Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using wood more and more to cook with. This roast was seared and smoked over charcoal and apple wood. After a few hours it went into the roasting pan (protected with foil so my wife doesn't kill me in my sleep). Now I'm using ash to provide the heat. Got it sitting at 325° and I come by once in a while and add more wood. I'll let you know how it goes 😊
IMG_20220730_143106.jpgIMG_20220730_154310.jpg

Smoked up some beef brisket, used some just split maple and some oak. 8 hours at 225* wrapped in foil and finished at 325* for 3 hours. Apple juice for a marinade with garlic powder and tenderizer. Great part is the 55 gallon barrel stove takes the 24" wood for the OWB.
My garden is under attack and I think it's rodents. First I lost my green beans , something chewed all the leaves off. Now something is climbing up my tomato plants and chewing up the tomato's. I put a 5 gallon pail with water in it for a trap, beer can on a rod at the top with peanut butter on it. Thew climb up a wood ramp and go out for the PB and spin off the can and drown. Any other ideas on how to get rid of them. Nice crop of tomato's and I am loosing all of them. I can't poison them because of the dogs and cat.
briskit.jpg

I protected my garden last year with a solar electric fence ... worked well!

Woodchucks were eating all my broccoli and rats were eating my tomatoes.

Ran the electric low to the ground (inside my regular fence so the dogs could not get to it) and then put wood right in back of it, so if anything went under the wire it would touch the wire when it went over the wood.

Heres my thoughts on file versus grinder, i do both they are about the same speed but the grinder is more precise at holding angles.
I have the Tecomec version of the 520 and like it. What i find is whatever you choose grinder or file you will become used to and will end up preferring to do.
if you get a grinder mount it a chest height and its pretty easy and comfortable to do.
IMOP. Hard to beat a square grinder set up to dress the stone to tune the chain's cutter plate's with steeper angles than factory when cutting conifer. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware.

It's on the ground. Just start cutting branches off the end like you might do normally. Just keep your eyes open for any complications as the trunk gets lighter from missing branches.

That tree will probably be easier than one you felled, since the trunk will tend to hold itself up off the ground while you chunk it up.
Normally I'd have went that route. What wasn't in the pic was all of the large branches after a fork in the tree that were 10-12' up. Well out of reach and too big for a pole saw. There was precious little actually holding anything where it hinged over so that wasn't helping things either. I wound up taking the slower safer route and threw a chain over it and pulled it sideways off the stump. Too much tension and pressure and the whole mess over the top of my head. Once the trunk hit the ground it was easy peasy.
By the way, I cut the trunk up with the craftsman 3.7 ( Shreveport era) that some fellas on here talked me in to fixing up and wow I was totally in love. It will do even better with a new chain which it earned today!Screenshot_20220730-205200.png

Always hard to tell from a photo. But I would take off what I could with a pole saw, then try to fell the main trunk perpendicular to the hanging section. Done a number of broken trees that way.

Philbert
Yes sir I have used a pole saw quite a bit on stuff like that. This one was super scary. Almost nothing holding it where it hinged and what was there was rotten. The tree use to be a double and where the former half broke off 4 years ago was rotted and eat up by ants.
In short if a butterfly flapped it's wing in Costa Rica it may have blown that trunk off the stump! There was also a huge bunch of larger limbs that would have been too much for the pole saw and they were 10-12' up.
Given all these issues, I took the safe route and pulled the trunk off the stump with a come a long. Simple job after that.
Thanks for the response and it's good to know I'm not the only fella who drags out the pole saw on a top here and there!!

I guessing a lot of you guys work on small engines and this is not a chainsaw. But I've got a small pressure washer that had been setting for years. I poured out the old gas and added gas/Sea Foam to the tank. When I spray starting fluid into the air intake, I can get it to run for a few seconds and then it dies. I'll pop off the gas line to make sure of getting gas to the carb. Short of that, any thoughts? I let it set for a couple of hours and then overnight and try it again. Hope the Sea Foam does the trick.

Edit: Watched a couple of videos. If I can't get it started, I take apart the carb and clean it. No need to respond.
Good chance that the main jet is clogged up. Also check the low speed jet while you're in there. The biggest annoyances are finding a perfect fitting screwdriver to remove the main jet and proper diameter wires to clean the holes. Standard screwdrivers usually don't fit well and will bugger up the brass slot on the jet. I use a set of square ground gunsmithing screwdrivers to find a tight fit on both width and thickness.
A standard twisty tie with some of the material burned off the end to expose the wire might work for the smaller holes.

Looks like that seat has been upgraded with a kitchen chair. There is a woman somewhere that is still on the warpath after one of hers came up missing.
Kitchen chairs on equipment is the bomb! :laugh:
My backhoe when I had the seat assembly removed to tighten up the slop.
P3220010.JPG

And a few years later when a bear had some sort of issue with the chair.
P6090003.JPG

Normally I'd have went that route. What wasn't in the pic was all of the large branches after a fork in the tree that were 10-12' up. Well out of reach and too big for a pole saw. There was precious little actually holding anything where it hinged over so that wasn't helping things either. I wound up taking the slower safer route and threw a chain over it and pulled it sideways off the stump. Too much tension and pressure and the whole mess over the top of my head. Once the trunk hit the ground it was easy peasy.
By the way, I cut the trunk up with the craftsman 3.7 ( Shreveport era) that some fellas on here talked me in to fixing up and wow I was totally in love. It will do even better with a new chain which it earned today!View attachment 1006700
Love those Craftsman/Poulans😉

Hope this wasn't any of you scoungers here. :crazy2:
View attachment 1006739
I don't know if that's greed or ignorance sometimes. Decent tongue weight too.

It reminds me of all the guys I see with 6+ ton minis on 10k car trailers. Axles bowed out and begging for mercy.

I honestly think some people just don't know better.

Shea

Back