Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the guys from the church has the same unit, we were talking about it last night just a few hrs before you posted that lol.
He said he puts some quite large rounds in there for overnights and when they are leaving for a bit.
He just had a chimney fire about a month ago :surprised3:. The neighbor stopped over to tell him and had called the fire dept, my buddy tossed a road flare in the stove to extinguish it, it was out by the time the FD arrived. He's over 80, just had 100 trees harvested off his land this winter and he's cutting all the tops. He runs a battery saw, a husky 61, and a dolmar 7900, and just picked up an efco 62cc(not sure what model), great guy :).
I like it, puts out a lot of heat. It's pretty deep, so large rounds are easy to put in it. If I throw in there, it'll keep a bed of coals well into the morning.

This time of year, I just get a fire going for a couple hours and then let it burn out. Any more than that and it's like Miami in my house lol. When we're in the middle of a snow storm and it's cold outside, it's burning for days at a time.

Not wood but I saved this from the trash . House sold down the street and they had multible sales mostly nick nacks and old furniture . I drove by yesterday saw a huge pile of stuff this little fan caught my eye as it wasnt at the sales . Cord was trash but the blade turned so I took a chance new power cord a little cleaning and I oiled the bearings it has oil feeds on both sides . Works great but only on high most likely a blown resistor on the switch. Mimar Dynafan 325 circa 1950 made in Brooklyn NY0744A2A2-66F5-42BA-92CD-9F7D1E12F5B0.jpegD18968AD-AE19-42EE-80CE-809344E5144A.jpeg3F0E3710-D85B-46FC-AFFF-642CD4E5B57D.jpeg

My luck has changed. Went to the log yard last week before the rain and found new wood dumped there. Nice stuff. Maybe the arborist doesn't use his new chipper on all jobs. Dry enough today to get in there so I spent 2 hours cutting and loading. Mostly R. Oak, Black Oak (Black Jack Oak?), Ash and Pecan. I meant to take my camera with me to show all that is there, but I was in a hurry and forgot it. I ought to be able to get 3 - 4 more loads like this if he doesn't burn it right away. Just starting out for the year so I like to limit my 'exercise' to around 2 hours until I get my stamina.

Truck hardly budged with the new shocks and only squatted about half way when I hitched up the full trailer. It drives like a truck again.

IMG_0969.jpgIMG_0967.jpg

My luck has changed. Went to the log yard last week before the rain and found new wood dumped there. Nice stuff. Maybe the arborist doesn't use his new chipper on all jobs. Dry enough today to get in there so I spent 2 hours cutting and loading. Mostly R. Oak, Black Oak (Black Jack Oak?), Ash and Pecan. I meant to take my camera with me to show all that is there, but I was in a hurry and forgot it. I ought to be able to get 3 - 4 more loads like this if he doesn't burn it right away. Just starting out for the year so I like to limit my 'exercise' to around 2 hours until I get my stamina.

Truck hardly budged with the new shocks and only squatted about half way when I hitched up the full trailer. It drives like a truck again.

View attachment 977059View attachment 977060
1500 or 2500/3500? I've got a 3rd gen Ram 2500 with the 6.7 diesel and a 6 speed manual, a load of wood like that in the back, is the only time it rides nice lol. In its case, Dodge was very conservative in the payload capacity rating.

1500 or 2500/3500? I've got a 3rd gen Ram 2500 with the 6.7 diesel and a 6 speed manual, a load of wood like that in the back, is the only time it rides nice lol. In its case, Dodge was very conservative in the payload capacity rating.
It's only a 1500 2WD. I put coiled shocks on the rear and I love them.

Have had lots of wood with tracks like that under the bark most prevalent is ash but other species also. The stringy part and thickness of the bark and color I'm sticking with BW
All the talk of walnut made me think of the English walnut I got from a tree service a couple of years ago. That's the only experience I have with it. I think I may have a couple of pieces left from that to compare to tomorrow. Anybody believing that?

Latest posts

Back