Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother in-law makes stuff with Kraut

My other three brother in-laws all love that stuff

But me, I scrape it off my food

That stuff is NASTY!!!!

They tease that if it has mozzarella or parmesan I’d be gobbling it up, uhhhhh yeah…..
Aw come on.... it's good for your gizzard.

Real men eat their kraut.... least wise that's what my grandpa always said.😉

We don't can ours....as in no heat is used....she just chops it up and then pounds it with a wood stomper like you'd use in a meat grinder, then adds salt & water, put it in canning jars & stick it on a shelf where it's below 65° ish (traditional root cellar is best) and let it stand a couple weeks and it's good to go.
It's how people have made / preserved kraut for thousands years.
Back on the farm we did the crock and rock method, then move to using 5 gallon buckets with a "s" vent (think drain trap, with water in it.) Had very little waste with the sealed buckets and "s" vent. Still the usual method, cut the cabbage, stomp, add salt. After it cured we'd can it. No heat, just taking it out of the buckets and putting it into quart jars and screw the lid on. At the farm it went in the cold cellar. Here at my house it would get stored under the stairs. It's always pretty cool down there. We did try freezing some at one point, but it turned to mush when it was thawed for some reason. Good times, hopefully when the kids get a bit older we can start doing some of those things again. I honestly don't know how my Nan and Pop or mom and dad did it.

Hitting the farm tomorrow, praying the bigger buck comes by

Hopefully the last few days of not going has taken some of the pressure off them.

It’s odd hunting there, sometimes they come out like clock work. Then they may go days without popping out.

Praying they’re out!!

This hapoend this morning. Kinda turned into a cumulative effort. I had to be at work by 2:00, so needed to leave the wood by 12:00. Dad and my brothers decided to push the woods at 9:00. They kicked this guy out. My brother took a shot at him, that set him off running. Came down along the tree line near the field. I thought Joe hit him, so lined up in a "clear" spot. Shot at him, seen the brush and crap fly, so I wanst certain I hit him. My cousin was in the stand about 100 yards behind me and to my right. He shot... 4 times till the deer hit the ground. Got out of my stand and went over to help him. 5 holes in him. I hit a bit low and just behind the lungs. My cousin did a pretty good job of taking the lungs and heart out. He never stopped running till he fell over. I was Thankful my cousin got him down. He tagged him and we got the deer drug out. Dad's buddy got a decent sized coyote on the way out of the woods too. Left that stinky mess lay there. It was good morning. Sucks I had to leave early to go to work.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 0
Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕
Dang my wife cooks the loin in those old dark blue roasting pan with lid. She add carrots onions and potatoes. Maybe some water or broth and on low heat maybe 325 for 2 hrs or so. I don't mind tough meat though as I like jerky alot

I'm a bit of a kraut snobb, been spoiled by homemade for too many years. Unfortunately, we haven't had/made the time to make any in the past few years. (Young kids, work schedule (s) suck) When we canned it, I'd be stuffing my face with it all day. Just love it. Used to do 5 gallons with hot peppers mixed in too, fabulous on sausage or burgers.
Since we haven't been making it, I tried about every different brand the local stores have and though silver floss was an acceptable kraut for what it cost. We have a little Amish/Mennonite store where they sell home made, but it's 3-4x the cost of the store bought stuff.
Stopped at our local meat market yesterday. They make homemade kraut. $4.50 quart. I like the silver floss in the jars better than in cans. Good job tag teaming the buck . Nice one. And this at the meat market.
20231208_081456.jpg

Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕
My wife uses a crock pot. She fills it beef broth and let's it cook for hours. Then she will add in potato, onions and carrots.

Stopped at our local meat market yesterday. They make homemade kraut. $4.50 quart. I like the silver floss in the jars better than in cans. Good job tag teaming the buck . Nice one. And this at the meat market.
View attachment 1134168
That's not a bad price. I agree on the glass jar, doesn't taste like plastic. And, yeah he was too nice to let run off.

Back