Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the scope subject... I'm a super cheap arse when it comes to scopes. Too many decently priced options to need to spend big bucks.
I've always bought good scopes, I depended on my rifles, they are tool and they had to be RIGHT, so no junk went to the field with me.

SR

Chilly here, got pants and a long sleeve on for the first time this summer
Cool here too. Went to a car show and had to wear a long sleeve nice when the sun was out but when it got cloudy and a little wind it was cool . I’m sure if it was like this say in February I’d be in shorts :laugh: But in August it’s chilly got to 75

I've always bought good scopes, I depended on my rifles, they are tool and they had to be RIGHT, so no junk went to the field with me.

SR
Expensive scopes don't make you any better of a hunter. I've never seen the point to spend 3x on a scope for what you just paid for a rifle. Be here where 300 yards is a long shot or out at the ranch in Montana where 300 is an average shot my scopes preform just fine. I want the best bang for my buck and that's what I buy. I have friends and family that blow tons of money on optics to come home with the game that I've taken with far cheaper equipment. It's t
Your money spend it how you will, I'm not paying for a name that isn't any better then a scope 1/2 it's cost.

Expensive scopes don't make you any better of a hunter. I've never seen the point to spend 3x on a scope for what you just paid for a rifle. Be here where 300 yards is a long shot or out at the ranch in Montana where 300 is an average shot my scopes preform just fine. I want the best bang for my buck and that's what I buy. I have friends and family that blow tons of money on optics to come home with the game that I've taken with far cheaper equipment. It's t
Your money spend it how you will, I'm not paying for a name that isn't any better then a scope 1/2 it's cost.
If I was spending days afield in big bear country or Africa, you bet your ass I'd invest in quality scopes. But if my $100 Vortex fogs up in the back yard while I'm zeroing in on a rogue gopher, I'm confident I will live to tell the tale.

You are missing the point completely. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was out on a hunt and someone's cheapo scope or binos fogged up or failed in some way. There are NO stores or gunsmiths or out in the bush!!

I can't tell you how many times I spotted something in the dim light and the guy with me couldn't see it through his scope OR the person got a headache from looking through cheapo binos!!

I HATED it when my friend would keep reaching for my binos saying "let me see, let me see!

Take your cheapo scope and put it in the freezer overnight then take in out and put it in a pan of warm water. That's what it's like hunting in the bush on many of my hunts. We will see how good a hunter you are when you can't see through your cheapo scope.

Cheapo scopes are better than they use to be, but they still aren't high quality...

SR

Scrounged some Craigslist stuff this afternoon. Really just went for the magnifying lamp, but picked a few other items too.
The lamp and stand also included 2 extra bulbs. View attachment 1105901
A drill and accessories with ammo can. I dig the art deco drill, but it's probably more a wall hanger than something that will get used.
View attachment 1105902
And a toolbox with wrenches and miscellaneous.
View attachment 1105903
Just to keep it chainsaw related there is even a scrench. Didn't really *need* anything, but a couple items made the whole deal worth it.
Exactly why I stopped my multiple times per day visits to Craigslist… 😉

You are missing the point completely. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was out on a hunt and someone's cheapo scope or binos fogged up or failed in some way. There are NO stores or gunsmiths or out in the bush!!

I can't tell you how many times I spotted something in the dim light and the guy with me couldn't see it through his scope OR the person got a headache from looking through cheapo binos!!

I HATED it when my friend would keep reaching for my binos saying "let me see, let me see!

Take your cheapo scope and put it in the freezer overnight then take in out and put it in a pan of warm water. That's what it's like hunting in the bush on many of my hunts. We will see how good a hunter you are when you can't see through your cheapo scope.

Cheapo scopes are better than they use to be, but they still aren't high quality...

SR
We must have hunted with some of the same people.😉. Also, blowing a hunt that cost you thousands of dollars and days or weeks of time due to poor optics (binoculars and/or scopes) will make not paying the upcharge for good optics seem like a bad decision.

Tesla-Owner-On-A-Trip.jpg

SR

not as nice as the althlon scopes I've recently been getting.
They seem like really good scopes for the money, I was not familiar with them. However, on the Midway USA sight the Vortex Crossfire II (centerfire scopes) has slightly better ratings, but the important thing for me is the Crossfire II has more eye relief. Don't like seeing anyone get magnum eyebrow!

Unfortunately, the price of the Vortex scopes has increased recently.

My 30-06 is not too bad, but the 338-06, 300 Win Mag, and 12-gauge slug gun are all better with more eye relief. I have either Nikon or Vortex Crossfire II scopes on all of them. I got the Nikons (3) for very good prices through Cabelas when Nikon discontinued their hunting scopes. I find the Vortex scopes to be very comparable.

Chilly here, got pants and a long sleeve on for the first time this summer
Bit chilly in house this morning. Ran the furnace for the first time this season just to warm up the house a couple degrees. Already have a small pile of uglies waiting on the patio for the first fire. Per the wx report tonight that first fire may be lit off in a couple days.

Morning fellas

Goat milk and cinnamon cappuccino for this Sunday morning.

