Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last 20 years have been the biggest data mining/spying on citizens in the history world. Can you say Patriot Act?

I have about 2.5 hours into tearing the top off. Book time is almost 14 hours. Not a bad job, just lots of ancillary stuff to take off to get to the engine.
right! other day Firefox has a site article, called: Why Gmail is free.

Good post CB, but what bothers me is the hypocrites out there that talk "green" but don't accomplish it.

If you look at the facts, Trump reduced CO-2 emissions by 25% over Obama/Biden, and that is huge! Conversely, Biden increased CO-2 emissions 6.5% his first year in office (before the war with Ukraine and Russia started).

The reason is simple, under Trump almost all of our electric was generated with Natural Gas, which is much cleaner than oil or coal. When Biden restricted natural gas production, we started using oil and coal to generate our electric again.

I could go on, but that is the major gist of it. There seems to be more talk about going green than action, and if the pollution is in someone else's backyard, it seems like it is not important even though they say it is a global problem.

I also think that addressing water pollution is under rated. Even though many waterways are much cleaner now (as you have noted), there are basically no waters (fresh or salt) where it is safe to eat the fish harvested on a regular basis. That is a real shame, as fish should be an important part of a healthy diet.
i think you are right, MM! as i am sure all those folks in small towns n pueblos Down Meh-Hicko Way... will be looking forward to getting new EV vehicles soon :rolleyes:... so much for the polluting Novas....
zzzzxem.JPG

We had a letter in our local paper complaining about my neighbor butchering out a cow. "kids on the school bus could see that...". My aching A$$. This is rural farm country and if a kid hasn't seen that they haven't been looking.
guess they wouldn't like to see my chickendust foto essay up close and personal... have to admit, with production at levels like that, the country air had a bit of a distinct aroma.... :nofunny:

:laugh:

no :drinkingcoffee: yet, but will somebody please, just...
:givebeer:

That's what I'm talking about.
My guys do a good amount of butchering, hundreds of chickens at a time with some friends in the fall.
Here's an old picture, when you said the deer leg thing it's what came to mind.
View attachment 1068429
.zzzzxck.jpe

sorta reminds me of:
zzzzxcf.JPG

hundreds huh?? WOW!! this lil side yard operation made quick the process..... the grated device is the de-featherer. plucking a bird is not exactly fun. pre-preps did include some time in hot water, as in hand plucking. actually, the entire flock was in hot water!!! lol. demise day but moments away... then to the freezer, pot or grill. the brother of my av flock had picked up about 100! and at $7.00 butchered, they were going fast. overalll, a bit on the raw side, if u will pardon the pun. here is a bit of a foto essay on the subject from couple days back. once those feathers started flying, reminded me of a crew of arborists making chunks... chips, chickendust and a few feathers!! just some country boys at work!

.fresh off the grill...View attachment 1068458
View attachment 1068453View attachment 1068454View attachment 1068455View attachment 1068456
Yep, anywhere from 80-a few hundred, they do the birds for many of the 4-H clubs after fair. He butchers quite a few other critters to and raises cattle. Same guy I went to the Amish festival in East Ohio with last summer, great family.

We had a letter in our local paper complaining about my neighbor butchering out a cow. "kids on the school bus could see that...". My aching A$$. This is rural farm country and if a kid hasn't seen that they haven't been looking.
My dad and his friend were out hunting in Montana one time. The friend and his guide saw a coyote out in one of the fields and stopped on the side of a secondary road. He’s laying out on the hood getting ready to shoot it and a school bus comes up the road. The school bus stops and watched him shoot the coyote and all the kids cheered!!!

Your paper should close down or sell out to a normal person.

I have deer on the trail cameras in my yard. A couple of nice freezer meat does. They tear up my garden. Ate up a 50' row of tulips. Twice before I gave up on planting them. I've tried to talk my Brother setting up a tree stand in my woods and take a few of them out. But we're afraid of the same thing. Wounded deer would run onto a neighbors yard and traumatize their kids. Daddy, he shot Bambi!
My farmer friend neighbor is always having deer issues that get corrected quickly.

My dad and his friend were out hunting in Montana one time. The friend and his guide saw a coyote out in one of the fields and stopped on the side of a secondary road. He’s laying out on the hood getting ready to shoot it and a school bus comes up the road. The school bus stops and watched him shoot the coyote and all the kids cheered!!!
That's awesome.
I remember watching a cat chase a rabbit on top of the snow one day while on the bus, it was like something off Mutual of Omaha Wild Kindom show, that was a while ago :surprised3:. I can still see the location to this day in my mind, maybe I should get some counseling now that we know where the problem lies:laughing:.

That's awesome.
I remember watching a cat chase a rabbit on top of the snow one day while on the bus, it was like something off Mutual of Omaha Wild Kindom show, that was a while ago :surprised3:. I can still see the location to this day in my mind, maybe I should get some counseling now that we know where the problem lies:laughing:.
Waskely Wabbut.

Saw this setup (on LinkedIn of all places) this morning which removes the drudgery of turning the winch handle:

I made this one years ago,

P1000296-S.jpg

it works perfectly.

SR

I live near a school and butcher my deer in the backyard hanging off the 6x6 clothesline pole. For the past 10 years or so it's been too warm to let them hang so I butcher ASAP when I get home. I bone them out while they are hanging and do the final cutting in the house. As such they aren't hanging there for too long. However, at just the right spot on the road you can see the deer hanging. I've had people try to chastise me for doing it... I ask them if they are done and go back to my task. I haven't had one yet hang around after that.

Saw this setup (on LinkedIn of all places) this morning which removes the drudgery of turning the winch handle:

Squeezing that trigger would add boredom to the task... at least turning the crank slowly makes it feel like you are doing something. 😉

hundreds huh?? WOW!! this lil side yard operation made quick the process..... the grated device is the de-featherer. plucking a bird is not exactly fun. pre-preps did include some time in hot water, as in hand plucking. actually, the entire flock was in hot water!!! lol. demise day but moments away... then to the freezer, pot or grill. the brother of my av flock had picked up about 100! and at $7.00 butchered, they were going fast. overalll, a bit on the raw side, if u will pardon the pun. here is a bit of a foto essay on the subject from couple days back. once those feathers started flying, reminded me of a crew of arborists making chunks... chips, chickendust and a few feathers!! just some country boys at work!

.fresh off the grill...View attachment 1068458
View attachment 1068453View attachment 1068454View attachment 1068455View attachment 1068456
For several years I went in November to help a young couple in the next county on butchering day for their turkeys. (Missed it last season due to surgery.) They have this nifty machine for defeathering--looks like the ancient rotary, open top wringer washing machines. But the inside of the tub is lined with rubber fingers, kinda thumb-size. After dunking each bird in the scald pot, they go into the tub. Flip the switch and as the tub spins the bird tumbles and the rubber fingers mostly pluck the feathers. Only a few feathers remain, and pin feathers of course. It's always a fun day--real work by the time you've been there all day, bloodspattered. But the beer starts flowing in the afternoon. And I like helping those folks. Takes me back to my butchering days in the 1970s. Lord, I processed a lot of meat--hogs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, calves, countless goats, and one pony for dog food. My german shepherd well that winter.

Squeezing that trigger would add boredom to the task... at least turning the crank slowly makes it feel like you are doing something. 😉

If someone was clever they could use an electric motor to turn the winch and wire in a limit switch to stop the motor at the end of travel. A variable speed drive on the motor would be an added refinement.

Back