Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still looking for 5 reels of 72EXL. It is said that pre-made loops on amazon are cheaper
I buy all mine spun up for the time being, I watch for deals and buy way ahead of need them normally.
Not opposed to spinning them up myself, but for what I've paid I have no reason. I wish I could find some deals on stihl picco chain, I really like it on my baby saws, and I never seem to find any deals on it. That being said, most times I'm using those saws I'm making good money, so paying a little extra isn't the worst thing, but it does suck when I pay less for a 20" or 24" in regular 3/8 :sucks:.
I do what I can to avoid amazon ;).
Edit: forgot to ask, what length chains are you looking for and do you need any bars, if so what saws.

I buy all mine spun up for the time being, I watch for deals and buy way ahead of need them normally.
Not opposed to spinning them up myself, but for what I've paid I have no reason. I wish I could find some deals on stihl picco chain, I really like it on my baby saws, and I never seem to find any deals on it. That being said, most times I'm using those saws I'm making good money, so paying a little extra isn't the worst thing, but it does suck what I pay less for a 20" or 24" in regular 3/8 :sucks:.
I do what I can to avoid amazon ;).
Edit: forgot to ask, what length chains are you looking for and do you need any bars, if so what saws.
Shoot me a PM on what sizes of Picco you need. I might have an option for you but it will be time sensitive in the fact that it will be soon, as in probably 2 weeks or sooner.

Thats all I burn at home. Big stove's banked with big piece's of wood keep a fire going till morning.👍
For years all I ever burned was Locust which of course is a hardwood and a very hard hardwood at that. Now that I have an outdoor boiler the wood I burn is......any wood 😀l that I can get in the door......😀

I've probably got 2-3 cords of locust for the long, cold stretches. But, my outside boiler eats most anything. I have 6 huge pines to take down that I will burn next year if I can get them down and to the house this fall. I have way too much wood around the house for just myself. Trying to convince my son to split some and sell it so that it won't go to waste. Guess I should work on the splitter to help with that.

Shea

I've probably got 2-3 cords of locust for the long, cold stretches. But, my outside boiler eats most anything. I have 6 huge pines to take down that I will burn next year if I can get them down and to the house this fall. I have way too much wood around the house for just myself. Trying to convince my son to split some and sell it so that it won't go to waste. Guess I should work on the splitter to help with that.

Shea
I am the same. The boiler burns any wood that goes in it. As for the Locust it will last forever. In my opinion it is second only to hedge for hardness and durability. We still have Locust fence posts that were cut 40 years ago. There were some that my grandfather cut 60 years ago but my brother shoved them in a ravine when he was dozing.

Many burn entirely softwoods with no problems.

Thats all I burn at home. Big stove's banked with big piece's of wood keep a fire going till morning.👍
I wont let any wood go to waste this stuff will be next years wood. I've never had any issues with the chimney being dirty. I run it hot and I run a brush down it during the burning season once a month if the weather allows and so far its been nice and clean. I would assume that the people that are having issues with burning softwood do not know or are not involved with knowing their chimney and the condition of it.

I still like it. I liked it better when there was a p&r section, that kept it out of everywhere else.

Wow! This is the 4th forum I’ve seen you on, are you stalking me? lol. Have you seen my updates on the tractor forum? Getting some work done with the loader.

It's a vapid wasteland of meme threads and TUT style cliques. I have a burner account and it amazes me how void of personalities there are any more. They said...get your own forum and we did. It's member moderated by calling out BS and shaming the person. It works fantastically. It's like the mud of old.

Well we do have some same interests. We both have mountain properties with tons of trees that require lots of chainsaw work.. We both drive Toyota 4x4's from the 80/90's because...they will never make that tough of a truck / Landcruiser ever again. I have a cabin, I know you want to build a cabin. I have big equipment and you have big equipment.

All you are missing is some rude folks that get their jollies from insulting others.
The only reason that scumhole exists is because of the all powerful dollar. 90 percent of the people in there do not participate in the regular areas of this forum.

Darin should have kept it closed and banned those who tried to bring trouble to the other areas of this forum once it was closed.

I honestly don't know if you are trying to be funny, or you've just never seen a high-quality piece of wood on a firearm before?

P1010848-S.jpg

SR
I was trying to be funny & I was talking about you deer, enough to last at least a month. I still have venison from last year.

Im running Stihl chain. I've run Oregon quite a bit in the past, but prefer Stihl chain more.
The reason I asked is because full-sized STIHL brand chain should not stretch any more in different gauges, as it is the same at the top of each drive link, where the rivets are, and the rivet holes that enlargen (‘stretch’).

C5B0101E-73E1-4881-84AD-D9A161441B83.jpeg

STIHL drive links are swaged at the bottom to fit narrower gauge bar grooves (0.058, 0.050), but they use the exact same rivets and pre-sets up top as 0.063 gauge chain.

You may be getting more side wear at the bottom of the thinner drive links, like some of your recent pictures show.

Oregon and other brands are a little different.

Philbert

The reason I asked is because full-sized STIHL brand chain should not stretch any more in different gauges, as it is the same at the top of each drive link, where the rivets are, and the rivet holes that enlargen (‘stretch’).

View attachment 1017371

The drive links are swaged at the bottom to fit narrower gauge bar grooves (0.058, 0.050), but they use the exact same rivets and pre-sets up top as 0.063 gauge chain.

You may be getting more side wear at the bottom of the thinner drive links, like some of your recent pictures show.

Philbert
Phil as you obviously know , not only are chain component dimensions & tolerances often proprietary , so is the base metallurgy . No chain is really apple to apple . There is no chain I use right out of the box for serious cutting , I always give a quick touch up prior to a felling , bucking or limbing session . I have used , Carlton , Oregon , Stihl & even Sten 's after a quick rework by hand or on the grinder . They all perform, some just better or longer in my opinion than others in different circumstances , especially cold weather conditions !

View attachment 1017371

STIHL drive links are swaged at the bottom to fit narrower gauge bar grooves (0.058, 0.050), but they use the exact same rivets and pre-sets up top as 0.063 gauge chain.

Philbert
☝️That's good info that I did not know! 👍 Good on ya! Could very well be more ware to the side straps! 🤔 I've only parted two or three chains that I can remember in the last 25 years. Regardless, the .50 gage definitely seems to ware faster than .63! 👎 Witch makes sense being as its lighter duty chain.

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Phil as you obviously know , not only are chain component dimensions & tolerances often proprietary , so is the base metallurgy . No chain is really apple to apple . There is no chain I use right out of the box for serious cutting , I always give a quick touch up prior to a felling , bucking or limbing session . I have used , Carlton , Oregon , Stihl & even Sten 's after a quick rework by hand or on the grinder . They all perform, some just better or longer in my opinion than others in different circumstances , especially cold weather conditions !
Well put! Well put indeed! 👍

Ran the MS460 a bit tonight. Just enough to compare it to my imaginary MS462... Yeah the difference isn't worth the money 🤑 so I'll stick with the 460. Lol 🤣. Probably split a facecord or so and got the center of the round stack filled in. I don't do a traditional holzhouzen like some do but I really like the round stack. This one is oval, about 6x8 and will end up about 5 ft high. A mathematician could tell you how many cord. News said the hazy sunset is forest fire smoke. It was pretty and I worked right on through it till I couldn't see.
IMG_20220915_194632.jpgIMG_20220915_200529.jpgIMG_20220915_190959.jpg

Latest posts

Back