Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got dads diesel wheelbarrow started up. Row and a half left to refill his shed for next year. Sassafras blew down at my house for the camp fire

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_191720861.jpg
    PXL_20220319_191720861.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20220319_181453347.jpg
    PXL_20220319_181453347.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220319_233032825.jpg
    PXL_20220319_233032825.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
Found some red maple that had limbs coming off it that loggers left behind. Also found some other variety of maple (sugar or silver) that is very dense with a tight bark on it. They were split and went into the pile for 2023.
No round left behind, if you spot it you know what I mean.
9630d73ee6a8e3a886d1ab998149ba29.jpg

8523727e8608a3295fedde8939b4fcf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. I’m still alive. I see I missed 22 or so pages which is way too much reading to do. Had a busy week which included my sons birthday, taught a cooking class, watched two evenings of playoff basketball, and many other things. Oh and I’ve finally got a girlfriend and she’s a keeper (fingers crossed).

Picked up a new wood burning sauna stove too. I’m doing a little refurb on my sauna and am installing a wood stove next to the electric one. More photos to come on that project.

Birthday dinner (plus homemade apple pie)
View attachment 974703

New Kuuma stove
View attachment 974704
Welcome back sir!!

As for pine, if its dry it is not bad. As for popplar, I have a hybrid popplar I planted that grows about 6' per yr. for about 10 yrs. I planted cuttings for 10 cents each. Most are dead and I burn them, only cause they are 50 yds from my outdoor boiler. it burns clean , and a little better than rolled up cardboard. However, you can cut it down when the tree is live and is half rotten before it hits the ground. Snicker. As for burning your house down. I mentioned I have the boiler outside now. For good reason. I had an indoor fireplace . It was great , till it wasn't burned half the house down. Yep, 12;56 AM Dec. 25 , 2008. The house was 3 yrs. 11 months and 3 days old. A brand new 3 bedroom ranch was so smoked out we tore it down. It was not pine, or spruce. It was actually a short in the very cheap 20ga.? wire going to the worn out fans that likely over heated and cause the fire. In Wisconsin, OSB passes code for fire stop. It didnt stop anything though. We rebuilt and the new (now 13 yrs old ) outdoor wood boiler is 120 ft from the house, an EKO 25. This is what our house looked like on Christmas day . The house was payed off for 13 days. A firefighter I knew stopped by when it happened . When he saw the house, he was surprised and said when they are this bad, most people dont get out alive. We were all fine. The last pic is what the house looked like . The first pic is what it looked like after the fire. You might notice the firebox in the first pic is in the middle of the room. The 3rd pic is where my wife and I were sleeping. You can kind of see the bed in the pic.

Attachments

• 100_0939.JPG
    100_0939.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_0952.JPG
    100_0952.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 100_0968.JPG
    100_0968.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 100_0024.JPG
    100_0024.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Dont they make pants that are designed to stop a saw?

Chainsaw protective pants are more common in Europe, and by climbers, who don’t want straps to snag, or get tangled in branches. They tend to be lighter than a combination of pants and chaps.

Advantages of chaps include lower cost; easy to share with others; you can take them off during breaks, etc.

Lots of arborist supply vendors sell chainsaw protective pants. If you want a really lightweight, cool pair, that still provide high end protection, it will cost a bit more. The Clogger ‘Zeros’ would be worth a look.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/
Note that neither chaps or pants will provide any protection against the screw on your ‘Bark Buster’.

Philbert

That's ironic.
"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said there have been at least four serious injuries and one death to users of these log splitters. The injuries involved the loss of arms, legs or fingers. The CPSC originally learned of this unsafe product from a consumer complaint. "
Yet they still allow the sale of "vaccines" that have killed many more and injured way more.

Chainsaw protective pants are more common in Europe, and by climbers, who don’t want straps to snag, or get tangled in branches. They tend to be lighter than a combination of pants and chaps.

Advantages of chaps include lower cost; easy to share with others; you can take them off during breaks, etc.

Lots of arborist supply vendors sell chainsaw protective pants. If you want a really lightweight, cool pair, that still provide high end protection, it will cost a bit more. The Clogger ‘Zeros’ would be worth a look.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/
Note that neither chaps or pants will provide any protection against the screw on your ‘Bark Buster’.

Philbert
I like the chainsaw pants when I'm going to be cutting all day. I have two pairs, one insulated and one non-insulated, both Husqvarna brand.

I've not shared my chaps yet lol. They are nice to pull up to a site, put them on and cut for a short bit, then take them off.

I've not shared my chaps yet lol.
Some volunteer groups share equipment and PPE. Some non-arborist companies have a single chainsaw for occasional use, and one set of PPE. I also have an extra set of chaps, etc. , for helpers who don’t have them. Much harder to do these things with pants.

Philbert

The buds on the maple start swelling, you can taste "buddy" the syrup. Once the moths start showing up in the buckets, sap is yellow or ice on the pond is gone, the season is about done. Can still make "road tar", some folks like it very dark. . . All in the eyes of beholder.
Thanks! I'll watch for these things. Our weather hasn't been good for flow recently. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s and it doesn't look like it will drop below freezing in the next week.
Have you ran those before, great chain, very hard like the stihl chains. They cut just as fast as the stihl rs, and are much smoother. Getting them filed as they come out of the box is a bit of a trick though, but filing them as you normally would they still cut great.
Yeah, I have a few of them. They're really good chains. Smooth and fast out of the box and hold an edge well. I just file them like any other chain.
When I bought my 365 I bought a couple of the effect same chain. They cost a bit more then that, but much less then Stihl so I was happy.... Until ....a few months later my local dealer has an offer on TV the husqvarna equivalent at about 1/2 that price. 🤬🤬. I bought 3 more even though I only run the big saw a couple of times a year!
It's good to have extra chains. I find excuses to run the big saws when I can. I've heard good things about the 365. Husqvarna saws are not well represented locally. It's either Stihl or Echo.

