Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕
I have several cast dutch ovens, but I haven't done a pork roast.😥 My wife likes to make pulled pork in the crock pot.... she just puts a bottle of good beer in with a pork roast and lets it cook for 4 to 6 hours. When its "falling apart" tender, you just shred it and serve with your favorite barbeque sauces!

On call at work tonight, been a slow night. I brought the neo-tech 853 (534xp clone, junk.) With me to finish your fixing the dismal factory ports and get back together. Managed to finish it up, and now I'm back to waiting for calls to come in... bored out of my mind.

Well, the farm came through again for the nephew. Wish I could say it was a one and done like Uncle Mike’s deer, but it wasn’t. The first shot missed the deer, second hit him and sent him scrambling for the wood line. After tracking an iffy blood trail, we found him bedded down and finished him off. The first two shots were probably 220-250 yards. But he should have made it count.

Last year with my beloved pre64 model 70 in 30-06 I witnessed this boy make two great shots over 200

Not so tonight….IMG_5186.jpeg

Well, the farm came through again for the nephew. Wish I could say it was a one and done like Uncle Mike’s deer, but it wasn’t. The first shot missed the deer, second hit him and sent him scrambling for the wood line. After tracking an iffy blood trail, we found him bedded down and finished him off. The first two shots were probably 220-250 yards. But he should have made it count.

Last year with my beloved pre64 model 70 in 30-06 I witnessed this boy make two great shots over 200

Not so tonight….View attachment 1134399
At least he got it, and that's the important part.

Fell a couple nice firewood sticks this evening. I'm hoping to get at least five cord out of these two Spruce snags. Possibly six. I found a spool of barb wire at the base of the bigger snag as I was clearing a work space and egress routes. It was just barely visible above the surface. Good thing I found it before it possibly got wrapped up in the skidsteer tracks! I shall log this wood tomorrow morning.
20231209_161030.jpg

That's the spool of barb wire on the smaller stump.
20231209_155725.jpg

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware!👍

Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕
Liquid, low heat, and time are your friends.

I’ll tell you how I do a pork roast to do pulled pork. If you want chunked pork you would just pull it a little bit earlier so it doesn’t quite fall apart.

The last pork butt I did in a Dutch oven was rubbed down with liquid smoke and then season the hell out of it with Cajun seasoning. Then I put it in my Dutch oven with a can of root beer. Cooked and covered at 300° for four hours. I checked it after three and 3 1/2 with the thermometer and it was just not quite ready. You want the very internal to be at least 203° to pull very nicely.

It’s also important to let it set for at least a half an hour, if not quite a bit more after you pull it off the heat so I can start to reabsorb some of the liquid.

You could also use pretty much any type of soda, such as cola, citrus, root beer, or Doctor. Also lighter body beers work very well, especially the summer ones that have citrus in them.

PA Dutch thing but we just dump a big can or 2 of sauerkraut in it and cook on 325* for a couple of hours with a lid on. We use an old enamelware roasting pan. Comes out falling apart and moist.
One of my very favorite pork recipes I’ve ever done was using the (red meat) pork steaks, Kraut, sliced apples, and a little bit of apple juice to keep things moist then slow, cook in a Dutch oven for several hours. Very flavorful, and very tender.

As much as I love Kraut now, I hated it equally when I was a kid. Even the smell of it would make me nauseous.

I don’t know if you guys remember when Hardees used to have that burger with Kraut on it but one time I ordered a regular Frisco burger and they put Kraut on it and I just about barfed in my mom‘s car.

This hapoend this morning. Kinda turned into a cumulative effort. I had to be at work by 2:00, so needed to leave the wood by 12:00. Dad and my brothers decided to push the woods at 9:00. They kicked this guy out. My brother took a shot at him, that set him off running. Came down along the tree line near the field. I thought Joe hit him, so lined up in a "clear" spot. Shot at him, seen the brush and crap fly, so I wanst certain I hit him. My cousin was in the stand about 100 yards behind me and to my right. He shot... 4 times till the deer hit the ground. Got out of my stand and went over to help him. 5 holes in him. I hit a bit low and just behind the lungs. My cousin did a pretty good job of taking the lungs and heart out. He never stopped running till he fell over. I was Thankful my cousin got him down. He tagged him and we got the deer drug out. Dad's buddy got a decent sized coyote on the way out of the woods too. Left that stinky mess lay there. It was good morning. Sucks I had to leave early to go to work.
Real nice. Way to go.

Sorry for going all BL on this page…. Would have used multi-quote if I had known that was going to be so much good content to comment on.

First thing in response to the sauerkraut. We have a couple good local makers who do a really really good job. To me the most simple recipe is the best because some places add vinegar (I’m not sure why) and that makes it is very sour and too tart. From what I know; cabbage, salt, water, and time in a crock is all that it’s really required. Our local meat market also does a really good job although it’s not quite as good as the homemade farmers market stuff.

As far as store-bought, that Cleveland brand stuff in the little black bag is by far the best. They make a spicy one called Gnar Gnar and then also a garlic one in addition to a couple of others.

Not much new over here otherwise. Busy week of work. I pick up my truck with new to me plow installed tomorrow.

I am coaching my daughters fifth grade basketball team. We had our first games today. Our team which had never played a game before ended up having to face the top two teams in the district from last year. We did lose both games, but really gave them a challenge. Last year when our girls were on another team, they beat us by 30 to 40 points every time. So I’d say we did very very well with the hand we were dealt. We got about 3/4 inch of snow here with a bunch of freezing rain today which has made things a big mess. But it’s winter in this winter has been very mild so far.

Carry on, gentleman

Don't apologize for posting SVK, we like it!

Congrats to everyone on their deer! No matter if you are old or young, it is a great feeling!

We saw two fox (minutes apart) on the lot next to us this morning. Many folks think there is a den on the lot (only 100 X 150') across the street. Don't see them every day, but we do see them regularly. (sometimes going right down the street in the middle of the day when no one is around).

Back