Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work on small engines and if it is a Briggs engine, some of their carbs have 3 holes in the plug at the bottom of the carb. I use OxyAccet torch tip cleaners and clean those holes out. The biggest thing I can recommend is to only use Non-Ethanol Gas in those small engines if they sit for a while. If you are going to use it for a while and go thru lots of gas then Ethanol will work as long as you drain it out when you get done at the end of they season and then refill with Non-Ethanol and allow it to run a min or two. Carbs can be really tricky and a pain in the backside!
I use a small torch to heat up the jets and emulsifier tube and burn the goo out, then hit them with a bit of brake parts cleaner.
Sometimes a little poke with a piece of wire is needed, but not normally.
Last week I did one on a lawn mower for a friend. The inside of the carb was as clean as the last time I had done it 2 yrs ago, all I did was pulled it apart and put it back together and it ran great. On this particular carb the fuel bowl is filled thru the bowl bolt, so care must be taken to align it with the slot on the carb. I used a sharpie to mark the bolt, then you align the mark on the bolt with the fuel inlet. It's easy to do, but I bet many have over-tightened the bolt causing less or no fuel to get into the bowl and thus creating a no run or a situation where it only runs for a short period as the bowl will not fill quick enough to keep the engine running.

I protected my garden last year with a solar electric fence ... worked well!

Woodchucks were eating all my broccoli and rats were eating my tomatoes.

Ran the electric low to the ground (inside my regular fence so the dogs could not get to it) and then put wood right in back of it, so if anything went under the wire it would touch the wire when it went over the wood.
I found the culprits eating up the garden, it's mice. The 5 gallon bucket trap got 3 of them the first night and one last night. Chickens fight over them and make a mess of them. I also found a spray to keep mice away. it's peppermint oil. Heat 3 drops per cup and spray it on the tomato's. I also replanted beans and will spray the plants as they come out
I bought whole brisket on sale & son cooked it over coals.
It looked alot like above picture, on cutting board.
We got lucky, a local butcher shop had brisket on sale $4.90 a lb . Couldn't resist that.

It was, very very late production 65’s.

I just learned yesterday that the very early ones had a different clutch cover too. The cover LOOKS identical but the stud spacing is closer together.
I was unaware of that also ill have to look at the badges on mine and see what they are I have I believe 4 of them and I want to say that they are all Sweden saws 2 of them were the 65Ls that I had heard had the bigger dogs which they do and the piston and rings were either single thin ring or a double ring I cant remember which way it is I know the 65 is one way and the 65L was the other. I own both but outside of the west coast dogs on it I cant really tell the difference.

Teens as in younger fish. The big footballs get tossed back. Many dont know not to eat old fish. The meat is better when theyre younger
We don't eat Small Mouth. Actually I don't know anybody that does. I prefer pan fish, or Walleye for eating, as far as fresh water fish go anyway.

Borrowed my cousin's tractor and chipper. Man what a thing! Gobbled up what I perceived as a massive brush pile in less than 2 hours by myself 😃.
View attachment 1007080View attachment 1007081View attachment 1007082
I'd LOVE to have a chipper. I may end up getting one for my little Kubota. But I really should wait until I've got a larger tractor, and buy a larger chipper to match the larger tractor's HP. I'd love get rid fo all of the brush piles that I'm making on my property when dropping trees. I could chip up all of the garbage, and then use the chips to line the side by side trails running through our property to firm up the mud after it rains.

I was unaware of that also ill have to look at the badges on mine and see what they are I have I believe 4 of them and I want to say that they are all Sweden saws 2 of them were the 65Ls that I had heard had the bigger dogs which they do and the piston and rings were either single thin ring or a double ring I cant remember which way it is I know the 65 is one way and the 65L was the other. I own both but outside of the west coast dogs on it I cant really tell the difference.
I'm also wondering if the old one is a A65 instead of L65...the serial plate is up on the bar mount instead of back on the mag side like every one I have ever seen. No model number, just a serial number. I do not think @SawTroll gets around here much anymore?

I'd LOVE to have a chipper. I may end up getting one for my little Kubota. But I really should wait until I've got a larger tractor, and buy a larger chipper to match the larger tractor's HP. I'd love get rid fo all of the brush piles that I'm making on my property when dropping trees. I could chip up all of the garbage, and then use the chips to line the side by side trails running through our property to firm up the mud after it rains.
I have a bx1870 which will kind of run a chipper apparently but bigger stuff would be hard on it. The John Deere is 35 hp, double that of my Kubota, and didn't even grunt at 2200 rpm. Supposedly the chipper is good up to 6". I didn't chip anything bigger than 3". Worked like a charm and used maybe 2 gallons of fuel including the 20 minute tractor ride from his place. Made me wish I had a bigger place with more trees!

I'm also wondering if the old one is a A65 instead of L65...the serial plate is up on the bar mount instead of back on the mag side like every one I have ever seen. No model number, just a serial number. I do not think @SawTroll gets around here much anymore?
It could very well be. I think the recoil is slightly different on those also it looks like a bunch of holes drilled in it as opposed to the slots. They all have loads of torque one of my favorite firewood saws.

Excellent exploratory trip to suss out scrounging opportunities there Cowboy :D
looks like an excellent spot for a swim :surprised3:

Yeeesss. We had a swim at a freshwater spot called Crocodile Creek (it's only a name they said). There were two pools, the higher one fed the smaller one via a small 10m waterfall. But the bottom pool lies just below the high tide line so crocs can get in. People used to swim in the lower pool or bomb off the top of the waterfall into it until one day... :crazy2:

So we climbed up and swam in the upper pool only. Interestingly, the saltwater crocodile can grow up to 26 feet but all the ones we saw only had four feet :laughing:

I have some cool GoPro and drone footage as well but I haven't got that organised yet.

IMG_20220801_124757049.jpgIMG_20220801_124753126.jpg

Soooo, I got a call this morning. I've cut a few loads of down oak off the land owners property. Still have quite a few left. This tree came down recently. Solid oak, at the base I'm confident it's going to be in the 3' range.

I still have to finish the trees left from my neighbors scrounge......and I'm running out of room!!! Oh the tragedy.

Shea

Latest posts

Back