Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fella with that sweet old Ford

Which engine?
There was once a “show me your load” or something along that line thread on here. I’ll have to find some of my old loads. They were on a phone like 6 phones ago….

Lots of good ideas on there
That is me. She has got the ole 300 inline 6 and bolt action 4 speed trans. It was running really good and I was just using it around my property with no brakes but I think the accelerator pump diaphragm got a tear in it cause it just floods out all the time now. Those pumps work on engine vacuum so it just slugs straight gas when that happens.

I can also think of few things more fun in life than bouncing through a field in an old truck with worn out shocks and no brakes, highly recommend.

Is Carl M still porting ?
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately, I liked his work a lot.
Wanna sell a 7910 😆.
I may have fried my MM 7900. Was running it at my parents last summer flush cutting a stump with my glasses on with my helmet/ muffs, it sounded like the sound was coming in thru the muffs at my glasses and it was up and down, then she stopped running. Pulled and it fired but stalled. Hopefully if I did burn it up I didn't score the cylinder, I've always liked the work he's done on the 7900/7910s, it would be sad to loose it.
That’s one reason to use Motul , Lol 😆
I can tell just by smelling it.
But, it makes others a bit nervous.
What color is the motul.

Most of our wood is cut on our property. My tractor with forks or stump grapple bucket usually does most of the moving over to my cutting and splitting area. When picking up wood off the property I use my RAM 2500 and if needed, an 18 foot equipment trailer. As for this year, I think my woodburning is over as of almost 2 weeks ago. It is just too warm to have a fire going.
That is how I am. Between my dads place and mine we both do not really have any need to seek wood anywhere else, but I will snag free stuff off of market place if it is close. I normally just block it up and haul it up to the splitter with my backhoe, or if it'll pull I'll drag the whole tree over there.

My burning season is not quite over yet, but my regular schedule of keeping it going around the clock is done. Now it is time to re stock the stacks for next year while I can keep up

One of my favs is the IMI. .59 per on stripper clips in a can isn't bad, compared to not having anything...
Glad I'm not there yet. They just had them in 62grn for .50 bulk not long ago.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-...n-ss109-m855-nato-ball-ammo-stripper-clips-ma
View attachment 1160106
Forgot to say this yesterday, these are nice in case there's ever a green tip ban, no green tips but they are 62gr steel core.
And, because of that you can use them at your local indoor range :innocent::lol:.
If you don't know, please, don't do that!

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately, I liked his work a lot.
Wanna sell a 7910 😆.
I may have fried my MM 7900. Was running it at my parents last summer flush cutting a stump with my glasses on with my helmet/ muffs, it sounded like the sound was coming in thru the muffs at my glasses and it was up and down, then she stopped running. Pulled and it fired but stalled. Hopefully if I did burn it up I didn't score the cylinder, I've always liked the work he's done on the 7900/7910s, it would be sad to loose it.

I can tell just by smelling it.
But, it makes others a bit nervous.
What color is the motul.
Just like Red Armor, not as viscous, I use the air cooled version, hope you didn’t cook it , yea that 7910 is a sweety 😊 Wonder what happened to Carl , just stopped doing it ?

Just like Red Armor, not as viscous, I use the air cooled version, hope you didn’t cook it , yea that 7910 is a sweety 😊 Wonder what happened to Carl , just stopped doing it ?
But what color is it?
Me too lol.
That's a sweet runner for sure. I kept it tuned at 14.4k, it would 4-stroke way higher, but it didn't need to be tuned any higher to run well.
No idea, I haven't talked to him in at least a couple yrs, maybe longer.

But what color is it?
Me too lol.
That's a sweet runner for sure. I kept it tuned at 14.4k, it would 4-stroke way higher, but it didn't need to be tuned any higher to run well.
No idea, I haven't talked to him in at least a couple yrs, maybe longer.
Lol 👍
IMG_2870.png

Y’all should see what Turkey loads run me!!
I don't even understand why anyone would pay that price for turkey loads, those glorified buzzards can easily be killed with hi-brass 6's,

P1010848-S.jpg

You just have to let them get a little closer!

SR

I don't even understand why anyone would pay that price for turkey loads, those glorified buzzards can easily be killed with hi-brass 6's,

P1010848-S.jpg

SR
Heck I killed a bunch with my 16 gauge till I bought my Ithaca 12 gauge. Remington used to make a 16 gauge 2 3/4" "magnum" shell I used.

