Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's scrounge at the local junk yard.

Ten more grader blades.
Four 8 foot x 2.5 inch x .25 inch galvanized angle stock.
One bottom pallet fork support bracket.
One 7 foot Western Plow that needs new rams and hoses.
Two stray dogs operating a Skid Steer.

$200.00

View attachment 1058649
View attachment 1058647View attachment 1058648
Man I wish we had a junk yard like that around here. Normally the couple places we do have want more then new prices for crap.

Man I wish we had a junk yard like that around here. Normally the couple places we do have want more then new prices for crap.
Dude! You should see everything that is in the scrap heap! Thousands of dollars in good structural steel! Black iron, galvanized, and stainless! Im getting ready to make another run in here in a few minutes! Tires out the wazzo! Car and pickup parts everywhere!

It's a motor head's and/or fabricators smorgasbord!

I’ve never really been that interested in the 338/06. I do have a 35 whelen improved that I am quite fond of though.
The 35 is nice, but the 338-06 has a good following partly because there seems to be more bullets in the 200-250 range that are suitable for it. Also, most of them have higher BCs than their 35 caliber counterparts, so past 100 yds the 338-06 will often have more energy (and they both have more than enough within 100 yds).

I'm sure it is also a bit easier to convert 30-06 brass to 33 instead of 35. If I had to choose again, I would choose the same thing.

Pro
Dude! You should see everything that is in the scrap heap! Thousands of dollars in good structural steel! Black iron, galvanized, and stainless! Im getting ready to make another run in here in a few minutes! Tires out the wazzo! Car and pickup parts everywhere!

I hate you a little bit right now

Pro

I hate you a little bit right now
Our yards are crap around here mostly late model crap and the price they want for metal I can buy drops at the steel yard
5quarts on the nose
C07DB3CD-24E1-4070-AA7D-D424C8DF61BD.jpeg

The 35 is nice, but the 338-06 has a good following partly because there seems to be more bullets in the 200-250 range that are suitable for it. Also, most of them have higher BCs than their 35 caliber counterparts, so past 100 yds the 338-06 will often have more energy (and they both have more than enough within 100 yds).

I'm sure it is also a bit easier to convert 30-06 brass to 33 instead of 35. If I had to choose again, I would choose the same thing.
I'm wanting one more and more every day! Unfortunately I don't think I could fit another rifle in the arms locker.

Who am I kidding? Of course I could!
I'd make it fit! 🤣🤣😉

Matt, any small or large rife primers not foolishly priced, any 348 Hornady FTX bullets, or 338 Barnes TTSX in 210 or 225 grain. I have some of each, but don't see them for sale anymore. I'm afraid if my gun likes something, I will only be able to load a limited amount.

I have CFE223, IMR4350 and RL23, but if it is reasonably priced, I'll take some more. I'm low on LVR, H380 and IMR 4064 but not desperate to have them, but if the price is good I'll take some more.

I read an article on the shortages earlier today. It said everything is periodically in short supply (specific powders, bullets and brass) but that primers are in the shortest supply. They said several companies have trading agreements with one another that result in less being sold to the general public. (Loaded ammo is getting priority over reloading supplies and odd ball cartridges).
Last time I bought primers they were just under .03ea by the case 🤣

Gave the Ms400 it first run. Laid into noodling the pile of chunks that have been accumulating for around 20 years. Not impressed.
1. Safety chain is not a good choice for noodling. I did buy a 25" skip tooth for it when I bought it. Safety chain will shortly reside in the trash can.
2. Takes waaayyy to many pulls to start cold. Book says "put on Start and pull until it starts". I had to take a short breather from pulling. Started after around 3 more pulls
3. Best warm start I got was 3 pulls. Once many pulls.

I hope that improves with use!!!

I do like the "Light Bar" that comes on it

Latest posts

Back