has autumn been for everyone? Other than about one week it's been mild here, a bit damp but very mild. I reckon I've burnt about 25% less than normal so far.

Looking chilly there, it looks nice.
Right around freezing here with some freezing rain last night and earlier today. Light coating of ice on everything so we decided it was a good day to stay home - looks nice, but not so nice for driving. Should be gone on Monday as it's supposed to be slightly above freezing.

Been burning mostly pine so far including today. Have tossed a few misshapen oak chunks in overnight when it's colder. Did start burning a little later than the past couple of years.

Persimmon for smoking? Interesting. I keep small stuff too. Good kindling and fire starter wood.
Yeah. I’m gonna try it. I looked it up and read somewhere that it’s good. IDK but it’s gonna be awhile before I have any that’s dry enough to try. I don’t like cutting them down because it’s a good source of food for wildlife but they were in the way of my fence building efforts. Either way, I’ll use it for smoking or use it in the sop for heat…if it makes any heat….

Hey, don't knock the hunting!

When I go out with my chainsaw, I ALWAYS get my tree! With hunting, it's not quite that easy!

Besides, the variety of subjects and the beautiful pics that are posted (from around the world) are what makes this thread great!

My only regret it that the founder of this thread is not still posting, and he was my age. I miss his posts!

So, enjoy the ride from this diverse thread, and may it make your life richer!

Yeah. I’m gonna try it. I looked it up and read somewhere that it’s good. IDK but it’s gonna be awhile before I have any that’s dry enough to try. I don’t like cutting them down because it’s a good source of food for wildlife but they were in the way of my fence building efforts. Either way, I’ll use it for smoking or use it in the sop for heat…if it makes any heat….
Beautiful lumber if you find any large enough to mill.

Hey, don't knock the hunting!

When I go out with my chainsaw, I ALWAYS get my tree! With hunting, it's not quite that easy!

Besides, the variety of subjects and the beautiful pics that are posted (from around the world) are what makes this thread great!

My only regret it that the founder of this thread is not still posting, and he was my age. I miss his posts!

So, enjoy the ride from this diverse thread, and may it make your life richer!
I see Clint has been on lately which is good to see even if he’s not been posting.

Finally got the wood in the house today. Here's some pics of how we get the wood in the house. Borrowed my friends mulch bucket which helped cut the number of trips.
We had a wood door installed when we built the house. One treadmill to bring the wood under the deck, down a chute to another treadmill. Then down a plywood ramp to the bump out.
20211218_114051.jpg
20211218_114103.jpg
20211218_121325.jpg
20211218_150042.jpg
Then we take the lower treadmill down and fill up the box and stack two rows that are 7' × 7'.
20211218_153615.jpg
This should hold us well into March unless winter gets a whole lot colder.

Yes the fan or fans do make a huge difference.
Canadian Tomatoe... really...., thats most like a sticker put on top of the other countries sticker. 😁 Oh the tricks we learn from our southern neighbours!
Just kidding yes its from here. Short seasons but we make the best of em and the best ketchup period.
Canadian ketchup lol, I need to try some.
Trying to convince my wife to take a trip to Canada but no luck so far. I’ll have to do some research and tell her I want to see their green houses or something

Latest posts

Back