Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@farmer steve , i think I found your Honey Hole. My Ash stand is about played out, so I went back to a few Oaks that went down several years ago. I forgot how steep the hill was so I dropped the trailer on the flat, and drug the logs up and bucked and loaded them. My BIL law was going to feed the horses and bring the JD 5410 down to skid the logs out, but I guess he had farm work to attend to. He got there just as I was rolling the last 3 rounds on the back of the trailer. I had one small log i drug out with the F150 that had 2 blocks on each end that were solid, and the 8 blocks in between were almost dust from termites. He loaded them on the JD and dumped them on the burn pile. Got some splitting to do as soon as I finish here.
dIlnJJt.jpg

DYgMDZ9.jpg

After I cut down that nice straight standing dead Red (video earlier yesterday). I sectioned it into 12' lengths and with the help of my grandson, my Deere, and my home made Log Arch, we drug the sections to my preferred processing area:

I moved the GoPro a couple times for this video of our first pull. It gets repetitive after the first 30 seconds or so. Thanks for watching!

Morning guys.

My youngest daughter woke up in the night with a bad cough so unfortunately that dam bug has now hit all of us. Had to call off a couple of festivities for the week but luckily we are spending the holidays alone.
Hope she’s better soon!

After I cut down that nice straight standing dead Red (video earlier yesterday). I sectioned it into 12' lengths and with the help of my grandson, my Deere, and my home made Log Arch, we drug the sections to my preferred processing area:

I moved the GoPro a couple times for this video of our first pull. It gets repetitive after the first 30 seconds or so. Thanks for watching!

I need a log arch. The bigger of the ones I pulled up the hill with my F150 4X4 was 20" at the small end and my 25" bar would not quite go through the log at the big end, so I used 25" for the calculator. I measured 10, 18" blocks. 180" Divided by 12" is 15'. Log weight calculator says 1692 pounds. Didn't ask what kind of tree. Was Red Oak, been down at least 5 years. No bark left. What limbs were left were dry as a bone. Got down to 10 inches or so and water was dripping out. It was 28 degrees when I got started this morning, and the three blocks that were setting up on the back of the trailer, were froze to the deck.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I’m sure you guys remember the people that I plow for who are kind of always down on their luck…This winter she had a little extra cash and insisted that I take it even though I told her I would plow her for free. Once the next snow came she was immediately wanting me to plow and I told her that I would plow on my on schedule because they are a long ways away and I have a lot of things going on. I ended up having one of my friends do her mothers driveway for her and I had to barter with him to take care of it because my plow was broken. Late Saturday night I get a message from her ex-boyfriend telling me that I had better plow in a timely manner or provide them with a refund so they can find someone who can. I said I would be happy to provide a refund because I didn’t want to charge in the first place and she insisted that I take the money. Check in the mail today. Good luck to them!

It is my pleasure to plow my friends for free. I’ve “been there” without the proper equipment and feel that I should help my friends when they need it. I guess I’ll dole out my goodwill elsewhere.
Yes Sir. I used to plow for a couple neighbors ( mostly family), the local church parking lot an the occasional person who I heard may need a little help. Most folks around are pretty independent and at least have an old 4x4 to get past a big snow event. We don’t get a lot per say in east central MO. Anyway, I never took a dime except once the church gave me a $100 (under protest) at the end of the year once. I don’t have a plow service and only have it for my long driveway, and, for the reason you just highlighted. I never wanted to get that call the you need to come here and…….
I don’t blame you guys who do it for a living to not do freebies.

Yes Sir. I used to plow for a couple neighbors ( mostly family), the local church parking lot an the occasional person who I heard may need a little help. Most folks around are pretty independent and at least have an old 4x4 to get past a big snow event. We don’t get a lot per say in east central MO. Anyway, I never took a dime except once the church gave me a $100 (under protest) at the end of the year once. I don’t have a plow service and only have it for my long driveway, and, for the reason you just highlighted. I never wanted to get that call the you need to come here and…….
I don’t blame you guys who do it for a living to not do freebies.
Agreed. It’s kinda like me and my dump truck. Never knew I had so many friends til I bought it a few years ago!! I’m all for helping folks and do pretty regularly but there are precious few who get how expensive it is to keep a truck like that going. Tires alone are enough to break the bank.

Well after this evening I’m almost done Christmas shopping. Just need to lay things out to make sure the gifts are balanced.

It’s so nice just shopping for my kids and dad. Previously the ex insisted that we shop for every member of her extended family which got expensive in a hurry plus we hardly talk to most of those people.

Thinking that a little exercise would do me good, I let myself get talked into cutting some trees even though I’m retired. My neighbor who I’ve done numerous jobs for in the past called last week and pleaded with me—he said his son would help so that all I have to do is run saws, and Mike would do the lifting & hauling. Today will be day 3 and I’m finding that even 2.5 hrs/day of just felling & cutting is reminding me why I called it quits back in August. Got 3 more trees in the area we’ve been working, and that’s all I’m doing. There’s a big pine way back in the woods that I told Paul it’s too far back there, too much labor to get it out—just leave it for a wildlife tree. His son Mike said yesterday, Dad really wants that big tree cut. And Paul left me a phone message yesterday afternoon saying so.

Nope. Ain’t doing it. Three more trees down by the road, and I’m done.

Also got an email this morning from a former customer who wants some work done. I told her I’m retired and pointed her toward where to look for help. Then got her email this morning appreciating all the work I’ve done in the past, and saying it’s just brush that needs cutting (EWW!) and wouldn’t I go look it over and maybe do it for her.

I’M RETIRED. (Need to remind myself & others.)

How long do you season the wood you use in your OWB.
It depends... mostly I try to stay at least a year ahead. But I have oak that has been stacked for going on 3 years. Black locust I've had even longer (that's my Armageddon stash.) Dead standing/down ash can usually be burned right away. Some of the uglies get burned before their prime just to get rid of the stuff that doesn't stack well.

My OWB is not an *ahem* EPA model so it's very tolerant of wood that is not primo. But I'm not like some guys that drop a mountain of green rounds in a pile next to the OWB in the fall and burn through it all winter. I like more heat and less smoke from the wood I burn.

Latest posts

Back