Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're correct. The one the racers want is the one no longer made. They have a newer 404 that they use that is still in production, but if I'm not mistaken it's only sold to their timbersports guys?
I was at a GTG at Kevin's place and definitive Dave had a box of chains he was selling for 5 bucks each, there were a few of the old 3/8 non-anti vibe chains in there, I snagged up a bunch. A few minutes later there was one of the big racers from MI (can't remember his name right now, he has hundreds of saws and his brother had a 3 cut record for some class) who saw me carrying them, he offered me 20 each for them. It's a lot like racing tractors in the stock.classes, in order to win, you have to have the right tires, or you're just spinning your wheels.

Remembered, Hesel (spelling? ).
This is the stuff, IMG_2649.jpeg

In my effort to get us back on topic I am giving you the current conditions here in SoMN. 16° and waiting for the snow to start in earnest. Weather guesser say it will snow for about 20 hours straight. More :drinkingcoffee: needed.
40 degrees here yesterday in central Mass. It might hit 40 again today.

You do know you can put that 401k into a Roth and then you are free to spend it whenever you want? You have to pay the taxes on it upfornt but then it is yours to decide when and how to spend it.
It is easier to transfer it over several years so you don't get hit with a big tax bill all at once.
Well aware of that . No reason too at this point I’ll have to pay tax no matter if it take direct distributions or roll it over . Like I said I have no reason to take distributions . I don’t need the money to live I may need some of it if I buy some more property which is in my radar in the next 5 years . Looking for a warmer climate to winter but as long as my mom is here I have to stay , she turns 90 in April . Still lives at home and loads her stove every day and has complete mobility and all her faculties still . My gripe is that they make you take money out at 73 even if you don’t want it .

No signs or anything so I don.t. know Lady just sent me an address and phone# and said call when I get to the gate. Apparently you have to call every time you go. My buddy didn't and some suit came out and reamed him. He showed the guy his phone messages to him from the girl and it didn't say anything about calling every time and the suit chilled a bit. It's a M-F, 8-4 time frame for pickup.
Not easy for me to make a weekday trip

ya the extra lumps totally take bore cutting off the table They just spin on the bark and go nowhere. Neat bit of engineering if you think about it. As it rolls around the nose, the safety tab sticks out further than anything else and won't let the the cutters even touch. Now I've heard that a dremel tool can remedy that but of course I would never do that! lolol I'm sure none of you all have either!!!
A 3" air grinder takes them right off.

When the rounds are too big for me to lift, the splitter goes vertical, and I break out the knee pads. When the splitter is horizontal, I have to wear steel toes.. Either way, my back doesn't like it.. The older I get, I do less of an amount, more frequently.. I would rather noodle than split for kindlin..
I bought a used 37 ton splitter thinking that it would make life easy splitting big rounds in the vertical position. After a couple times of using it I sold it. My back didn't like it. I resurrected my 40 year old homemade 3pth splitter that lays right on the ground. I just make a small ramp on one side and roll those monster rounds right up on it. My leg muscles work a lot easier than back muscles on the big rounds. I don't have a pile of shavings to clean up if I was quartering them.

The second bear I shot in my life was closing on me at 30 yards when I got eyes on him. By the time I got my rifle to me shoulder and the scope covers popped. He was at 15 yards. I started squeezing the trigger more and more and more nothing. SAFTY WAS STIHL ENGAGED! 😳Oh💩****! He stopped and stood up right there at the 15yrd mark. Long enough for me to get my head out of my ass! I disengaged the safty and let fly with 250gr of Swift A-frame out of a .338WM. Three shots fired and game over. Then a fourth shot fired just to make sure! I believe if he hadn't stopped to stand up. He would have been on top of me. I got lucky that day I'll tell ya and he was just a little guy!
View attachment 1143522

Good and safe hunting to ya!👍
I hope you had a spare underwear with you. 🤣

The second bear I shot in my life was closing on me at 30 yards when I got eyes on him. By the time I got my rifle to me shoulder and the scope covers popped. He was at 15 yards. I started squeezing the trigger more and more and more nothing. SAFTY WAS STIHL ENGAGED! 😳Oh💩****! He stopped and stood up right there at the 15yrd mark. Long enough for me to get my head out of my ass! I disengaged the safty and let fly with 250gr of Swift A-frame out of a .338WM. Three shots fired and game over. Then a fourth shot fired just to make sure! I believe if he hadn't stopped to stand up. He would have been on top of me. I got lucky that day I'll tell ya and he was just a little guy!
View attachment 1143522

Good and safe hunting to ya!👍
Should of had your grease gun with you. No safety on a grease gun :laugh: .

Should of had your grease gun with you. No safety on a grease gun :laugh: .
I hope you had a spare underwear with you. 🤣
No spare pair of under shorts but there was plenty of grass around to clean my shorts out and it was only about a 1500yrd walk back home so it was only uncomfortable for the "short" distance home! 🤣
I tell you this much. I learned valuable lessons that day.
One, take scope caps completely off the rifle, before any more future bear hunts!
Two, take sling completely of rifle, before any more future bear hunts.
Three, In case they zig when they should have zagged? carry a grease gun in back pocket for back up. During any more future bear hunts!
Four, carry spare under shorts and TP during any more future bear hunts! 🤣👍

Good and safe hunting Gentleman!

I got no argument there. I'd like to see one of those Macs in action though. I've honestly never seen one cut before.
I'm not surprised by this comment..... My dad fell PNW timber for 30 years, and he always said they painted them things yellow for a reason!!!

Back