Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends... mostly I try to stay at least a year ahead. But I have oak that has been stacked for going on 3 years. Black locust I've had even longer (that's my Armageddon stash.) Dead standing/down ash can usually be burned right away. Some of the uglies get burned before their prime just to get rid of the stuff that doesn't stack well.

My OWB is not an *ahem* EPA model so it's very tolerant of wood that is not primo. But I'm not like some guys that drop a mountain of green rounds in a pile next to the OWB in the fall and burn through it all winter. I like more heat and less smoke from the wood I burn.
I wander if my grandpa fisher is an epa model???? Lol sure cranks out the heat either way!

As soon as one retires you will be twice as busy as you were when working full time. Try owning a dump truck and a backhoe, all the friends you never knew you had will be making you a friend.
Lol. Retired means you have more time -according to your friends!!!!

I got a call from someone this morning , don`t know them from adam, they are located about 50 miles from me. They want an addition put on their place this coming summer, thought I may be interested in doing it since I retired but still have some machines and tools.

Denigrates….

I received the SECOND parking ticket for a vehicle I sold back in September. The guy I sold it to actually messaged me that he transferred the title (lie) and then resold it. Those people apparently decided to drive it in downtown Minneapolis and repeatedly park illegally.

Luckily I save everything and still had the corner of the title. I’m sitting at the license bureau right now and they are filing it as sold on 9/24/21 to the guy who bought it from me.

I have found that as I get older it is important to stay active regularly so as not to lose your abilities too fast.

A short exercise routine in the morning helps a lot.
That’s the truth! Once a senior stops being active they’ve got maybe 5 years left on average.

It depends... mostly I try to stay at least a year ahead. But I have oak that has been stacked for going on 3 years. Black locust I've had even longer (that's my Armageddon stash.) Dead standing/down ash can usually be burned right away. Some of the uglies get burned before their prime just to get rid of the stuff that doesn't stack well.

My OWB is not an *ahem* EPA model so it's very tolerant of wood that is not primo. But I'm not like some guys that drop a mountain of green rounds in a pile next to the OWB in the fall and burn through it all winter. I like more heat and less smoke from the wood I burn.

So do I and I must be doing something right. I am abouit 10 years ahead so my burning wood is about as dry as one can get them. I had a comment this summer from a guy "What are you doing with all that wood? I thought you musst heat with it but I have never seen any smoke from your chimney" Also non-EPA stove, - the first EPA version 'airtight'.

That’s the truth! Once a senior stops being active they’ve got maybe 5 years left on average.

And that is why I am still out there every few days swinging saws at 86. I cannot picture my self sitting and doing nothing. Cut in summer, split/pile in winter although the split/pile just now is not doing well, weather bound for over a week now. Temp, wind or snow just too miserable to work in.

Denigrates….

I received the SECOND parking ticket for a vehicle I sold back in September. The guy I sold it to actually messaged me that he transferred the title (lie) and then resold it. Those people apparently decided to drive it in downtown Minneapolis and repeatedly park illegally.

Luckily I save everything and still had the corner of the title. I’m sitting at the license bureau right now and they are filing it as sold on 9/24/21 to the guy who bought it from me.

Yep. Had the same happen here to me (washington). Got a mail notice of parking ticket fine, mailed back "look at the title. It says "Report of sale". It is the sellers responsibility to file that form and it used to be part of the title. Seems the state found another way to reach into our pockets. Not on title anymore so one has to go to the DOT office and PAY them to file it. I wasn't able to find a source for that form on line.

Single-digit humidity readings in August or September are taken in stride here in Colorado. RH of 8% or even 4% raises your eyebrow but nothing more at that time of year. (Although given a chance, such ultra-dry air accelerates fire in the worst way.) But I’ve never experienced such a thing in December.

This is day 4 of humidity reading 1%. Even at 46 degrees, it is still 1% RH at 6:30 p.m., roughly 2 hrs past sundown. It’s f-in bizarre. Plus the temp is 60 during the day, actually 59 today. But we’ve had insects flying around—some wild hatch of flies—in late December.

We need moisture in the worst way.

When I got the 2019 F-150, the dealer got the plates for it. I get an EZ Pass toll for my plates for a date before I picked up the truck.

Called EZ Pass, fought with them, sent them documentation, the description of the vehicle did not match my truck.

They removed the charge, then posted it back on the next month! I called and fought with them, but they would not remove it!

I ended up giving up on it, it just was not worth my time fighting it.

When I got the 2019 F-150, the dealer got the plates for it. I get an EZ Pass toll for my plates for a date before I picked up the truck.

Called EZ Pass, fought with them, sent them documentation, the description of the vehicle did not match my truck.

They removed the charge, then posted it back on the next month! I called and fought with them, but they would not remove it!

I ended up giving up on it, it just was not worth my time fighting it.
Yeah, usually best move on. At least for me it seems I get the lowest common denominator in those situations. All they want is to get on to the next call and will never think about it (you) again. The last thing you want is to be surprised with a bench warrant somewhere down the road.
Merry Christmas All

Oh, man! It's almost like Christmas!

My new best friend just called asking how many dump trailer loads of oak I would like to have dropped off. Oh, let's start with 3 and see how that looks. I can hardly wait until he gets here to see what I got! Looks like taking the 5 loads of cottonwood was worth it.

My new best friend just called asking how many dump trailer loads of oak I would like to have dropped off. Oh, let's start with 3 and see how that looks. I can hardly wait until he gets here to see what I got! Looks like taking the 5 loads of cottonwood was worth it.
Patience is a virtue!!

Why yes,yes it is. Got a call from one of my firewood wood customers and his neighbor lady just had 6 DEAD trees taken down. (Hoping ash) Said did he know anyone that might want it.
🖐

Latest posts

Back