I want a faster splitter with a lift and maybe a 4-way.
Also I want to make it self propelled, but also to be able to tow if needed.

Been considering joining a club that's not too far away, just need to get a bunch of projects done lol.
But then I'd be able to let loose a bit more than here at the house.
With the size of wood I regularly get, a 6 way is minimum and I'm considering a box wedge. They are extremely messy wedges, make a lot of trash. I'm not particularly fond of that. I have enough kindling for the next 5 years already. The appeal is the speed and not having to manually grab out pieces and resplit them.
I wasn't super worried about portability till recently, with dad getting older I've been doing more and more of his wood, and he still had a bunch of trees to take down at his place in the next however many years. My debate is to make it skid style so I can drag it on my trailer, or make it road worthy. Ideally I'm going to start dragging my kubota over to his place since i have forks and he doesn't. Too much to worry about right now. I've drawn the darn thing out a dozen times just to not like something about it. Then I see another splitter or processor and like something about it and change my mind. As of right now, I have a bunch of steel and a few parts saved up for it. I'll be sure to start a thread once I get to that point. I've found your guys input on stuff very valuable over the years with my little projects.
Thanks you for posting that! I was just telling a friend about that oil and couldn't remember what exactly it was called.
A sporting goods shop in Kalispell. Yeah, gone are the days of 1000rd cases of Russian Brown Bear for 2 bills. Luckily still have a few cases left of 7.62x39 for the Vz.58.View attachment 1160105
Years ago I got a chinese sks at a gun show. Was an issued model, but innoretty good shape. Tossed new furniture on it and converted it for us steel mags. My brother bought one too. (Actually wish I bought the entire crate now. Paid $80.00 each for them) they guy selling them had spam cans of ammo for $100.00 each. We each bought 4 cans. Years later my brother got rid of his sks and gave me yhe rest of his ammo. Then I fell into a pile of wolf hollow points from a guy at work selling off his dad's guns when he passed away. Gave him $200.00 for the lot of it, sight unseen. Stopped off at his house to pick it up. Felt kinda bad cause I screwed the crap out of him. It was nearly 100 20 round boxes and 2 50 cal ammo cans full of loose fmj.
Life is short man. Take the time to enjoy some hunting! Work is just that.
I would if I could. I've got 8 vacation days and 3 personal days. With the kids and my wife working part time, I end up taking most of that time off to watch the kids when schools out or when they get sick since my wife doesn't get paid when she's off. I did manage to save enough time last year to take off the first week of rifle season, but this year we all got sick 2 weeks ago and I ended up calling off Tuesday through Friday so burned up most my vacation already. If I'm still at the park in a few years I will be a bit easier to get off.

With the size of wood I regularly get, a 6 way is minimum and I'm considering a box wedge. They are extremely messy wedges, make a lot of trash. I'm not particularly fond of that. I have enough kindling for the next 5 years already. The appeal is the speed and not having to manually grab out pieces and resplit them.
I wasn't super worried about portability till recently, with dad getting older I've been doing more and more of his wood, and he still had a bunch of trees to take down at his place in the next however many years. My debate is to make it skid style so I can drag it on my trailer, or make it road worthy. Ideally I'm going to start dragging my kubota over to his place since i have forks and he doesn't. Too much to worry about right now. I've drawn the darn thing out a dozen times just to not like something about it. Then I see another splitter or processor and like something about it and change my mind. As of right now, I have a bunch of steel and a few parts saved up for it. I'll be sure to start a thread once I get to that point. I've found your guys input on stuff very valuable over the years with my little projects.

Thanks you for posting that! I was just telling a friend about that oil and couldn't remember what exactly it was called.

Years ago I got a chinese sks at a gun show. Was an issued model, but innoretty good shape. Tossed new furniture on it and converted it for us steel mags. My brother bought one too. (Actually wish I bought the entire crate now. Paid $80.00 each for them) they guy selling them had spam cans of ammo for $100.00 each. We each bought 4 cans. Years later my brother got rid of his sks and gave me yhe rest of his ammo. Then I fell into a pile of wolf hollow points from a guy at work selling off his dad's guns when he passed away. Gave him $200.00 for the lot of it, sight unseen. Stopped off at his house to pick it up. Felt kinda bad cause I screwed the crap out of him. It was nearly 100 20 round boxes and 2 50 cal ammo cans full of loose fmj.

