Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's ironic.
"The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said there have been at least four serious injuries and one death to users of these log splitters. The injuries involved the loss of arms, legs or fingers. The CPSC originally learned of this unsafe product from a consumer complaint. "
Yet they still allow the sale of "vaccines" that have killed many more and injured way more.
Give it a rest Brett.

It only sat there for its first day in my ownership lol. 2-in-1 is the best thing since sliced bread. Noone around here wants anything besides lodgepole, and i dont burn wood, we have a pellet stove. Ironic.
The 2in1 doesn't work with skip. You probably know that,.... Unlike Wranglerstar. 🤣
Chainsaw pants is all I use, I have 4 pair .
Some are better than others for comfort .
For the money I'm happy with these
https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/...s/2117104-74548/FUNCTION-Universal-Pants.aspxThese may fit a little nicer but the inner lining leaves you with a constant sweaty/clammy feeling
https://www.husqvarna.com/ca-en/acc...ing/functional-protective-pant-bnq/582053001/Yes , I have read 20 pages back.
I hope Cowboy Sr. makes a speedy recovery !
Hemlock is very rot resistant , good for ground contact .
I may buy another Montana van if it's as good as claimed lol
The Stihl trousers you linked are class 1 rated (will stop a chain running at 20 m/s).: I think the husky ones are the same as mine, which are class of 2 rated, will stop as chain running at 24 m/s. I imagine a ms400 has a fairly high chain speed, even with a25" bar. I'd want class 2. You can get class 3 (28 m/s) but they cost a lot more and will find them warmer I guess.
Boots, wear decent protective boots. Use of safety glasses, they are cheap, to eyes aren't. I never used then to cut and relied upon the face shield on my helmet then I got educated by the gents here. Face shields protect faces, not eyes.

I'm very impressed by such and industrious young man as the king, very impressed!

The Stihl trousers you linked are class 1 rated (will stop a chain running at 20 m/s).: . . .
In the US, the rating is ‘pass or fail’. We don’t have the same class ratings that the EU (and maybe Canadian?) standards have. Some manufacturers will describe theirs as ‘6-layer’ or ‘9-layer’ but not by chain speed. And I don’t know if chain speed is as important as torque (e.g. a 40cc saw vs a 70cc saw running at the same ‘speed’).

The Clogger guys discuss some of the differences between chaps standards on their website, in one of their ‘white papers’.

Philbert

In the US, the rating is ‘pass or fail’. We don’t have the same class ratings that the EU (and maybe Canadian?) standards have. Some manufacturers will describe theirs as ‘6-layer’ or ‘9-layer’ but not by chain speed. And I don’t know if chain speed is as important as torque (e.g. a 40cc saw vs a 70cc saw running at the same ‘speed’).
I believe in other countries climbers are also required to wear them, but not here iirc.
Isn't that also a problem with the battery/ electric saws.

Isn't that also a problem with the battery/ electric saws.
No.

Chaps are not ‘rated’ for battery or electric chainsaws because the test requires a gasoline powered saw. But root around YouTube and look at all the ‘tests’ of battery chainsaws and chaps.

Rumors are funny: the guys who assume that battery powered saws won’t cut through warm butter are certain that they will tear through chaps designed to stop a 60cc saw!

No.

Chaps are not ‘rated’ for battery or electric chainsaws because the test requires a gasoline powered saw. But root around YouTube and look at all the ‘tests’ of battery chainsaws and chaps.

Rumors are funny: the guys who assume that battery powered saws won’t cut through warm butter are certain that they will tear through chaps designed to stop a 60cc saw!
I had no idea, I do know most battery/electric tools have gobs of torque, but at a lower rpm many times. I've never seen those videos, but yesterday I saw one where a guy was running a 60cc or larger(I'd guess) stihl and cut into his chaps and stalled it out. Then he took the chaps off or pulled them down, he had shorts on, only cut him a little :dumb: . All for science and stuff lol.
Well at least I didn't believe they wouldn't cut thru warm butter lol.
One day I'll own one, just not today, well most likely, but the night is young :). I almost bought one about a month ago, but it was one of the smaller rear handled stihls, I'd want one of the larger rear or top handles. I can see a few nice advantages of having one, but most those advantages aren't the best for me. If dewalt made a good one I might go for that since I already have their tools, but it's a big jump for me with the gas saws I already have.

Yeah i saw that. Just gotta be careful and make sure that bar aint bent.
The 2in1 doesn't work with skip. You probably know that,.... Unlike Wranglerstar. 🤣

The Stihl trousers you linked are class 1 rated (will stop a chain running at 20 m/s).: I think the husky ones are the same as mine, which are class of 2 rated, will stop as chain running at 24 m/s. I imagine a ms400 has a fairly high chain speed, even with a25" bar. I'd want class 2. You can get class 3 (28 m/s) but they cost a lot more and will find them warmer I guess.
Boots, wear decent protective boots. Use of safety glasses, they are cheap, to eyes aren't. I never used then to cut and relied upon the face shield on my helmet then I got educated by the gents here. Face shields protect faces, not eyes.

