Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine the cut round face of a block of wood is a clock face. Lay the block lengthwise so it won't roll & cut through each (or as many as required) clock number towards the centre of the block say, 100-150mm for the full length of the block. Stand the block on end, use the splitter or axe & split around the block from cut to cut. If that isn't enough to finish it off normally, give the block another lot of radial cuts. Far fewer are required because of the reduced block diameter. Sometimes as few as two or three cuts are enough to start splitting a block.
Because of the wastage, I have mainly reserved this technique for large euc corkscrewed wood one + metre in diameter.

Good morning guys

Itā€™s taken a month and a half, but I finally got all the crap in my yard put away last night. Snow is expected this weekend and I didnā€™t want to have to deal with snowy, frozen junk everywhere.

With two of my boys now driving age and living with me almost full time, a lot of motorized stuff appears at my house randomly. Plus I like to collect junk as well.

Iā€™m not gonna show you what the inside of the other buildings look like but at least everything is inside.

IMG_4185.jpegIMG_4186.jpegIMG_4189.jpeg
IMG_4182.jpeg

I was notified of the need for an emergency tree removal on the rail trail late last evening. I went out this morning to take care of it. Upon arrival I assessed the situation. Then I contacted the land trust management and advised them that there were actually two separate trees and that it was a NYS DEC law enforcement matter. We decided to leave those trees as they were until the on-site investigation was conducted. We already know who the responsible parties are... the DEC has had them under active surveillance and this just adds to the case.

Anyhow, since I was out and all geared up I took down some standing dead ash, removed some leaners and hung up branches with the pole saw, and cut up part of a large red oak. The oak, about 24"-26" in the trunk section I cut, came down in the bad ice storm a couple winters ago and we punched a hole through it so the trail was open but I hadn't cleaned it up yet (demands on my time kept me from it). The hard and sizeable oak gave me a legitimate reason to use my 661! After I remove the cut up pieces of oak I'll cut up some more--the hillside leads to a congested mess if I cut too much without removing it. Fortunately all of what I cut is laying at the edge of the rail trail so recovering it will be easy. Following are photos of some of the wood:

View attachment 1122558View attachment 1122559View attachment 1122560View attachment 1122561
Someone cut the two trees down? Are you allowed to keep the firewood or do you have to leave it lay?

Imagine the cut round face of a block of wood is a clock face. Lay the block lengthwise so it won't roll & cut through each (or as many as required) clock number towards the centre of the block say, 100-150mm for the full length of the block. Stand the block on end, use the splitter or axe & split around the block from cut to cut. If that isn't enough to finish it off normally, give the block another lot of radial cuts. Far fewer are required because of the reduced block diameter. Sometimes as few as two or three cuts are enough to start splitting a block.
Because of the wastage, I have mainly reserved this technique for large euc corkscrewed wood one + metre in diameter.
Noodling halfway through at several points on the log?

Good morning guys

Itā€™s taken a month and a half, but I finally got all the crap in my yard put away last night. Snow is expected this weekend and I didnā€™t want to have to deal with snowy, frozen junk everywhere.

With two of my boys now driving age and living with me almost full time, a lot of motorized stuff appears at my house randomly. Plus I like to collect junk as well.

Iā€™m not gonna show you what the inside of the other buildings look like but at least everything is inside.

View attachment 1122607View attachment 1122608View attachment 1122609
View attachment 1122611

I need to see you for a boat motor when I am ready to work on a mid 50's aluminum boat that was my dads. I sold off the motors he had for it. I just couldn't see the future at that time.

OK, Ok, I know you guys like pictures!

First problem with today's milling ... removing the white oak log from between the two gigantic sugar maple logs. Keep in mind, I don't have any tractors or skid steers or any of those other nifty devices that a lot of you guys (who cheat) have! There is just not enough room to mill it there!

So, I came up with a plan, and luckily, just as I needed a second set of hands, my wife came by to harass (I mean check on) me, and I made her slide the tow strap as I lifted the log with my 6' metal bar. Then I hooked that tow strap to another one and hooked that to the ring on the front of my truck. Put it in reverse (4WD low range) and the log came up and over!

Let the milling begin!
@Sawdust Man. See what a real truck can do?:buttkick::laugh:

Someone cut the two trees down? Are you allowed to keep the firewood or do you have to leave it lay?