I would if I could. I've got 8 vacation days and 3 personal days. With the kids and my wife working part time, I end up taking most of that time off to watch the kids when schools out or when they get sick since my wife doesn't get paid when she's off. I did manage to save enough time last year to take off the first week of rifle season, but this year we all got sick 2 weeks ago and I ended up calling off Tuesday through Friday so burned up most my vacation already. If I'm still at the park in a few years I will be a bit easier to get off.
I’d like to try some myself, 👍

Heck I killed a bunch with my 16 gauge till I bought my Ithaca 12 gauge. Remington used to make a 16 gauge 2 3/4" "magnum" shell I used.
EXACTLEY, and my "go to gun" above, is a 16ga,. and I also have some 16 ga. magnum loads around here.

I also have some "slide in" sleeves, so I can fire 20 ga. ammo in it, including 3". They work very good and lets me use 20 ga. ammo if I want.

SR

P1010848-S.jpg

SR
True. I'm guessing the whole 'Turkey Load' thing is just a marketing thing. When I was young, not knowing any better, I fell for it. Bought a couple of boxes ($5 ea) and still using it today. I think they have specialized turkey barrels and chokes for those with too much money. When I get done with those, I have boxes of Hi-brass shells I used to use on pheasant on state land before they went to steel. Besides takes a little more effort to get them in close. My Brother uses a 2-3/4" 20 gauge using Hi-brass.

Big girly , Lol , gonna scrape that crap off and put a good burn 🔥 on it ,hit it with some Watco , View attachment 1160147View attachment 1160148
Looks like a beast of a tool! Getting rid of the lacquer is a very good idea... For the long run boiled linseed oil is a better choice than any of the varnish/film type finishes... This as your skin doesn't stick to it which helps prevent blisters, and the finish doesn't chip off the surface as it's in the wood instead of sitting on top of it. The finish can also be renewed as needed by simply cleaning off any dirt/dust/etc. and wiping on another coat--no stripping necessary. I routinely apply about a half dozen coats to new handles over the course of a 5-7 days. I do it until the surface remains uniformly wet and doesn't absorb any more after say 10 minutes. Wipe off the excess after say 10 minutes. Sand in the first coat or two with 220 or 320 to help seal the grain and remove any roughness... wipe it off while still wet so you don't leave any sanding swarf on the surface. After a few years of annual applications of BLO your handles develop a nice patina. I do this to my wooden wheel barrow handles too. Proof reading this makes me think I've become an old guy like the old guy I learned it from when I was a kid. 🙄

Looks like a beast of a tool! Getting rid of the lacquer is a very good idea... For the long run boiled linseed oil is a better choice than any of the varnish/film type finishes... This as your skin doesn't stick to it which helps prevent blisters, and the finish doesn't chip off the surface as it's in the wood instead of sitting on top of it. The finish can also be renewed as needed by simply cleaning off any dirt/dust/etc. and wiping on another coat--no stripping necessary. I routinely apply about a half dozen coats to new handles over the course of a 5-7 days. I do it until the surface remains uniformly wet and doesn't absorb any more after say 10 minutes. Wipe off the excess after say 10 minutes. Sand in the first coat or two with 220 or 320 to help seal the grain and remove any roughness... wipe it off while still wet so you don't leave any sanding swarf on the surface. After a few years of annual applications of BLO your handles develop a nice patina. I do this to my wooden wheel barrow handles too. Proof reading this makes me think I've become an old guy like the old guy I learned it from when I was a kid. 🙄
Watco approved,Lol

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2160.jpeg
    IMG_2160.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Watco approved,Lol
Nice looking museum exhibit! 🤪 Seriously, I know Watco is popular and it works pretty well. Long haul I've stuck with the BLO as any tool with "varnish" (in all it's incarnations), or lacquer, that I've used caused too much skin friction and never got better with age. It's an annual ritual for me to put BLO on the handles of my shovels, picks, rakes, hoes, axes, ditch bank blades, brush axe, wheelbarrow, etc. If I buy a new handle for an old tool I acquire I use a card scraper to remove the factory finish, sand it, and do the BLO routine. I also sharpen my shovels, picks, hoes, etc. as needed. Now that all the old guys in my life are gone I don't personally know anyone else who sharpens those tools. They work so much better when sharp! This reminds me that I have to teach my sons to do that!

Latest posts

Back