Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 20240131_140638.jpg
    20240131_140638.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_140710.jpg
    20240131_140710.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_140911.jpg
    20240131_140911.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_140729.jpg
    20240131_140729.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_140743.jpg
    20240131_140743.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_141010.jpg
    20240131_141010.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240131_141211.jpg
    20240131_141211.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Good morning guys. Another warm day here. This weather is crazy.

This weather is just what the doctor ordered for our decimated deer population. Low snow equals much easier travel and foraging plus deer have a significant speed advantage over wolves in low snow versus deep snow.

Additionally, mange has started to pop up amongst coyotes and wolves around here (which every rational person said was going to happen). Will be interested to see if this elevates to "outbreak" status.

What rifle is that SR?
P1010001.jpg

I had my 12ga./30-06 bbl. set on that day, and I shot three big bulls for my freezer.

Here's how it shoots,

412-Scope-Check-Target.jpg

It's a great system.

SR

Anyone have a Stihl GTA 26 pruner? My friend said he was going to get one. I Cussed him out and told him not to get one of those homeowner gimmick tools. A few weeks later my wife was visiting her 80 year old Uncle in NC. He got a cheap $49 China version. He couldn't get the chain on. Carolyn said I could fix it and brought it home. The pin that tightens the chain was all the way out. I adjusted it in so the chain would go on. No problem. While I had it, I had to try it out. My daughter has a 2 acre lot with White Pines on 3 sides and Blue Spruce on the other. The previous owner never maintained the yard. At some point, he took hedge clippers and cut the tips of the limbs off so he could mow closer. It was murder trying to get through the, dead, dry, sharp ends. I found with that little China Pruner, I could stand sideways, and reach in and cut a path to work in. Dang, that little bugger had a niche market, I liked it. Next day I ran up to Ace and bought the $169 Stihl version, with a $20 off coupon. Not only did it work great for squeezing into a tight spot, it worked great on limbs up to the size of the bar. After about an hour the chain started to get loose, then started jumping off the bar. No adjustment on the outside? Took the side plate off, no adjustment on the inside? Pulled the bar out till the chain was tight, and put the side plate back on. That Sucked. Not long after the chain was jumping again.

That was a year plus ago. I just found it on the shelf where all my battery chargers are. Battery was hot, it spun right up. Came in and did a search for tightening the chain? The official Stihl video. Loosen the side cover, do not take off, take thumb and forefinger and pull it tight, retighten side cover.

I wish I had of bought the cheap China unit with an adjustment screw. I can't believe Stihl did that. The only Stihl product that I have ever been disappointed in.

No pictures yet but last night I scored 20 sheets of 3/4 plywood sheeting for $400 . All brand new
Went and picked them up this morning I know everyone likes pictures .i didnā€™t even have to lift one he had forks on a Cat track skid steer . I took three off for my basement to make some shelves . IMG_7734.jpeg

This weather is just what the doctor ordered for our decimated deer population. Low snow equals much easier travel and foraging plus deer have a significant speed advantage over wolves in low snow versus deep snow.
Good thing for the herd for sure. We are seeing a similar trend out east. While we are getting low overnight temps which helps with ice formation, we really haven't seen the snow accumulation that you would expect by now. The snowmobilers are crying but the deer are happy. What I hope this translates to further is a dry spring and a healthy grouse population. We had an extremely wet spring here last year and the grouse as well as other ground nesting birds really suffered for it. On a normal year, I flush one almost every time I walk typical grouse habitat. Last fall I would estimate I walked about 30 km (19 mi) hunting for grouse. I only saw three, was lucky to bring two home.

Latest posts

Back