Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1970 1/2 flavor of the 240. My brother bought in the 70s...
Hey, does that mean I won the internet today:laughing:.
Whatever the prize is give it to Mike, mine was just a lucky guess :).
Does he drive it at all.
I've only had one 70', a 2dr impala, rare to see one. I did see a 2dr 68 today though.
260 or 240 ... I do older!!!! I remember well when the 240s were a real hot ticket!
I don't remember that at all, probably because they weren't real big here(and I'm a little younger). Here in Michigan, we were dominated by the big three. Had they been bigger here, I could see myself getting into them, neat rides for sure. I've helped a buddy buy the 280s.

Worked on the "new" Hooskies I picked up the other day. All three run. The 242 runs really well. Pretty clean saw, other than the top cover is a little busted up. It was filthy, and still needs more WD40 and air. But, she runs strong. I think I might try to find another top cover for her and use it for a bit. It's a 300th anniversary model (89, right?), so finding another cover with that sticker will be tough.

The 246 seems to have some carb issues. Runs great then bogs down. All three saws had OLD gas in them. I loaded them up with 100LL mixed 40:1, and ran them for a bit to get that fuel into everything. Will let them sit and play with them again this weekend.

The 254 was the cleanest of the group. Is only missing one screw for the pull/start cover, which they used a hex head screw instead. Will need to scrounge one of those up, or hit the hardware store. It's might be cleaner an my other examples.

Will get some pics this weekend maybe. The 246 will likely go up for sale once I get it cleaned up and in good working order. Same for the 242 if I don't fall in love with it. I still miss my 346 that @chipper1 snagged from me. Not sure ifI like it or the MS241 better.

Excited to get firewood season started. I haven't cut any wood in a long time. Still have plenty for winter, but my rick is getting low...
Nice little batch of 2 series 👌.
I haven't ran my 242 in a couple months or so, last winter I ran quite a few tanks thru it.
I like that 346, but I also like the 241. I like the 346 for firewood and the 241 for jobs. I need to get an 18 for the 241, it's ported, so it could handle that, especially since there's no need to bury the bar when I have other capable saws.
I need to get splitting, my round pile is getting big, and it ain't gonna split itself. But I'm trying to stay focused on the barn, I need to get it dried in before winter. We're already getting temps in the 30s and upper 20s, won't be long...

Hey, does that mean I won the internet today:laughing:.
Whatever the prize is give it to Mike, mine was just a lucky guess :).
Does he drive it at all.
I've only had one 70', a 2dr impala, rare to see one. I did see a 2dr 68 today though.

I don't remember that at all, probably because they weren't real big here(and I'm a little younger). Here in Michigan, we were dominated by the big three. Had they been bigger here, I could see myself getting into them, neat rides for sure. I've helped a buddy buy the 280s.
Both my younger brothers passed away... sepsis and a URI got them. The car is my father's now... hasn't been run in years.

What's the rear gear lube look like. I'd check that and the transfer case fluid too.
Doesn't sound like u-joints.
Checked gear lube, no metal, looked good. Transfer case is good also. Changed one u joint that was bad and carrier bearing, didn’t make any difference.
Thanks anyway.
Trading it for a dodge, lol. Just kidding but the one my son drives for his mail route has been pretty impressive. 08 gasser with 300,000 miles on roads worse than most logging roads I drive on, one transmission, 2 heater cores, and I think 2 u joints, that’s about it other than spark plugs and brakes. One u joint replaced recently was original one, still runs great.

Tried to catch up here... noticed lots of aches and pains, and surgery stuff... I imagine this is nursing home talk but we aren't in a nursing home! 😉 That said, today may be another step in that direction for me--tearing off a two layer roof. Ugh. It's been about 25 years since I did a roof... Today reminded me of why. 😉

My son was using my brother's old JD tractor to move materials around. Anyone ever see one like this? Anybody recognize the nose poking out in the background?

View attachment 1126546
I just had a roof torn off and put on. I knew I wouldn't be able to physically do it myself. I did have some roof damage that I repaired myself. Rebuilt the fireplace chase and roof sheathing in the effective area. When I was younger, I put on my original roof myself, hefting each bundle up the ladder by hand. Nailed down with a hammer not a gun. Dad helped a little too. I helped put on a couple of other roofs. Would not enjoy that as a profession.

Nice load James.
I fixed the first paragraph so you sound more like a hard core scrounger :happy: .
I've been working on the 'groundhog' wood rack and fixing/staining the house this Summer so I haven't cut any firewood in a while. I resisted going out to the log yard, but I did go out from time to time watching the pile grow. Then I noticed this last pile was dropped off. All in my size range. So I caved in and pulled out the saw. Plus I needed a fix of chainsaw fumes to kinda settle me down. :laugh:

I have to get as much as I can as fast as I can, because you never know when it'll guess pushed onto the burn pile and burned. So I went after it hard (for me). Never expected to loose a load+ to that donkey I mentioned before. Plus he made a mess out of the area. He drug brush blocking my easiest exit from the log yard. I had to wiggle my truck through the piles of brush and put some decent scratches on my truck. Anyone try one of those scratch repair pastes that work?

My memory is mostly absent. I can't recall if I posted this already. Got a good rain a couple days last week so I am in the "sit on my rear" season. The bottom that I am cutting in is now to wet to get in. I have 8-10 cord willow to split/pile and will do a small trailer load or two a day to drag it out. Probably run out of stuff to do before spring comes.

You could spend that 'sitting on your rear' time learning how to post pics... :innocent:

I plan to add flaps soon. She gets hosed with Fluidfilm when I find time and once a year she gets a heavy dose of used motor oil mixed with bar oil by my hot oil guy. Not as much of a fan of the used oil, but my old hot oil guy retired and I have to deal with whom I can. The old guy used to use new oil mixed with STP, then switched to straight bar oil. Both worked really well.