I was at a marriage retreat for 2 days. Three pages of new posts to get through, whew.
Hey all. I’m still alive. I see I missed 22 or so pages which is way too much reading to do. Had a busy week which included my sons birthday, taught a cooking class, watched two evenings of playoff basketball, and many other things. Oh and I’ve finally got a girlfriend and she’s a keeper (fingers crossed).

Picked up a new wood burning sauna stove too. I’m doing a little refurb on my sauna and am installing a wood stove next to the electric one. More photos to come on that project.

Birthday dinner (plus homemade apple pie)
View attachment 974703

New Kuuma stove
View attachment 974704
Welcome back Steve. Figured there may be a new lady in your life due to your radio silence. Congrats!:cheers:
First post
Im 15, started selling firewood last summer, as my family owns a good chunk of property in the uinta mountains of utah that we run our cows on. Tons of beetle-kill lodgepole that makes great firewood. Its really bad how many dead trees are up there. I think im doing the little trees a favor by falling all the larger dead ones. We took our tractor and flatbed with sides on it, hauled it out in logs (we could get almost 5 chords at a time like this) took it home and i would go out and buck it whenever i got a chance. Sold almost 22 chords of wood and made enough to buy a set of tires for my truck and a new saw (Ms400c, really like it, was using grandpas ms460 before) planning on doing it again this summer. I really enjoy it and it sells way to well to not do it again.View attachment 974757ignore my brother stading inside that bark-buster. It wasnt running, i think. View attachment 974755View attachment 974754View attachment 974756
Welcome to the scrounging thread and AS. You'll learn many new and helpful things here. Congrats on the firewood business. My oldest son wants to sell firewood this summer. Hopefully he can make a couple bucks.

Chainsaw pants is all I use, I have 4 pair .
Some are better than others for comfort .
For the money I'm happy with these
https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/...s/2117104-74548/FUNCTION-Universal-Pants.aspxThese may fit a little nicer but the inner lining leaves you with a constant sweaty/clammy feeling
https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/acc...ing/functional-protective-pant-bnq/582053001/Yes , I have read 20 pages back.
I hope Cowboy Sr. makes a speedy recovery !
Hemlock is very rot resistant , good for ground contact .
I may buy another Montana van if it's as good as claimed lol

I got another 2 free loads of wood from my new found honey hole. This from a tree business in a decent sized city about an 1:15 south of me. He is happy to get rid of it and refused payment, but I felt so guilty I snuck 2 cases of beer in his shop while he was loading me. When he saw that it made his morning. There's more than one form of payment 😉

A pretty good variety of maple, oak, black locust, and ash. He snuck in another tulip as well (thanks to Brufab for helping ID)

20220313_132531.jpg20220313_132546.jpg20220313_140614.jpg

I got another 2 free loads of wood from my new found honey hole. This from a tree business in a decent sized city about an 1:15 south of me. He is happy to get rid of it and refused payment, but I felt so guilty I snuck 2 cases of beer in his shop while he was loading me. When he saw that it made his morning. There's more than one form of payment 😉

A pretty good variety of maple, oak, black locust, and ash. He snuck in another tulip as well (thanks to Brufab for helping ID)

View attachment 974918View attachment 974919View attachment 974920
That's alot of 🪵 wow!

Chainsaw pants is all I use, I have 4 pair .
Some are better than others for comfort .
For the money I'm happy with these
https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/...s/2117104-74548/FUNCTION-Universal-Pants.aspxThese may fit a little nicer but the inner lining leaves you with a constant sweaty/clammy feeling
https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/acc...ing/functional-protective-pant-bnq/582053001/Yes , I have read 20 pages back.
I hope Cowboy Sr. makes a speedy recovery !
Hemlock is very rot resistant , good for ground contact .
I may buy another Montana van if it's as good as claimed lol
I have the earlier version of the husky pants. What I don't like about them is they feel as though you are wearing cheap fitting snow pants, but they can be way more comfortable than jeans and chaps in the summer and they don't get snagged as bad as chaps.
Some volunteer groups share equipment and PPE. Some non-arborist companies have a single chainsaw for occasional use, and one set of PPE. I also have an extra set of chaps, etc. , for helpers who don’t have them. Much harder to do these things with pants.

Philbert
That makes sense, I hadn't thought about that, not that I want to wear someone else's sweaty garb though I do understand lol.
Did I tell you that a friend of ours if the guy who does all the FEMA organization for tree work here in michigan. I guess they mainly use one group of volunteers who are primarily retirees. I dropped a large poplar at his place that had blown over in a windstorm, it was quite the mess, can't imagine dealing with hundreds of the same type of trees :rare2:. Obviously you take them one at a time(when they aren't inter-tangled), but storm damage sure can be dangerous.

It sure is. 2 trips down there with my dump trailer and my friends 16 ft utility trailer has secured more than a season's worth of firewood for me. Being out in the woods is one of my favorite parts about cutting wood....But The time savings of this vs harvesting out of the woods is massive.
That does make it a bit easier, and normally safer than being in the woods.
Nice score.
What part of ohio, we had some light snow here late last night, but nothing on the ground this morning.

Back