No... an adjoining landowner is running an illegal dump where tree services are dumping cut up trees and chips. The debris pile, 30+ feet deep, is spilling over onto land trust property. The two live, standing, trees in question were pushed over onto land trust property by the weight of the encroached debris pile. The falling trees damaged a lot of other trees as well as the trail...

Yes, I can take the firewood. Over the years there have been so many dead ash and so much storm damage that the vast majority of the wood is left to "compost in place." A tree service chipped a bunch of the brush a couple years ago but they barely made a dent in it. This is a privately owned public access rail trail. Only a few of us are authorized to bring vehicles on the property... This to limit damage to the trail, dumping, and the risks to trail users. Four wheelers in particular were intentionally tearing up the trail... Arrests and hefty fines imposed by local magistrates slowed that down! Chainsaw volunteers are now required to have verifiable training... My cutting partner and I have Game of Logging training. Previously some of the chainsaw volunteers were not trained. The land steward manager and I were working with one of them to clear a tangled mess of, as I recall, 7 trees. I cut up most of it with my MS261 and then it was time for a bigger saw. I needed a break so we let the other guy use his Husky (don't recall the model but it was around 60-65 CC as I recall). We were horrified to watch him... no PPE and he clearly had no understanding of compression and tension resulting in the heavily stressed trunks splitting while he was cutting. The icing on the cake was when he backed over his chainsaw with his compact tractor. That was the end of untrained volunteers!

People regularly report me to the land trust and police... not a bad thing. šŸ˜‰ I do wish that they could read however... I put magnetic land trust signs on the doors and back of the vehicle. šŸ¤Ŗ

Who knew that cutting veneer would be so difficult... I've been tripping over this pile of red oak veneer in my shop for at least 15 years. It is past the time to get rid of it! Each sheet is about 14"-15" wide and 10' long. The pile was about 13" thick. I tried the reciprocating saw and that was a disaster... it simply ripped the veneer apart length wise. I figured I'd try the 170. It was still amazingly difficult to cut... To a lessor degree I still have the splitting problem but it will cut... slowly. It would take forever to clamp thin piles together with cauls and cut it with the circular saw so I didn't even try that... Maybe the 661 with an RS chain would do the trick? šŸ˜‰

IMG_6205.gif

been there more than just a few times! used to live in Pullman. in fact, for a spell we lived on on a dirt road in a farmhouse. fun years. the dirt road was called: The Old Road To Moscow... before paved one was open...
That is now "old Moscow road" Only been down it a couple times. This whole area is fascinating, steep hills that looke like sand dunes and really are 'dirt dunes' Wind blown dirt from the Central area blown into dues after the glaciers retreated, only a few miles to the middle of channeled scablands, Deep canyons, big rivers, mouintains not far away. I love it.

Seems like a long way to go...

:laugh:

šŸ¤”

31 miles one way, better than the next real dealer which is right at 50 miles. That hurts considering the price of gas. I have a JKohn Deere dealer 1/4 mile down the road who also has a Stihl section. Unfortunately it is a big ag dealer ship and chainsaw work comes lasst in priority

31 miles one way, better than the next real dealer which is right at 50 miles. That hurts considering the price of gas. I have a JKohn Deere dealer 1/4 mile down the road who also has a Stihl section. Unfortunately it is a big ag dealer ship and chainsaw work comes lasst in priority

Okay, I am a bit slow today but I finally got that.

Who knew that cutting veneer would be so difficult... I've been tripping over this pile of red oak veneer in my shop for at least 15 years. It is past the time to get rid of it! Each sheet is about 14"-15" wide and 10' long. The pile was about 13" thick. I tried the reciprocating saw and that was a disaster... it simply ripped the veneer apart length wise. I figured I'd try the 170. It was still amazingly difficult to cut... To a lessor degree I still have the splitting problem but it will cut... slowly. It would take forever to clamp thin piles together with cauls and cut it with the circular saw so I didn't even try that... Maybe the 661 with an RS chain would do the trick? šŸ˜‰

View attachment 1122725
Put a ratchet strap on it tight as can be and cut as close to it as you can would be my best guess.

Latest posts

Back