Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What government land can you scrounge on In VIC, Here in NSW its only state forest

G'day Jeff, it is state forest here as well, but only certain (small) sections of it. And only within 20m of the road, can only cut 2 cubes per day, can't drive to the log etc. Previously there was a permit arrangement where you had to pay but could cut anywhere in the state forest, and the Parks Victoria blokes would tell you where there was some good wood. Now it is free but much more restricted in where you can go - the latter being the aim of the gummint, of course.

KK, that was a great post about felling snags. I drop trees here and there, but only the easy ones that are in good condition and no tricky stuff. Always good to have information from the more experienced to add to the knowledge bank.

This bit told me that you now fit in properly around here though...

Moderately decomposed snags can possibly be felled somewhat safely but are Stihl dangerous

:laugh:

Man airlifted to hospital after being crushed by tree while using chainsaw - https://www.9news.com.au/national/t...hospital/e2262884-20d9-4c51-b62e-4878df9c5f36

Stay safe out there fellas....
Great article, very informative 😏.
I'll save you guys the trouble, guy had a tree fall on him, then Ems had to get it off, and he's now being treated for back issues. the article if you can find it thru all the advertising and other articles popping up and playing on the site:badpc:.

We all must keep our heads in the game. Even the most experienced veteran timber workers can get hurt, and a lot of them have!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍
Not sure I shared it here, a good friend of mine who's a mechanic lost three fingers about two months ago. Lost his balance and started to fall backwards, reached up and grabbed what he could, which was the underside of a minivan, next thing he saw something fly through the air :oops: .
This happened at 4:30, it's not uncommon for an injury or an accident to happen later in one's shift. If you're not feeling it, probably should walk away and come back to it later; unfortunately I know how the real world works, we get pushed.
One time I had called in to work because my allergies were acting up real bad, they responded by saying we don't have anyone could you help us out. So I went in, around 3am, did my inspection and pulled out the front only to have the lead trailer disconnect from the tractor and rip the landing gear off.
Found out later that they had disconnected my trailers and serviced my truck, then reconnected it, but obviously the pin wasn't locked 100%.
Would I have noticed if I wasn't tired and not feeling well, I'll never know, but now I always say no, and I make it a safety issue (which it is) and say that I don't feel safe doing that.
Also even though I was "helping them out", they had no problem attempting to charge me for the damages a yr later. I said I have no problem paying my 27%(that's the percentage of the load I received), if I get the receipt so I can write it off on my taxes, which they had already done. I didn't pay a cent and it was wrong of them to even ask an employee to pay.
I've turned down many tree jobs because I didn't feel good about them, no shame in it if you're not there, there's plenty of danger in a typical tree let alone something sketchy that you know is above your pay grade. Many times it's just a matter of not having the right equipment or a helper, regardless, I just say no. Then there's the times I'm totally confident I can do the job, but I have no idea how I'm going to do it lol.
Be safe guys.

I think that would depend on where in the door you tried to go through, and what you encountered.

If you don't hit the reinforced parts you are OK, but I would not count on it working so well in every part of the door.

The 9 is only a little more power than a 38, and not near a 357 (they are all about 35 caliber - 9 is .355; 38 and 357 are .357!

Why do they call it a 38? To fool you!

and it was wrong of them to even ask an employee to pay.
Not only "wrong", but illegal as ****. You can fire an employee for damaging your equipment, but you absolutely can't take money out of their paychecks for it. I've had (literally) probably a hundred times had employees damage my equipment. I can fire them if I choose to, but unless it was gross negligence, or that employee has a history of damaging my stuff, I try to let it go. In this day and age, I don't want to lose a good employee over an accident. Again, each circumstance is different though.

I also couldn't agree with you more about walking away from a job that you're either not prepared to do due to equipment, employee, or personal limitations. Because as you saw on your job, when something does go wrong, they'll try to penalize you for it. No good deed goes unpunished.

I think that would depend on where in the door you tried to go through, and what you encountered.

If you don't hit the reinforced parts you are OK, but I would not count on it working so well in every part of the door.

The 9 is only a little more power than a 38, and not near a 357 (they are all about 35 caliber - 9 is .355; 38 and 357 are .357!

Mike, it's all a joke, my "hole" post was a joke :laugh:.
I'd call that hook, line, and sinker, even though I have no idea why someone would put the sinker that close to the hook unless they were "snag"ging :laughing:. Couldn't resist :happy:.

I've just been going through this once I started seeing all of the black bear images show up on my trail cams. Up until recently, my largest handgun was a .357. After seeing the bear numerous times, I decided that I wanted something in a larger caliber than the .357 and 9mil I have. I debated on going 44 for a minute just due to caliber, but ended up settling on a Kimber 10mil. I figure the difference from a 43 cal to a 40 cal is negligible to the bear, and both should get the job done, but I'm just not comfortable shooting a 44 anymore. After losing a lot of weight, I'm down to about 160lbs. and I just don't like the recoil of the 44 anymore. I don't know if my decision was right or not, but either way, I got a larger caliber in a semi-auto platform, so I feel a little more secure.

In all reality, a .38 or 9mil should be plenty for a black bear as well, because around here, a good sized black bear is about 300lbs. But, depending on what time of year it is, and how much fat the bear has put on, there are times where a head or chest cavity shot would be required to bring it down with the smaller caliber, and depending on the situation, and how much time you have, shot placement may not be perfect. Hence the wanting something a little larger for me.

