Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early Christmas present today. A farmer friend called me this morning and asked if I wanted some firewood (silly question & he knows it) said he had a tree down from the recent high winds. I got out to his farm and he told me where to find the wood. Drove out across 3 fields to the edge of his timber and discovered an enormous red oak laying in his fence line. Him & his son had already cut everything that was under 28" and had it piled up so I could just pull up beside it and load. Got three loads and there's still about a pickup load laying there. His farm is only about 9 miles from my place. Merry Christmas!! 😃
Score!!!!!

Well, we are back into the low 30s and windy today, so it does not feel warm, but the last few days were warm.

We have not had anything more than snowflakes yet, but I think there is snow up at my property.
If you’re into science and weather, La Niña is effecting weather patterns this winter. Super mild here in PA except for today we finally got down below freezing.
6AE35E4F-AEDD-452F-9FAA-29DC2060E6FE.png

Except for the outlier Friday our weather has been looks to continue to be pretty average. Snow can stay away cause I still haven’t fixed my plow truck.
View attachment 949684
Friday looks nice, as long as it doesn't rain :laugh:.
Hope you get to feeling better soon and can get on that truck. I know it was tough for me to get back after it, so glad the roof is on the barn and that big tree job is off my plate. Now I need to catch back up on things around the house and the cars. I need to do the brakes on the Honda odyssey tomorrow as it's supposed to warm up a bit, just hit 270k with it tonight. Looks like the slides are froze or I have a bad caliper on it, of course I have brand new pads and rotors for the front sitting here lol.

The boy & I took advantage of the crisp weather & split up a bunch of my wood scrounge from a month ago. We had to quit when he broke the handle off his axe head... Guess it's time to get him a big boy's axe.
My dad got tired of us boys breaking them so he welded a 1-1/4 pipe handle in an 8 pounder. Man alive it shook your whole body.
it was the last handle he had to buy tho!!

Yeah. He's starting to get the hang of it. Learning to 'read' the wood & strike at the checking. He was both sad that he broke his axe & a bit pumped that he swung hard enough to lose the axe head.
Replace it with a Fiskars X-27, you won't break it and it will split wood a heck of a lot better.

Just always make sure he controls it, good HD paints and boots, and keep the feet wide apart and control the swing in the middle.

I don't let anyone split with shorts or sneakers!

I started the other day cutting my normal 16-18" guesstimate, but switched targeting more like 20" since it splits pretty easy. I just went to measure a few out of curiosity and they range from 15-21".

The stack is roughly 150 ft^3 so it is a bit over a cord.

??? That would measure out to 5.25 cord using 18" as the average length of a piece.

??? That would measure out to 5.25 cord using 18" as the average length of a piece.
Sorry, I didn't give the stack dimensions - 3' wide (double stacked) x 6' tall x 8' long (if I squared the ends where it tails off) = 144 cubic feet (ft^3) + a small pile of unsplittables.

There may be 5.25 cord all told in the 5 dump trailer loads that were delivered.

I'm pretty new to the scrounging thread. We have 4 acres that has a lot of firewood up for grabs. My wife and I worked on about 20' of this 24" oak yesterday. This is one of probably a dozen large trees that are already on the ground. We did have to skid it up a hill out of the woods with a f-250 so it does feel like we're scrounging. In reality, making firewood for the next 10 years should be no problem.

Attachments

• big oak bucking.jpg
    big oak bucking.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
No good deed goes unpunished.

I’m sure you guys remember the people that I plow for who are kind of always down on their luck…This winter she had a little extra cash and insisted that I take it even though I told her I would plow her for free. Once the next snow came she was immediately wanting me to plow and I told her that I would plow on my on schedule because they are a long ways away and I have a lot of things going on. I ended up having one of my friends do her mothers driveway for her and I had to barter with him to take care of it because my plow was broken. Late Saturday night I get a message from her ex-boyfriend telling me that I had better plow in a timely manner or provide them with a refund so they can find someone who can. I said I would be happy to provide a refund because I didn’t want to charge in the first place and she insisted that I take the money. Check in the mail today. Good luck to them!

It is my pleasure to plow my friends for free. I’ve “been there” without the proper equipment and feel that I should help my friends when they need it. I guess I’ll dole out my goodwill elsewhere.

No good deed does unpunished.

I’m sure you guys remember the people that I plow for who are kind of always down on their luck…This winter she had a little extra cash and insisted that I take it even though I told her I would plow her for free. Once the next snow came she was immediately wanting me to plow and I told her that I would plow on my on schedule because they are a long ways away and I have a lot of things going on. I ended up having one of my friends do her mothers driveway for her and I had to barter with him to take care of it because my plow was broken. Late Saturday night I get a message from her ex-boyfriend telling me that I had better plow in a timely manner or provide them with a refund so they can find someone who can. I said I would be happy to provide a refund because I didn’t want to charge in the first place and she insisted that I take the money. Check in the mail today. Good luck to them!

It is my pleasure to plow my friends for free. I’ve “been there” without the proper equipment and feel that I should help my friends when they need it. I guess I’ll dole out my goodwill elsewhere.
Just can’t win sometimes. I’ve practically given saws to people before who were”down on their luck “ only to have them assume it came with free lifetime repairs or replacement no matter how badly they abused the saw. Bent bars , chains that clearly had been used to excavate trenches in the dirt, cracked housings and used black motor oil in the bar oil tank etc.
I just let it roll off like water on a ducks back and when they try to buy another one down the road I just happen to not have any!
More good than bad tho. I love having folks call me back who had never ran a 10-10 or something like that and hear how impressed they are with magnesium power!!!
Go dinosaurs!!!!!

I'm pretty new to the scrounging thread. We have 4 acres that has a lot of firewood up for grabs. My wife and I worked on about 20' of this 24" oak yesterday. This is one of probably a dozen large trees that are already on the ground. We did have to skid it up a hill out of the woods with a f-250 so it does feel like we're scrounging. In reality, making firewood for the next 10 years should be no problem.
Nice work.
I like how you color coordinate your hat and saw :).
Where are you located at, looks like a great place.

Back