Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fell a couple nice firewood sticks this evening. I'm hoping to get at least five cord out of these two Spruce snags. Possibly six. I found a spool of barb wire at the base of the bigger snag as I was clearing a work space and egress routes. It was just barely visible above the surface. Good thing I found it before it possibly got wrapped up in the skidsteer tracks! I shall log this wood tomorrow morning.
View attachment 1134408

That's the spool of barb wire on the smaller stump.
View attachment 1134409

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware!👍
5 cord out of 2 trees? I'd be done with that.

On call at work tonight, been a slow night. I brought the neo-tech 853 (534xp clone, junk.) With me to finish your fixing the dismal factory ports and get back together. Managed to finish it up, and now I'm back to waiting for calls to come in... bored out of my mind.
On Call? What is your current profession?

It will be coming out of retirement to haul a few OVERLOADS soon! 👍
Heck yea! Include me in the post. I've been stretched pretty thin lately. I'll see the alert on my phone. I'll be cutting wood here after Jan 1st with my old Remingtons. I should have some action for the thread then. And I got this monster I'm trying to convince my dad on lol IMG_20221204_115754934_HDR.jpgIMG_20221204_115800435_HDR.jpgIMG_20221204_175307.jpg

Some R&R , Sedona AZ amazing landscape

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpeg
    IMG_2328.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2319.jpeg
    IMG_2319.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9517.jpeg
    IMG_9517.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9541.jpeg
    IMG_9541.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9542.jpeg
    IMG_9542.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9548.jpeg
    IMG_9548.jpeg
    927.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9569.jpeg
    IMG_9569.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9582.jpeg
    IMG_9582.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9571.jpeg
    IMG_9571.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Think I found my wood supply for next year and the year after

My pal that owns the farm, he wants an area cleared

Has some standing dead and fallen over dead (next year) and a bit of living (2 years)

Hmmmm, I think I know this guy with more saws than the local store…

I plan on having him cut and me haul…

Maybe I’ll be smart and bring my BIL 6 way splitter there and just do it all there some I only bring home splits

Think I found my wood supply for next year and the year after

My pal that owns the farm, he wants an area cleared

Has some standing dead and fallen over dead (next year) and a bit of living (2 years)

Hmmmm, I think I know this guy with more saws than the local store…

I plan on having him cut and me haul…

Maybe I’ll be smart and bring my BIL 6 way splitter there and just do it all there some I only bring home splits
Think I know that guy to , Lol 😆

Dang my wife cooks the loin in those old dark blue roasting pan with lid. She add carrots onions and potatoes. Maybe some water or broth and on low heat maybe 325 for 2 hrs or so. I don't mind tough meat though as I like jerky alot
Same as a beef brisket. Low and slow. I don't have a big dutch oven. I put a pork shoulder in a 9x13 cake pan, cover with foil. Put it in the oven (fat side up) at 250 about 10 or 12 at night. Around 6 am the house smells like roast pork... I take it out after 8 hours or so. The meat falls off the bone. juicy and fork tender. I generally let it cool some, then pull it apart for pulled pork. But you can easily slice off slices. add onions if you want, taters, onions and carrots, etc. The shoulders are often $1 to 1.50 / lb on sale around here. Hard to beat! Same for bambi roast.

The wife and I took 3 grandkids on a local hike yesterday with a view of Putnam Lake. It was about 2 miles each way.

Then we went out for dinner I we brought them to a great place for burgers ... and they raved about it! It is not a big place (looks like a refurbished house), with Ox yokes and horse bridals hanging from the walls. The burgers are the best around! The wife and I go there regularly, but the kids had never been there before and really appreciated it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_144604666_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_144604666_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231209_150007668_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_150007668_HDR.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231209_150100760_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_150100760_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231209_151416870_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231209_151416870_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
The wife and I took 3 grandkids on a local hike yesterday with a view of Putnam Lake. It was about 2 miles each way.

Then we went out for dinner I we brought them to a great place for burgers ... and they raved about it! It is not a big place (looks like a refurbished house), with Ox yokes and horse bridals hanging from the walls. The burgers are the best around! The wife and I go there regularly, but the kids had never been there before and really appreciated it.
There’s a place in Oneonta. I think it’s called “The Farmhouse” which is the same style restaurant. Fantastic food.

Wait, let me amend that ... I think I'll bring my Uncle to help with the cutting, and I'll bring the 6 way splitter AND A COUPLE OF NEPHEWS to help with the splitting!

Hopefully, he can split wood straighter than he shoots!
I love the endless ribbing you guys give each other. Matt likes husky and you like stihl. You drive ford and he works at a GM dealer.

Yea, lots of ironies, but we both like Ruger and Winchester!!!

My Dad did not hunt, but his brother loved it (as I do) and Matt's dad just comes up for opening WE for the comradery, but Matt and I are avid hunters.

A lot of my friends had bowties or Mopars, would have been a bit boring if everyone had the same stuff. Matt's dad and I were the Ford Guys! It was a lot harder to get performance parts for Fords, and you had to know your stuff! A 351 Windsor is totally different than a 351 Cleveland, and the 429 was a totally different engine than the 427/428 etc FE Ford motor. A lot of mechanics got screwed up working on Fords.

When I put the 427 motor in the Mustang I had to buy 428 motor mounts and modify one of them. To accommodate the side oiler block I had to cut a corner off and drill and new hole. The dealer just told me I could not put that engine in that car ... but I didn't listen!

Ford never put a 427 in the Mustang (other than one or two experimental cars), and the 427 they briefly put in the Cougar ran hydraulic lifters, so it was not a side oiler block. It was also a PITA to put a solid lifter cam in a FE Ford motor, as they had shaft mounted rocker arms. The adjustment screws were going up and down as you are trying to adjust them with a feeler gauge! The fun I had!!!

Today I'm trying the kraut/pork roast recipe the PA guys recommended.
I did poke a knife into it in a bunch of places and stuff in slices of fresh garlic....hopefully that's okay.
Will get back later with a chewability report.
Thanks for all the pointers guys, much appreciated.
Now I've got lots of things to try, and more importantly....hope!

There is a 5lb shoulder roast hiding under there....
20231210_105206.jpg

Heck yea! Include me in the post. I've been stretched pretty thin lately. I'll see the alert on my phone. I'll be cutting wood here after Jan 1st with my old Remingtons. I should have some action for the thread then. And I got this monster I'm trying to convince my dad on lol View attachment 1134472View attachment 1134473View attachment 1134474
Heck ya man! That's a nice tree! Some BTU's in that wood for sure. I sure wish we had hard woods like that on the Island I'll tell ya.

Today I'm trying the kraut/pork roast recipe the PA guys recommended.
I did poke a knife into it in a bunch of places and stuff in slices of fresh garlic....hopefully that's okay.
Will get back later with a chewability report.
Thanks for all the pointers guys, much appreciated.
Now I've got lots of things to try, and more importantly....hope!

There is a 5lb shoulder roast hiding under there....
View attachment 1134560
Man I love me some Kraut!

Latest posts

Back