Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 1152554With the work outdoors done, I'm settling in with a brew to tie a few flies for the upcoming spring salmon season in April.
Nice work! NB is a neat place. Got detained at the Calais/St. Stephen border many years ago as the guards tore apart the old VW van. Great times!

Sawed on some old barbed wire with the mill today.....of course it was a nice sharp blade......:nofunny:

Couldn't see the stain before I sawed it because it was an old end-cut.
View attachment 1152595
Dang bro 😢.
Nice looking firewood. Looks like some premo snobwood, AKA previously dead standing.

Look at that chain. Ran a full tank thru it in some black locust snobwood, and a cut a bunch of rounds. The boy needed a hand clearing it off his quad trail. Can't believe how many trees are down on the properties surrounding our place, all areas I can cut on.
20240210_165039.jpg

Dang bro 😢.
Nice looking firewood. Looks like some premo snobwood, AKA previously dead standing.

Look at that chain. Ran a full tank thru it in some black locust snobwood, and a cut a bunch of rounds. The boy needed a hand clearing it off his quad trail. Can't believe how many trees are down on the properties surrounding our place, all areas I can cut on.
View attachment 1152601
Careful bud, you're going to wear out the crank bearings with all that tension!😉

Yeah, 99% of what I get is dead of some kind.

Never thought of a helmet with mesh. Not a bad idea and would be a simple solution to fogging up.

I was actually thinking about you while cutting Brett. At some point, I’ll tackle the trunks. I’ve never cut anything suspended like that, most logs have smaller pieces under to keep them off the ground. Lot to clean up still before I even tackle the trunks however.

I don’t own any heavy equipment to assist, but I’d like to pick your brain when the time comes about bucking the trunks safely. I’ve watched a few YT videos but believe it or not, I’ve learned a TON from this forum and the members here.

A few terrible pics I have of the trunks themselves.

IMG_1928.jpegIMG_1929.jpegIMG_1920.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1918.jpeg
    IMG_1918.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Never thought of a helmet with mesh. Not a bad idea and would be a simple solution to fogging up.

I was actually thinking about you while cutting Brett. At some point, I’ll tackle the trunks. I’ve never cut anything suspended like that, most logs have smaller pieces under to keep them off the ground. Lot to clean up still before I even tackle the trunks however.

I don’t own any heavy equipment to assist, but I’d like to pick your brain when the time comes about bucking the trunks safely. I’ve watched a few YT videos but believe it or not, I’ve learned a TON from this forum and the members here.

A few terrible pics I have of the trunks themselves.

View attachment 1152602View attachment 1152603View attachment 1152603View attachment 1152604View attachment 1152605
The one thing I forgot about a lot(and still do occasionally) is that the mesh is down and I try to spit 😅.
Thanks. I think of all you guys on a fairly normsharpening.
Wow, those pictures show there being a lot more wood than the first ones. You gonna get it all?
On the larger suspended pieces you can noodle them before you buck them off the log. Then you don't have to bend over to noodle them and they'll be easier to move the chunks around. You can make a couple noodling cuts from the top down(like a third of the width or even 1/4s if needed). That is unless you need to roll them to the truck out of the yard or they don't want piles of noodles around, it does make a heck of a pile. I like to use a 20" bar on a 70cc saw for noodling them like that. As for the bucking aspect I just cut til I get thru them top down. Sometimes they break off and a piece is left on the round, then I just cut that off. It's nice cutting when the logs are off the ground, don't have to roll the logs and it can save on sharpenings.

Careful bud, you're going to wear out the crank bearings with all that tension!😉

Yeah, 99% of what I get is dead of some kind.
Yeah, I tighten them up right after running them too. I figure if I'm not getting my chains cooking hot, it won't be a problem. When my chains are crazy loose, it's usually because they are toast from cutting a stump, I toss them most times after that abuse.

Not sure if this will load directly to AS.
I made the boy cut a few pieces today. He and I had a talk about why he doesn't take me up on things like running the saw or tonight using the router with a roto-zip bit for cutting drywall. He said he knows I'm wanting to get things done and doesn't want to slow the process. I explained to him that if I'm offering then I'm not in that big of a hurry and it gives him the opportunity to try something new and for me to help teach him. Glad we got that figured out, he ran the saw and the router today.
Looks like it worked.
One off the ground for Ryan, just a bit smaller.
View attachment 20240210_163300.mp4

Not sure if this will load directly to AS.
I made the boy cut a few pieces today. He and I had a talk about why he doesn't take me up on things like running the saw or tonight using the router with a roto-zip bit for cutting drywall. He said he knows I'm wanting to get things done and doesn't want to slow the process. I explained to him that if I'm offering then I'm not in that big of a hurry and it gives him the opportunity to try something new and for me to help teach him. Glad we got that figured out, he ran the saw and the router today.
Looks like it worked.
One off the ground for Ryan, just a bit smaller.
View attachment 1152623
That’s funny Chipper, tonight at dinner I told my daughter that since I’ve been taking her skiing all year she is gonna repay me this spring y helping haul wood outta my pal Joe’s farm. She is a wiz on the splitter lever, has been for probably half her life, but tonight I told her she is going to learn how to use the saw this spring. I have chaps and gear for her and she’s always known to steer clear of a running saws business end.

I’m thinking that 550xp is probably a great saw for her to learn on too

For bucking large, suspended logs, plastic wedges are your friend! Put them in the cut as soon as it is deep enough, and don't be afraid to use more than one. If cutting in the middle, go 2/3 through from the top, then finish from the bottom up.

They will often save you if you have misread the tension direction.

Tension can do very strange things to wood. I once milled a 6.5" X 6.5" Ash post that literally imploded after it was milled. We heard some cracking, we got back, and it literally just blew apart.

Pounding a plastic wedge can also, often, un-pinch a stuck bar.

They are also invaluable when stumping and milling.

For bucking large, suspended logs, plastic wedges are your friend! Put them in the cut as soon as it is deep enough, and don't be afraid to use more than one. If cutting in the middle, go 2/3 through from the top, then finish from the bottom up.

They will often save you if you have misread the tension direction.

Tension can do very strange things to wood. I once milled a 6.5" X 6.5" Ash post that literally imploded after it was milled. We heard some cracking, we got back, and it literally just blew apart.

Pounding a plastic wedge can also, often, un-pinch a stuck bar.

They are also invaluable when stumping and milling.
And also nice to have one if you get a wobbly table at a restaurant.

Latest posts

Back