Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The man himself,

My brother just did that song at a jam session Friday night ! lol We cut our teeth on Cash.
A kid here at the school a few years ago was down in the music dept. after school. Somewhere he had stumbled across the legend J C and was fumbling around trying to figure out the intro to folsom prison blues. When I walked by and heard him I stopped and asked if I could show him something. He said sure and passed me his guitar not knowing I have played that song for 40 plus years. I played it for him and he gave a puzzled look and asked , could you show me that one more time???? I stuck with him til he had it and went on home. I still remember his bewilderment that I knew that. It's funny how the kids think you have no life outside of what they see you do at work!!!

120 liters of sap collected today . Refractometer says just under 4% sugar content so I should get a little under a gallon if I start evaporating. I only tapped the higher content trees this year . Picture of the first dumping I have another 60l tank full IMG_7790.jpegand if ya look that’s all the snow we have .

Hey Pioneerguy! Finally got one of those elusive air filter covers. Farmer Steve found one over in PA.
Nicest part on the saw. Pioneer and Steve are a couple of the good helpful folks still left on this site.
View attachment 1153469
Looks great, brand new color wise. No idea why they are so scarce as we already discussed. I could help more if were not for the overly high shipping costs nowadays

Every time I was forced to bump the dock or go through x-ray were random selection, had nothing to do with personal appearance. Most places were quite courteous, but Port Huron's personel were always a bunch of f'n pricks.
I've been through the Port Huron border more times than any other crossing. I've never felt that way there.

SR

120 liters of sap collected today . Refractometer says just under 4% sugar content so I should get a little under a gallon if I start evaporating. I only tapped the higher content trees this year . Picture of the first dumping I have another 60l tank full View attachment 1153473and if ya look that’s all the snow we have .
My buddy that lives on the other side the resivoir from you, he’s been boiling since the 4th

Well, I was hired to skid logs about 50 miles from here, The trees were huge, and the wind had pushed them over, lifting the root ball. The guy is a customer friend of mine, and he hired a tree surgeon to cut them out and gave him instructions to cut all the good logs out at, AT LEAST 8' 6".

Only one log just made 8', all the rest are 7' and under!! NOW, these were white and red oaks and had 4 to 5 VERY GOOD logs each in them, with both having some veneer logs in them! I wouldn't have paid that bast*** one stinking penny for what he did!! Some of those logs were already sold, but not at 7' and under!!

Anyway, here's how one of the trees looked when I got there,

Resized-20240212-155955-S.jpg

and I started pulling firewood out,

Resized-20240212-151736-S.jpg

I was sick when I saw what they had done, as many of those logs were really nice, here's my helper, helping with hooking up chains,

Resized-20240212-160055-S.jpg

This is the nicest log, but what you can't see is a cut in it nearly all the way through making both logs too short! This tree had 117 rings on the stump.

Resized-20240212-161049-S.jpg

There was so many to get out, I spent the night there, in my buddy's cabin,

Resized-20240212-171601-S.jpg

We put a fire in the fireplace, and along with the heated floors, it was pretty nice in there,

Resized-20240212-203626-S.jpg

Anyway, he fed us good, and it was a lot of fun along with good pay too! lol

SR

Well, I was hired to skid logs about 50 miles from here, The trees were huge, and the wind had pushed them over, lifting the root ball. The guy is a customer friend of mine, and he hired a tree surgeon to cut them out and gave him instructions to cut all the good logs out at, AT LEAST 8' 6".

Only one log just made 8', all the rest are 7' and under!! NOW, these were white and red oaks and had 4 to 5 VERY GOOD logs each in them, with both having some veneer logs in them! I wouldn't have paid that bast*** one stinking penny for what he did!! Some of those logs were already sold, but not at 7' and under!!

I was sick when I saw what they had done, as many of those logs were really nice, here's my helper, helping with hooking up chains,

This is the nicest log, but what you can't see is a cut in it nearly all the way through making both logs too short! This tree had 117 rings on the stump.

We put a fire in the fireplace, and along with the heated floors, it was pretty nice in there,

SR
I hate it when poopheads cut my logs under 8 foot....😡
Some folks just need kicked....

SR
How long was the log on the last pic? How would you have done them differently? Left them longer? Nice logs from what I see.

There is a little crossing here called Nighthawk,, we got checked by the Americans leaving the USA,,
was very rude and intimidating,, couple young bucks asserting their authority.. All other crossing i have ever done have been good.
There is (or was years ago) a Border Patrol station on I-25 between Las Cruces and Albuquerque going north. Usually no big deal, but if you had an attitude they certainly could as well. Been many years, maybe no longer there.

How long was the log on the last pic? How would you have done them differently? Left them longer? Nice logs from what I see.
I didn't measure it, but it was cut near the middle, and I couldn't get even one 8-footer out of it.

I looked at all the trees before they were cut, there were several 17' logs in them, and that's how I would have cut them. The buyer can decide if he wants them cut shorter!

The tree guy should be de-nutted with a chainsaw! lol

SR

Back