I'm very impressed by such and industrious young man as the king, very impressed!
Thanks man! And yeah the 2 in 1 isint the best for skip, just gotta watch you dont get the rakers to low with it.
im going to have to order some fallers pants. Ill see what i can afford in that department.
I dont know what the general air around barkboxes are around here, but i ordered one and a set of wcs 3 point dogs (mostly to run a roller-catcher) i did make a muffler cover for that 400 that copied the design of the barkbox, and i noticed that the saw pulled much harder in the cut. I think ill like it.

I had no idea, I do know most battery/electric tools have gobs of torque, but at a lower rpm many times. I've never seen those videos, but yesterday I saw one where a guy was running a 60cc or larger(I'd guess) stihl and cut into his chaps and stalled it out. Then he took the chaps off or pulled them down, he had shorts on, only cut him a little :dumb: . All for science and stuff lol.
Well at least I didn't believe they wouldn't cut thru warm butter lol.
One day I'll own one, just not today, well most likely, but the night is young :). I almost bought one about a month ago, but it was one of the smaller rear handled stihls, I'd want one of the larger rear or top handles. I can see a few nice advantages of having one, but most those advantages aren't the best for me. If dewalt made a good one I might go for that since I already have their tools, but it's a big jump for me with the gas saws I already have.
My grandpa bought one of the “big” dewalt ones with the 16” bar. I dont really think its any faster or lighter than our husky 445. Of course that saw is really fast for what it is.

You guys ever use them bark buster log splitters? Kinda scary when they are cranked up but they work good.
We had one and used it for years till the chain snapped. It worked pretty good as long as you didn’t put too short of a piece of wood in it.

My late neighbor was a dealer for them.

My grandpa bought one of the “big” dewalt ones with the 16” bar. I dont really think its any faster or lighter than our husky 445. Of course that saw is really fast for what it is.
I've been tempted many times, but each time I read the reviews on the dewalt versions it seems they are still working thru problems.
I have a hard time believing it would be faster than a 45cc saw, maybe a 35 or 40 though.
Is his the 60volt saw. My 60 volt hammer drill is a beast, you can run some large legs in and slow right down and feather the last couple turns and it just keeps going, you have to hold the battery with your spare hand to keep the drill from spinning.

Lots of threads on the battery saws. My opinion is that the battery is half the saw. If you are already invested in a specific platform (DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc.), and are looking for occasional chainsaw use, that is a good place to start.

If your main focus is saw performance, it is worth considering having a separate battery platform for your O*P*E (pole saw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, lawn mower, etc.).

Philbert

So I’m not disagreeing that these are dangerous… But I’m curious as to the injury rate compared to a hydraulic splitter?
To compare injury rate between the two types is probably difficult because there are countless hydraulic splitters out there, but only a limited number of the augur type.

Just looking at the augur splitter makes me uneasy. A neighbor (before my time) up the road here managed to injure his shoulder something frightful with one of those. He packed his shoulder injury with snow, which probably saved him from dying, according to the account I heard.

So I’m not disagreeing that these are dangerous… But I’m curious as to the injury rate compared to a hydraulic splitter?
The difference is the potential for injury, not the amount of injuries. There is no dead man or momentary switch to stop it in the event of entanglement.
If one gets pinched With a hydraulic splitter they at least have the option of stopping the maiming whereas you get caught in that screw your along for the ride until it decides to spit you out.
There are many differences but it's almost like getting caught in a pto. Everyone knows the hazards yet injuries still happen....
I can't tell you how many guards I've seen removed because "they were in the way"

There are many differences but it's almost like getting caught in a pto. Everyone knows the hazards yet injuries still happen....
I can't tell you how many guards I've seen removed because "they were in the way"
I think that's why the augur splitters give me the heebie-jeebies. Years of operating combines, with their numerous whipping chains, sprockets, belts, etc., and balers, etc. with pto shafts--all it takes is a moment of inattention to get a sleeve caught or some such. The casualty list/rate is beyond comprehension.

We knew a woman (a WWII bride from Britain) whose husband, Woodrow, didn't come in for dinner one day. She found his grisly remains tangled in the combine out in the field.

When doing combine repairs (I was the mechanic in our operation), my father-in-law would be in such a hurry to get back to work that he'd get pissed at me for "wasting time" to replace shields. My reply was always "there's a reason that shield is there."

Back