But, the new guy really hoses her down, so it works great at keeping the rust away.
Rust is a non issue here as it sleeps all winter in a heated garage. Inside now actually with a battery maintainer on it, all serviced and snoozing. This year I added a Racor fuel polishing filter as well as a coolant filter and the coolant filter has the Potassium Permagnate block in it for timed release of the DCA4 that is required by Fords and Navistar tor the 7.3 diesel. Better than adding the liquid DCA4 and checking the PH of the coolant at every oil change.. Pretty easy additions too.

I need to change out the headlights (lenses, to ones that don't get yellow with age, 1A Auto has them in DIY kits), always something with an old truck. Need to replace the track rod bushings on my Focus RS Turbo as well. 1A auto to the rescue on that as well.

I like 'oiling' the 350 as well as my wife's new off lease Burb, but boy is that stuff messy. Gotta do it on the gravel. On the cement it's a clean up disaster. The Focus RS got some this year as well. Really don't have a full frame, it's 'Monocoque which is a nice name for Unibody so all it got was the front frame stubs and some under the hood stuff that was showing some rust. The suspension is all aluminum die castings and I didn't want to 'cover that up' as it's pretty. I really need to buy new slotted and venter rotors for it that are coated to prevent rust as the OEM ones look like hell with the painted glossy Brembo 4 piston brake calipers. Probably should pull the Girling calipers on the 350 and bead blast them and epoxy paint them as well because with the forged Alcoa wheels, you can see them plainly when the wheels rotate. I did the disc brakes on the back axle as well so it has 4 wheel discs now. Did that years ago. 4 wheel discs stop 100% better than the drum brakes that were on the back OEM. Was Fords 'worse' idea far as I'm concerned. Getting stopped even with high friction shoes on the back was always a chore. Not since however.

Far as my ongoing cancer is concerned, I deal with it, it's a matter of living and dying and I choose the former as long as I can. Chemo for me has always had less than pleasant side effects. It's what I term 'rat poison', chemicals to kill the cancer cells also kills good cells which causes the neuropathy, but everything has 'work arounds' and I have a ton of experience, working around it.. Life goes on until it don't and then you all get to look down from Heaven and observe those frail and stupid humans doing stupid stull and justifying it in their tainted minds. Well, hopefully you all get to up. I imagine some will go down to where it's hot and nasty...lol Hope I've made peace with the Lord. I have done some things I'm ashamed of, we all do but hopefully, the good has outweighed the bad....

No, I'm not giving away my 075 or 090. When I pass, I'll have my wife put them on here for cheap, as well as the rest of the saws including my favorite 028 and the newer Echo's. All have extra chains (sharp of course) and extra bars but you pay the shipping...lol, and all have been 'breathed' on slightly. I really dislike Stihl's chocked up mufflers and I do like my Dremel...

The did the injection it breaks up the scar tissue . They gave me the injection and had me come back the next then they bent the ever living boop out of my fingers snapping the scar tissue it was not a pleasant experience . Which worked for a while but in 6 months I was no better than before . Decided surgery was the best option .
Thank you sir.

Nice stove, I need to refinish the 2 bio mass ones I have. Finish is getting a little ratty. Where did you get the gloss black stove paint? All I can find is flat black and gloss would look a ton better? Saw, not so much but then I don't do Husky's I do own a Husky made S&W branded 308 long gun that I bought an estate sale unused a few years back. Replaced the gritty trigger with a Timney and accurized it but I rarely shoot it, The wood Monte-Carlo stock, don't want to bugger it up as it's really a collectable firearm, not a working sport rifle. Here it is plus a target at 420 yards loading Bergers in custom built Norma brass and jumped for accuracy. The scope needs adjusted for zero on the bull yet but you get the idea anyway... It's a fine rifle btw. Not bad for a 7.62 x 54 on my private range btw.

Attachments

• IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    491.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    448.8 KB · Views: 0
Checked gear lube, no metal, looked good. Transfer case is good also. Changed one u joint that was bad and carrier bearing, didn’t make any difference.
Thanks anyway.
Trading it for a dodge, lol. Just kidding but the one my son drives for his mail route has been pretty impressive. 08 gasser with 300,000 miles on roads worse than most logging roads I drive on, one transmission, 2 heater cores, and I think 2 u joints, that’s about it other than spark plugs and brakes. One u joint replaced recently was original one, still runs great.
Well, I guess you'll have to run it til you let the smoke out of it lol.
What yr/ model/ engine does he have.

Nice stove, I need to refinish the 2 bio mass ones I have. Finish is getting a little ratty. Where did you get the gloss black stove paint? All I can find is flat black and gloss would look a ton better? Saw, not so much but then I don't do Husky's I do own a Husky made S&W branded 308 long gun that I bought an estate sale unused a few years back. Replaced the gritty trigger with a Timney and accurized it but I rarely shoot it, The wood Monte-Carlo stock, don't want to bugger it up as it's really a collectable firearm, not a working sport rifle. Here it is plus a target at 420 yards loading Bergers in custom built Norma brass and jumped for accuracy. The scope needs adjusted for zero on the bull yet but you get the idea anyway... It's a fine rifle btw. Not bad for a 7.62 x 54 on my private range btw.
Yea , It’s been a good stove , can put a 24” log in , but I cut 18 “ easy to handle, 👍

1970 1/2 flavor of the 240. My brother bought in the 70s...
It was one of those cars that transformed Americans into worrying about handling, along with the Z-28 and Boss 302s, etc. Before that, it was all about the 1/4 mile!

(Cobras and Porches were just too expensive).

Back