Hope all is well for everyone. I also got a new dog finally. He is a Catahoula Leopard. By far he is the smartest dog iv ever owned.

Breed is from Louisiana. Intended for hunting wild hog. Hope he likes snow😂😂😂😂😂😂

Attachments

• 62593CCE-4921-4DBA-BDD0-43969A09D4F5.jpeg
    62593CCE-4921-4DBA-BDD0-43969A09D4F5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0FE72356-19E9-45A7-B586-ABA6535D04B6.jpeg
    0FE72356-19E9-45A7-B586-ABA6535D04B6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F9229ADB-244B-4679-8D96-3C5F671AA479.jpeg
    F9229ADB-244B-4679-8D96-3C5F671AA479.jpeg
    941.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 900E04CF-2A7B-4D7C-AE8B-FFF472773D20.jpeg
    900E04CF-2A7B-4D7C-AE8B-FFF472773D20.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Morning fellas

Goat milk and cinnamon cappuccino for this Sunday morning.

Hope all is well for everyone. I also got a new dog finally. He is a Catahoula Leopard. By far he is the smartest dog iv ever owned.

Breed is from Louisiana. Intended for hunting wild hog. Hope he likes snow😂😂😂😂😂😂
Beauty of a dog!

SR
Scopes are always a big topic. I think it's somewhat regional too. I've never seen a use for them here in Indiana hunting deer. In fact I've lost out on deer because someone talked me in to trying a scope and there just wasn't time to find the deer in the scope before he was gone. A lot of split second shots in this territory.
On the flip side , out in big open country, I can see them being an absolute necessity.
Which one to purchase can be affected by so many things mainly a mans income. I myself live on less than 60,000 dollars a year by choice. That's a longer story involving church ministry etc. Needless to say, I am very careful with how much I spend. Everything I buy has to earn it's keep so to speak.

Others make real good money and that's great. God blessed in that way too. This of course allows for for freedom in spending. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with that either.

The important thing probably is not to look down on anyone for their choices. Never know what might be driving that choice.

Scopes are always a big topic. I think it's somewhat regional too. I've never seen a use for them here in Indiana hunting deer. In fact I've lost out on deer because someone talked me in to trying a scope and there just wasn't time to find the deer in the scope before he was gone. A lot of split second shots in this territory.
On the flip side , out in big open country, I can see them being an absolute necessity.
Which one to purchase can be affected by so many things mainly a mans income. I myself live on less than 60,000 dollars a year by choice. That's a longer story involving church ministry etc. Needless to say, I am very careful with how much I spend. Everything I buy has to earn it's keep so to speak.

Others make real good money and that's great. God blessed in that way too. This of course allows for for freedom in spending. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with that either.

The important thing probably is not to look down on anyone for their choices. Never know what might be driving that choice.
Amen brother. To each his own. Now back to my regular morning business :drinkingcoffee:

Scrounged some Craigslist stuff this afternoon. Really just went for the magnifying lamp, but picked a few other items too.
The lamp and stand also included 2 extra bulbs. View attachment 1105901
A drill and accessories with ammo can. I dig the art deco drill, but it's probably more a wall hanger than something that will get used.
View attachment 1105902
And a toolbox with wrenches and miscellaneous.
View attachment 1105903
Just to keep it chainsaw related there is even a scrench. Didn't really *need* anything, but a couple items made the whole deal worth it.
You never have enough tools.

If I had the eyesight, I would put the sights back on my 22 and forget the scope all together.

On the scope subject... I'm a super cheap arse when it comes to scopes. Too many decently priced options to need to spend big bucks. My 22mag has this cheap Tasco 3-9x40mm scope on it that a friend said was junk. It's my main dirt rat/tree rat/flying rat gun. Hasn't ever lost zero and is plenty clear zoomed in for 100 yard shots in the evening. Have a Vortex Crossfire on my 458 socom, it's been good although not as nice as the althlon scopes I've recently been getting. I have a few nikon scopes as well that are really nice, but not worth what I've paid for them. Only scope I've ever had issues with is a Simmons that was in the mosin nagant. What a pos. Stupid thing moved around from day one, sent it back a few times then ended up buying this cheap pinty brand scope off Amazon for it. Couldn't get better then a 2" @100 yard group. Swapped a known good 3-9x40 nikon on it with the same results. Put the Amazon scope back on it and gave it to my dad. Hated that gun from the first time I shot it, even after having it sporterized, synthetic stock, bedded and floated barrel and added a Timiney drop in trigger group it still shot like crap. Have several other Bushnell scopes that have been decent too.
Mosins will shoot great if you have a proper sized barrel or any one of the Finnish variants. I had a Remington that had a .313 bore. It shot 12" groups all day long. I started hand loading for it using .312 Enfield rounds. It now shoots 2" inch groups at 100 yards. I have others that are tackdrivers. I have a few Tasco 3 x 9's on 22 rifles. I have never had a problem with them. I junked a few Simmons over the years. I had a great scope on my National Match M1A when I had it. It sported a range finding 6 x 20 x 56 with lighted crosshairs. Lack of a 500 yard range to shoot at had me sending it down the road for a nice profit.

Latest posts

Back