Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try fluid film. Lasts much longer than WD-40 for anti-corrosion.

That said, I like to use a little WD-40 inside the gun barrel after I clean it, then run a few patches to dry it up. Keeps the moisture out of your barrel, and your gun will shoot just fine with the first shot. Everything has its purpose!

I've also found that the Hornady One-Shot is both very easy to use and works well for cleaning the barrel. I spent a lot less time cleaning barrels this year, and they have been shooting just great! I generally just spray a little in the barrel, run a few patches, then spray the WD-40 in the barrel and run a few patches. Much easier than what I used to do.
Fluid Film looks a lot more appropriate for my intended use than WD-40...

The only time I use WD-40 on guns is as a solvent to flush debris out of revolver actions (side plate off) or to dry out a gun that has gotten wet. I still use Hoppe's solvent for cleaning smokeless guns... though I've got other stuff for removing wad crude and JB and brass screens for removing leading in handguns. Sometimes I use Breakfree. For black powder I use Ballistol... this was recommended to me by a former co-worker and longest serving master of the gunsmith shop at Colonial Williamsburg. It almost makes cleaning the long rifle fun it works so well! I use either straight Hoppe's gun oil or the same with some liquid silicone added for the exterior and bore... though if it's hunting season I leave the bore damp with either Hoppe's or Breakfree and then wipe it out with dry patches to leave the bore rather dry. This is where I landed after a half century plus of gun cleaning and it has worked for me. Note that gun grease is used for lubing things like SxS and OU bearing surfaces and some bearing surfaces in my target pistols... I lube very sparingly in very cold weather.

When you cut down branches or trees to clear your shooting lanes, you will often notice the tops of the trees get eaten by the deer. It is all about "access"!
I've had deer browsing the top of a maple tree while I was bucking the butt end! An arborist associate has had the same thing happen. I also had them browsing the brush pile as I was adding to it. When I got close they'd step back a bit but return as I walked away. Why such behavior? I assume it was because the habitat was so over browsed that the chance to have fresh greens was too much of a temptation.

I've had deer browsing the top of a maple tree while I was bucking the butt end! An arborist associate has had the same thing happen. I also had them browsing the brush pile as I was adding to it. When I got close they'd step back a bit but return as I walked away. Why such behavior? I assume it was because the habitat was so over browsed that the chance to have fresh greens was too much of a temptation.

I cut a lot of Willow. Cows will come at a full run to get to the leaves even though they have been feeding in knee deep green grass.

Scrounge of the century!! The guy who rents the pasture where I am cutting the willow bush told me he has some logs I can have. I drove out to look at them today. My God!!!! Looks like almost 1/2 acre covered in logs neatly lined up in rows, single layer. . Eyeball says most around a 20" diameter but I was looking at them from a 100ft away. My experience says eyeball size from a distance is always much much smaller than up close. No brush to clean up, just drive up, buck/load and gone. He wasn't home so I don't know what the species is. Not cottonwood which I don't want.

I can't work them until spring or I'd be putting ruts in his field and my wood yard.

We are really going to have to solve this pic posting problem of yours! :yes:

This year I've been buying outdoor power equipment intended to last the rest of my life... mostly so I NEVER have to own battery powered stuff! I got the MS661 last spring, a Ferris commercial mower in October and an Ariens Platinum SHO snow blower today. Historically I've sprayed down my wheeled equipment (e.g., mowers, splitter, blower, tiller) with WD-40 to fend off corrosion in the off season... anti-seize, grease and oil are used where appropriate. I'm wondering if there is something better these days for use as an overall corrosion inhibitor (short of cosmoline)? I see WD-40 has a corrosion spray now... anything else out there that has worked well for you?

Birchwood Casey 'Sheath' which is now called 'Barricade' I think. Says it's for firearms but will protect any steel items. Far superior to WD-40 as a rust prevention treatment, but it isn't a lubricant.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-4-5-ounce-spout-can.html
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-10-fl-oz-aerosol.html
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-take-alongs-25-wipes.html
Screenshot_20231208-064032_kindlephoto-45415097.png

I'm still doing a cup of wood pellets and a shot of lamp oil or alcohol. Have used pine cones. Works great if the wood is good and dry.
I use paper grocery bags. It works just about everytime. If it is a hard start to get going I will put in a few fire sticks.

Birchwood Casey 'Sheath' which is now called 'Barricade' I think. Says it's for firearms but will protect any steel items. Far superior to WD-40 as a rust prevention treatment, but it isn't a lubricant.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-4-5-ounce-spout-can.html
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-10-fl-oz-aerosol.html
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/products/barricade-rust-protection-take-alongs-25-wipes.html
That would probably work good. It doesn't seem to be available in gallons...?? Gallons is the only way I've purchased WD-40 for at least a couple decades due to the volume used. While proof reading this it occurred to me that I do a LOT of maintenance/repairs on a lot of stuff. 😐 That keeps me off the streets and out of the bars... 😉

I've only commented when something is "blatantly" false, and even then, I attempt to start out by just trying to correct what's false even though it many times does lead to an argument.

I probably shouldn't have answered this one, as it's obvious you are just trying to start trouble.

SR
Starting trouble? Lol.

I was joking around with a dash of intended sarcasm.

Lighten up, Francis.

Had a some great scrounges this summer/fall
Maple, white birch, ash, ironwood, and red oak.
Ended up with about 12 face cord all split with my 6# log splitter circled in red and had a little weasle come visit a few times for support. I do have an actual log splitter but prefer throwing a maul unless absolutely necessary
I was able to get it CSS, cleaned up and covered just days before the snow came.
What a great feeling to be this far ahead in firewood stock again
20230813_182400.jpg
20230825_182119.jpg
20230918_185603.jpg
20231028_112711.jpg

Attachments

• 20231114_131023.jpg
    20231114_131023.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
When you cut down branches or trees to clear your shooting lanes, you will often notice the tops of the trees get eaten by the deer. It is all about "access"!
Truth.
I was speaking specifically of mature western evergreen forests.....there are always more deer in areas where logging is practiced.

That would probably work good. It doesn't seem to be available in gallons...?? Gallons is the only way I've purchased WD-40 for at least a couple decades due to the volume used. While proof reading this it occurred to me that I do a LOT of maintenance/repairs on a lot of stuff. 😐 That keeps me off the streets and out of the bars... 😉

Warning: I like WD-40 inside the gun barrel, but DO NOT use it on your actions. In very cold weather it will freeze. I had it happen to my Remington 870.

WD-40 loves to pick up powder residue and whatever dirt you’re hunting in as well!

WD-40 NEVER touches any of my guns

They make specific oils for that

As for coating my equipment, I like BG Inforce. Leaves a waxy coating

https://www.amazon.com/Smilyeez-BG-...MI6sbd8I-AgwMVX0tHAR2jdANvEAQYAiABEgIVovD_BwE
Helps, I get it for free at work….
I know this is an other stuff thread too. But a frigging OIL THREAD! :crazy2: :laughing:

Back