Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just add a few ounces of Seafoam prior to your next oil change , safely reduces carbon deposits . Your right with today's synthetic oils & filters & proper change intervals carbon fouling is really a think of the past !
right! i like seafoam, never have used it to decarb the engine. no doubt about it... some of those late 40's and early 50's beaters... with high mileage... had carbon fouling down to a science!!! lol

'naw! if it sparks, just put it back in....'
1642353227585.png

Need to get a basic mountain bike with a trailer, so you can extend your scrounging range, and work those calves at the same time!

Philbert
thanks for the thot, Pb ~ i got 4 mtn bikes. i can hardly keep up with the scrounges that just keep falling down in the neighborhood. 6 miles works my calves and heart good enuff. well, so says my Doc each time they take my BP!! ;)

Ice / heat & rest . Knee braces help considerably . Have had both hips done . One knee bad , but waiting till they carry me off before I will get it done . Find a good orthopedic surgeon , that's the key for optimal results . Be patient wait times are usually a half yr or longer . Unless you fall in the emerg. room & do the floppy fish !
hi B ~ always wondered how you came up with your handle.... ;)

:givebeer:

Looks like since you can't get in trouble stealing 900$ or less people are taking advantage of the opportunity. Who needs a 5 finger discount when you can get a 5 cart discount
isn't that something!? just about as bad up in Seattle, too!

but i bet if someone stole $900 worth of gasoline... mite be a dif story!!! :yes:

Regarding cost of oil…I haven’t looked for but also haven’t seen ads for bar oil in over a year.

I do most of my own oil changes and buy the store brand oil from Walmart. The price of motor oil has gone up a lot in the past 24 months so I’m guessing the days of super cheap bar oil are all but over until a new regime comes in and does something to get oil prices stabilized.
caught up with a CBS Sunday Morn show i had recorded last nite. had a bit on today's current inflation. supply and demand. covid related. pandemic. Econ101. so says the bright brains in Economics out of Harvard, etc... Dept Directors, Profs... supply went down due to pandemic... but demand was high. so prices followed suit! add in the issues of distribution. ie, labor shortages. prediction is we will see a return to a more stable economic normalcy around late 2022/early 2023... show showed the %'s of costs increases... housing, food, meats, fish, etc. oil realted (gasoline) was highest at over 50% increase. other stuff single digit, some like 11%...

but me, personally.. i doubt it!!

caught up with a CBS Sunday Morn show i had recorded last nite. had a bit on today's current inflation. supply and demand. covid related. pandemic. Econ101. so says the bright brains in Economics out of Harvard, etc... Dept Directors, Profs... supply went down due to pandemic... but demand was high. so prices followed suit! add in the issues of distribution. ie, labor shortages. prediction is we will see a return to a more stable economic normalcy around late 2022/early 2023... show showed the %'s of costs increases... housing, food, meats, fish, etc. oil realted (gasoline) was highest at over 50% increase. other stuff single digit, some like 11%...

but me, personally.. i doubt it!!
Now I agree with that in theory but in reality things seem to be getting worse rather than better.

Prices have been raised due to increased demand. But demand at higher prices is still higher than normal.

Also, where are people getting this money???? Most of the government covid handouts are now over with yet everyone is out spending like they’ve won the damn lottery. And even the folks getting the handouts are not the ones who can afford to drive prices bonkers on things like late model vehicles, recreational toys, and guns.

For instance, let’s say someone makes $50,000 a year. Perhaps they’ve received a raise over the past two years and now make 55… they may have stockpiled a little bit of savings during the Covid shut down because they weren’t spending money on things like vacations and such but then the increase in consumer staples has gone up so significantly that it would gobble up any extra money that they’ve saved within a matter of a few months. Now let’s say they’ve collected $10-$15,000 in Covid money… If they went out and bought one used vehicle all of that money is gone. So again, where is all this extra money coming from that everyone seems to have!?

how much snow is falling in the East? weather channel just posted up a blip:

the I-95 could become trecherous today!

