Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Scrounging" behind my place. I have plenty of Red Oak, and sadly too much is dying. But, fortunately, my strategic supply of firewood is a dozen or so identified standing dead Reds to process every year. This is a perfect size for me, and was generally leaning into a safe zone. I notched and wedged it just a hair north of lean to miss a nice live tree out there about 50'.

This was great cutting weather, middle 20's and sunny. Here is 2 minutes of finishing the notch in the face, then back cut, wedge, and slow motion fall:

Sectioning into 12 footers for drag to processing is in video processing now.

I'm on the NE side of Indianapolis in Noblesville, IN.
Nice area.
I used to drive thru there quite a bit in the mid 90's, it's probably changed a bit since then lol. I was down there once last fall to buy a trailer
Off to work on the brakes on the Honda, the sun is shinning so...

Replace it with a Fiskars X-27, you won't break it and it will split wood a heck of a lot better.

Just always make sure he controls it, good HD paints and boots, and keep the feet wide apart and control the swing in the middle.

I don't let anyone split with shorts or sneakers!
Took me forever to convince my boy to split like that. He kept wanting round house from over his right shoulder. He’s got it now tho and the fella at the “ ring the bell” game at the carnival cringes when he sees him coming now a days!!!!

My dad got tired of us boys breaking them so he welded a 1-1/4 pipe handle in an 8 pounder. Man alive it shook your whole body.
it was the last handle he had to buy tho!!
For many years my splitting maul featured a pipe handle that I welded on after replacing too many wood handles. When I bought a hydraulic splitter (6--8 yrs ago?) I happily gave away that steel-handled maul. Got a nice Fiskars now for the odd times I feel like swinging it.

"Scrounging" behind my place. I have plenty of Red Oak, and sadly too much is dying. But, fortunately, my strategic supply of firewood is a dozen or so identified standing dead Reds to process every year. This is a perfect size for me, and was generally leaning into a safe zone. I notched and wedged it just a hair north of lean to miss a nice live tree out there about 50'.

This was great cutting weather, middle 20's and sunny. Here is 2 minutes of finishing the notch in the face, then back cut, wedge, and slow motion fall:

Sectioning into 12 footers for drag to processing is in video processing now.

Nice work mate!
For many years my splitting maul featured a pipe handle that I welded on after replacing too many wood handles. When I bought a hydraulic splitter (6--8 yrs ago?) I happily gave away that steel-handled maul. Got a nice Fiskars now for the odd times I feel like swinging it.
i still have mine and might drag it out for mongo. Man that boy is strong!
His “ big “ sister use to Grab him by the neck and threw him to the floor. About a year ago I warned her she should probably stop that anytime now! She just had to try it again the other day and I swear he didn't move a 1/16 of an inch! Just stood there like a 30 “ oak & tree grinned at her!
She says and I quote “ I think I’ll go have tea with mom now!!!!”

Replace it with a Fiskars X-27, you won't break it and it will split wood a heck of a lot better.

Just always make sure he controls it, good HD paints and boots, and keep the feet wide apart and control the swing in the middle.

I don't let anyone split with shorts or sneakers!
I'll take the Fiskars into consideration. For sure no shorts. But his feet are growing so fast these days that getting a good pair of boots is an exercise in throwing money away. I know... A decent pair of steel toes is over $200 but what does a lifetime without a foot cost...

Sorry, I didn't give the stack dimensions - 3' wide (double stacked) x 6' tall x 8' long (if I squared the ends where it tails off) = 144 cubic feet (ft^3) + a small pile of unsplittables.

There may be 5.25 cord all told in the 5 dump trailer loads that were delivered.

I knew I had misunderstood. I took your description of the long rick as the one you were saying 1 cord plus.

Well, you are single now...
I wish. She’s a train wreck so I wouldn’t even consider that.

Pretty gal who is attempting to clean up her life but on top of having some sort of partial disability from an injury continually goes back to her drug dealing ex husband. I’m sadly going to assume the times they are back together coincides when she decides to use. Wasn’t surprised that they wanted money back late at night on a Saturday night. There’s more but I’ll refrain from posting that here.

But I’d have to say I’m pretty much done with helping people who are using any sort of substance.

Just can’t win sometimes. I’ve practically given saws to people before who were”down on their luck “ only to have them assume it came with free lifetime repairs or replacement no matter how badly they abused the saw. Bent bars , chains that clearly had been used to excavate trenches in the dirt, cracked housings and used black motor oil in the bar oil tank etc.
I just let it roll off like water on a ducks back and when they try to buy another one down the road I just happen to not have any!
More good than bad tho. I love having folks call me back who had never ran a 10-10 or something like that and hear how impressed they are with magnesium power!!!
Go dinosaurs!!!!!

When I retired from the AF in 1965 and went to buy a new saw, I was shocked to find that the 'gear drives' weren't common any more. Those were all I had experience with before I went in the service.

When I retired from the AF in 1965 and went to buy a new saw, I was shocked to find that the 'gear drives' weren't common any more. Those were all I had experience with before I went in the service.
Thank you for your service sir!!! Did my best to get in the Air Force but I had a couple physical things going on and they wouldn’t take me.
Have a few gear drives waiting back on the shelf. Can’t wait to run one!

Well I scrounged some wood tonight and got my bath at the same time. Had a white oak that fell down hill and was hollow. It had apparently been gathering water with every rain.
I cut the stump off then marked about 10 rounds to make a log I could skid out. While cutting that cut all the way through I suddenly had a rush of nasty water flying off the bottom of the chain soaking my bibs!
Was still good to get in the woods tho!

Not a “scrounge”. It’s in a recreation area, off limits to fuelwood permit holders. Plus the season is over. This slid down the hill while we were in doing hiking trail maintenance, we wouldn’t have gotten out without a chainsaw. Expecting smaller cuts on the trail, we only had 12” and 18” saws. A helper rolled one section of log over the side and into the river, doh! I told him I don’t do that. It’ll end up in the Reservoir and maybe get hit by a boat. plus scrounging is allowed if camping there, and it’ll probably get burned in a campfire. Closer to the pavement, someone had drug some oak of similar size down the road and back to their camp. We considered dragging this stump down the road to the next wide spot, but already had our share of work for the day. At some point the Forest Service will come in with equipment and move it.

F946E8E3-16C0-4603-9C53-62B135A38BDE.jpeg
7A3D16A9-9FF2-41D5-B999-B8451F5F6654.jpeg

The boy & I took advantage of the crisp weather & split up a bunch of my wood scrounge from a month ago. We had to quit when he broke the handle off his axe head... Guess it's time to get him a big boy's axe.
When I first met my late mate, he was trying to impress, and came over and split some monster maple (he'd borrowed the bucket truck from work, and taken it down - then mashed his finger moving it, since he didn't have the usual equipment, so he had to redeem his "I'm a tree professional" reputation. ;) ).

So he proceeded to break three maul handles in rapid succession. :D

Maybe your kid is practicing courting techniques for later. :D

When I first met my late mate, he was trying to impress, and came over and split some monster maple (he'd borrowed the bucket truck from work, and taken it down - then mashed his finger moving it, since he didn't have the usual equipment, so he had to redeem his "I'm a tree professional" reputation. ;) ).

So he proceeded to break three maul handles in rapid succession. :D

Maybe your kid is practicing courting techniques for later. :D
Lol. May be!
May need to get on a -you break it you buy it -basis with him!

Hope everyone is enjoying the solstice ….. good news is from here on in the days get shorter.
Here in Sydney the longest day of the year is 4hr 20mins longer than the shortest day of the year.
None the less every part of the world gets the same number of daylight hours per year (4380hrs).

Back