Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scott aka 08fl150 and his snackie pics. Can't forget whitespider with his superior bias ply tires and smoke dragon stove.
Not seen niko either aka sawtroll.
AND…
Niko was a wealth of knowledge, like Wikipedia in a
Living person for chainsaw's

Jellyroll, taking me down memory lane tonight

#Jackpot

About 2 miles from the house. Fella cleared about 25 acres of land a couple years ago, piled up all the hardwood logs near the road and left 'em there. Hasn't been back since. Might as well make use of it before it rots!

View attachment 1158300
Thanks for the scrounging pic!

SS396, I like these notched pieces I made for the ladder. Just check for level and screw into the end of the log and you are all set.

In the lower right of the second picture you see what they look like.

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_155402623_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231001_155402623_HDR.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231003_135556179_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231003_135556179_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
SS396, I like these notched pieces I made for the ladder. Just check for level and screw into the end of the log and you are all set.

That's cool Mike.
Where'd you get that ladder, looks sturdy for the weight.

Got all but the butt log diced up at my neighbors yesterday. Took my 14yr old daughter over and she did a great job hauling brush, you can see her in the second picture for the size of the tree. It's all bucked to 16" and the branches cut shorter and so they stacked well. We went just before dark, ran almost two tanks thru the stock 359 with a 24". Sure wish I would have had a smaller saw for all those overhead branches, I was a little tired after not cutting for so long, but we got it done and without any cramps there or at home last night lol.
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 7.28.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-01 at 7.29.08 PM.png
Between the tractor and the bigger fork above there was another good sized branch off the bottom pointing towards the camera a bit that was helping support the stems. I got just past that once everything else was bucked. It was nice because I did most of the cutting off the ground.
By the time we finished it was a bit dark, and I brought the receipts lol.
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 7.30.29 PM.png

This is why I will never live in an urban area by my own choosing.
Agreed…. I’ve often said I like living in the country because when somebody doesn’t belong there, they stick out.
I would have flattened them mofo's and never looked back.
Right… Like the old adage, I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by six.
scott aka 08fl150 and his snackie pics. Can't forget whitespider with his superior bias ply tires and smoke dragon stove.
Not seen niko either aka sawtroll.
Classics!
Dinner cost me a bit, but seeing the smile on my girls faces, it was definitely worth it!!!

My in-laws from just over the border came in from NC and my nephews that live in Bristol showed up too

It was a great night!!
View attachment 1158286View attachment 1158285View attachment 1158284
You’re a good man, Matt. Strong families are almost a thing of the past. I’m trying my best with my kids, but it’s tough with their mom having different values.
AND…
Niko was a wealth of knowledge, like Wikipedia in a
Living person for chainsaw's

Jellyroll, taking me down memory lane tonight
That guy knew everything about Swedish saws!
I remember seeing the riots of the late 60s up close and personal. An out-of-control mob is very scary and has no conscious.

It is just something you never forget.
I can imagine!

Reminds me of the mob scene from Wyatt Earp where they wanted to get that young man out of jail and hang him. Wyatt said something to the effect of “you all can take me-there’s no doubt about that. But I’m taking the first 12 son of a bitches with me if you try, starting with you and you.”

Those mounting plates look good, but a little tall? You loose at least one board by having to saw underneath them. Not a problem if going after live edge only. How are they mounted to the ladder?

I used a piece of 1by 4 screwed into the ladder on each end layed flat . Then two large GRK wood screws on each board to hold it to the log . I lose very little on the first cut

That’s awesome Mark!

There is a guy off 17m towards fair oaks that does “live edge” lumber. My wife wanted some live edge shelves

Paid an arm and a leg for two, wish you lived just a bit closer
I can’t believe what they charge for it . Hopefully it was kiln dried.

I had an old B&C/sprocket on my MS170 that I used for cutting small trees/saplings below ground level, hitting a lot of dirt. I've since replaced the B&C/sprocket but don't want to intentionally subject it to dirt again.

I'm clearing a section of my woods of saplings and want to cut the trunks off below ground level so I can mow over them without tearing up my mower blades. I want to put the old B&C back on the saw while I'm doing this. The old chain is stretched to the point it falls off. I know I can grind the rivets off and punch them out. Then remove TWO drive links?? I'll need new pins and tie straps?? so where can I get a couple for a 3/8 pitch 0.050 LP chain? I've never done this before so a video link would be good too since I'm a visual person.

I had an old B&C/sprocket on my MS170 that I used for cutting small trees/saplings below ground level, hitting a lot of dirt. I've since replaced the B&C/sprocket but don't want to intentionally subject it to dirt again.

I'm clearing a section of my woods of saplings and want to cut the trunks off below ground level so I can mow over them without tearing up my mower blades. I want to put the old B&C back on the saw while I'm doing this. The old chain is stretched to the point it falls off. I know I can grind the rivets off and punch them out. Then remove TWO drive links?? I'll need new pins and tie straps?? so where can I get a couple for a 3/8 pitch 0.050 LP chain? I've never done this before so a video link would be good too since I'm a visual person.
The local saw shop here will shorten a chain for $2. Check with your place, they may be similar. Otherwise you'll need the special tools to do it right, besides the rivet straps.

Back