Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20231228_130941919.jpg
My kindling is dwindling! I had 3 bins full and I partially replenished one. Amazing how much gets used when it's warm out. Hasn't gone below freezing in a week and a half. Been so warm that I didn't use wood for a couple days, just propane. It's easy to cook myself out of the house when it gets too warm. It's 5°/41° now so I have one split on top of some kindling. That will do until tonight.

Yes . I have an outdoor coal forge I normalized the steel worked it then re harden and then tempered it
That’s awesome. I wish you lived closer. You do a lot of cool work.

I have an old Finnish adz from my great grandfather that was used in building log buildings. One of my friends is an old Finnish guy in his early 80s and was redoing a log sauna with his son. He was mentioning that he couldn’t get the ceiling perfectly straight and couldn’t find anybody with an adz and I said well I have one. So it was put the work for the first time in decades.

I don’t know if I told the story before, but my great grandfather was a carpenter for one of the iron mines up here. He did a lot of different things, including building infrastructure for mining, as well as building, the old location towns that the mining companies use to sponsor right next to their mine. Even built the water tower for one of the location towns. Obviously Back then everything was hand tools. I had a couple of tool chests full of these old tools, and knew that I wouldn’t really use most of them myself, so I sold them to a fellow who was a fifth generation carpenter-his ancestors had built wooden ships. He was looking for his own tools to build a barn with. I felt a little bad parting with family treasures, but at the same point figured that they would be much better off actually being used than sitting in my garage until the end of time. As a bonus, I was able to use his toolboxes for my own tools. Additionally, the one tool box was used in my office for my first file cabinet until I had enough files to warrant a real file cabinet.

That’s awesome. I wish you lived closer. You do a lot of cool work.

I have an old Finnish adz from my great grandfather used in building log buildings. One of my friends is an old Finnish guy in his early 80s and was redoing a log sauna with his son. He was mentioning that he couldn’t get the ceiling perfectly straight and couldn’t find anybody with an adz and I said well I have one. So it was put the work for the first time in decades.
I’ve posted these before , when my grandson made his first knife IMG_3781.jpegIMG_3780.jpegIMG_3789.jpeg

FS, White Oak WOW!!! No wonder it lasted so well! A lot harder to work with than Chestnut, but a great wood!

For those who don't know, White Oak is not porous, Red Oak is. Water will not go through White Oak, which is why it is used for wine barrels, ship building and the locks on the Erie Canal!

Back