Not only "wrong", but illegal as ****. You can fire an employee for damaging your equipment, but you absolutely can't take money out of their paychecks for it. I've had (literally) probably a hundred times had employees damage my equipment. I can fire them if I choose to, but unless it was gross negligence, or that employee has a history of damaging my stuff, I try to let it go. In this day and age, I don't want to lose a good employee over an accident. Again, each circumstance is different though.

I also couldn't agree with you more about walking away from a job that you're either not prepared to do due to equipment, employee, or personal limitations. Because as you saw on your job, when something does go wrong, they'll try to penalize you for it. No good deed goes unpunished.
Yeah, kinda like when my boss in FL paid for half the cost of my chiropractor bills when I hurt my back on the job, what a nice guy.
No good deed goes unpunished
Just talking about that yesterday lol.
I left church a month ago to pick up some debris my wife had cut/pulled out of a friend's landscaping(she injured her shoulder),then dumped it at a friend's, left there to get a "free" snowblower and smashed into Bambi :rare2:. The good thing is I ran the old fuel out of it and it seems to run quite well, may need a carb cleaning later though.
Still need to straighten it out a bit and to get a headlight housing and the turn signal, but it still rolls straight as it's mainlall cosmetic.
20220808_165847.jpg

I've just been going through this once I started seeing all of the black bear images show up on my trail cams. Up until recently, my largest handgun was a .357. After seeing the bear numerous times, I decided that I wanted something in a larger caliber than the .357 and 9mil I have. I debated on going 44 for a minute just due to caliber, but ended up settling on a Kimber 10mil. I figure the difference from a 43 cal to a 40 cal is negligible to the bear, and both should get the job done, but I'm just not comfortable shooting a 44 anymore. After losing a lot of weight, I'm down to about 160lbs. and I just don't like the recoil of the 44 anymore. I don't know if my decision was right or not, but either way, I got a larger caliber in a semi-auto platform, so I feel a little more secure.

In all reality, a .38 or 9mil should be plenty for a black bear as well, because around here, a good sized black bear is about 300lbs. But, depending on what time of year it is, and how much fat the bear has put on, there are times where a head or chest cavity shot would be required to bring it down with the smaller caliber, and depending on the situation, and how much time you have, shot placement may not be perfect. Hence the wanting something a little larger for me.
But a 9mm will blow the lungs out man.
That 10mm in semi should be a beast.
What model did you go with.

But a 9mm will blow the lungs out man.
That 10mm in semi should be a beast.
What model did you go with.
I just got the Custom II GFO. I wanted the stainless Raptor II, but figured the bear wouldn't care if I was carrying a shiny stainless handgun or not.

I'm a novice with handguns. I spent 35 years living in IL, where they have some of the strictest gun laws in the country, so after moving here to the great state of MI, I'm finally exploring handguns more!

I just got the Custom II GFO. I wanted the stainless Raptor II, but figured the bear wouldn't care if I was carrying a shiny stainless handgun or not.

I'm a novice with handguns. I spent 35 years living in IL, where they have some of the strictest gun laws in the country, so after moving here to the great state of MI, I'm finally exploring handguns more!
Kimber makes a great pistol.
I'd think just the glimmer of a stainless would make them run, might save a bit on ammo, at least that's what the guys probably tell their wives 🤣.

I think there's something political in this post, we better get that fox guy in here to check it all out.
As I've told you before, I know that big city well; and after driving it for yrs and hanging out there a lot with both friends and family, I'm glad I don't have any reason to go there anymore.
Funny thing, I'd avoid the first part of the 80/294 toll rd and drive right thru the heart of the worst part of Southern Chitcago, where all the shootings are. People asked if I was concerned about it, I said not really as it's all black on black crime. Besides I've ran in the worst areas all along the great lakes, east Chicago/ Hammond, Gary, Benton Harbor, Muskegon, Detroit, toledo, Cleveland, and that's just the ones around the Lakes.
Is that kimber gonna be a carry gun too.

Just thought I'd share this picture with all of you gentleman! This a the top of a rotten snag that naturally blew out in a wind storm and stuck in the ground upsidedown! However, I've seen this happen many many times! Especially when felling a snag and the top catches a limb of another tree in tight corridors during the fall of these these lovely lovely widow makers! 😂 what This is just one of many reasons when cutting in our back yards, or on an industrial level, and everything in between!

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!👍View attachment 1013993View attachment 1013993
what backyard lumberjack wouldn't :heart: that? :popcorn2:

:pingpong:

Thanks for the offering I really appreciate it. I pretty well got it cleaned up yesterday. Good thing my FIL bought the RK tractor he did a couple of months ago because moving all that by hand would have been impossible. The roofing company came out and tarped the roof yesterday now we are waiting for the adjuster on Friday. We have no idea what the insurance will pay for trees we are hoping they will cover the stump grinding and the limb chipping but if they don't we will rent a chipper to at least get that done and see what to do about the stumps later.View attachment 1013994View attachment 1013995View attachment 1013996View attachment 1013997View attachment 1013998View attachment 1013999View attachment 1014000View attachment 1014006View attachment 1014007View attachment 1014008
now that's what i call a foto essay! ;)

:) i am just here for the pix! ~

Yum bacon grease with nuts :sweet:.
Why wouldn't they like that.

I need bacon!
.@chipper:
Good afternoon BL.
I always have a bag of mix, or a container of cashews available :sweet:.

bacon only, cause he always has nuts with him.... :pingpong:

Latest posts

Back