:omg:

headline is:

Izzy delivers snow to the I-95 cities n towns... up to a foot new snow in the Apps...

yikes!!

ps: this is not intended to be off-topic! :rolleyes: more so a winter advisory for those in the area thinking of cutting/splitting scrounged firewood today...

Now I agree with that in theory but in reality things seem to be getting worse rather than better.
Prices have been raised due to increased demand. But demand at higher prices is still higher than normal.
Also, where are people getting this money???? Most of the government covid handouts are now over with yet everyone is out spending like they’ve won the damn lottery. And even the folks getting the handouts are not the ones who can afford to drive prices bonkers on things like late model vehicles, recreational toys, and guns.
that is what we were wondering, too!

Regarding cost of oil…I haven’t looked for but also haven’t seen ads for bar oil in over a year.

I do most of my own oil changes and buy the store brand oil from Walmart. The price of motor oil has gone up a lot in the past 24 months so I’m guessing the days of super cheap bar oil are all but over until a new regime comes in and does something to get oil prices stabilized.
Haven't seen any sales on it either. On the kind I use from my dealer the price went up $2 gallon last time I looked. $12.95 a gallon now. I bought a case of 6 and got the quanity discount just before it went up. A tad over $9 a gallon. I think the days of $4.99/gallon farm store prices are gone.

For instance, let’s say someone makes $50,000 a year. Perhaps they’ve received a raise over the past two years and now make 55… they may have stockpiled a little bit of savings during the Covid shut down because they weren’t spending money on things like vacations and such but then the increase in consumer staples has gone up so significantly that it would gobble up any extra money that they’ve saved within a matter of a few months. Now let’s say they’ve collected $10-$15,000 in Covid money… If they went out and bought one used vehicle all of that money is gone. So again, where is all this extra money coming from that everyone seems to have!?
mite take more than that $10-15K :envy: surplus... the Inflation show mentioned Used Cars ... up 25%!

Bar oil is still 6.99-7.99 a gallon or so for generic and 13.99 for echo. And you stihl guys know how much your bar oil costs per gallon.

That's a nice even stack right there HR those cuts are all very uniform how are you marking for your cuts?

clean stack of wood, no doubt!
OK fellas, pay attention because I'm gonna give you a peek at the magic trick. Make sure you look quick because I might just take it down after you've seen it once. 20220116_120527.jpg

i have a Brooks on one of my bikes. and as such, having lived in UK... got on their mailing list. they often have biker stories of long distance traveling... all the camping stuff and saddle bags, too. some front n rear...

packed for the road's route...

View attachment 956796
I've got a Brooks Flyer on my touring bike... actually my second bike for that saddle!

The photos show a couple bikes I and one of my sons used. One shows the Brooks... and a pizza! "Cast Iron Cyclist," his handle, is a guy we ran into in Yellowstone. I thought he was nuts carrying that! The photos are from 1986, 2010, 2011 and 2013. My last long trip was 2017. I hope to do a long trip this year (1,500-2000 miles) but that is contingent on a lot of things in my life being in alignment! The day I woke up to snow in PA I rode about 108 miles... somewhere about 60-70 miles of it in the snow! There wasn't much accumulation but it was steady...

I've been kicking around ideas for how to carry a chainsaw, fuel, PPE and other gear with me on a bicycle for the "emergency" rail trail work. Maybe with a trailer... One of the bicycle rack companies was working on a chainsaw mount for their rear bicycle mounted rack but I don't know that it went to market. Getting the firewood out with a bicycle would be a huge job too so I haven't moved forward!

Attachments

• DSCF1464w.jpg
    DSCF1464w.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF1671w.jpg
    DSCF1671w.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ColonyHotelPalmBeach.jpg
    ColonyHotelPalmBeach.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PA_SnowEStroudsburg.jpg
    PA_SnowEStroudsburg.jpg