Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not surprisingly I’m going to disagree with Rob.

If I’m going to go after the king of fowl I’m going to have the best possible round in my gun. I’d much rather pay extra to have a good magnum load with more and heavier bb’s at a higher velocity than take my chances with some high brass that was meant for grouse.

Far as I know, Carl kind of got out of saws a while back. IMO his woods ported saws were second to none.

Working on/selling small power equipment is a tough industry. A highly motivated guy can usually make a lot more money doing something else and I believe that’s the route he went.

Far as I know, Carl kind of got out of saws a while back. IMO his woods ported saws were second to none.

Working on/selling small power equipment is a tough industry. A highly motivated guy can usually make a lot more money doing something else and I believe that’s the route he went.
Definitely has a nasty attitude,Lol 👍IMG_0223.jpeg

The turkeys are so dumb here you can just use a baseball bat or a canoe paddle.
Not like that here. Sure, you can pattern them, sit still and probably shoot one every year but what fun is that! I'm a run and gun turkey hunter and only hunt in the 5th or 6th period in WI. That's the 2nd or 3rd week of May after they've heard everything. Every tom I've gotten has been called in. Here's one from 2 years ago. Got him with a .410 at 35 yards on May 14th.20220514_062247.jpg

Forgot to say, one downside of the Maxima K2 is that it has very little dye in it. I usually mix it at 45:1 and then add a couple splashes of whatever mix I have/ that I could find cheap for added color. One time I had a buddy dump all the mix out of my saw before running it because he thought it was straight gas, at least he checked 🤣.
Amsoil interceptor is the same way it looks exactly like corn syrup.

Not like that here. Sure, you can pattern them, sit still and probably shoot one every year but what fun is that! I'm a run and gun turkey hunter and only hunt in the 5th or 6th period in WI. That's the 2nd or 3rd week of May after they've heard everything. Every tom I've gotten has been called in. Here's one from 2 years ago. Got him with a .410 at 35 yards on May 14th.View attachment 1160258
What gun? I buy .410 shells when I see em. The boss saw me buying some at wallyworld one time. "I didn't know you had a .410." I don't. But I will. All I got was:rolleyes:.

Do they climb in through a gap under the roof?
Oh there is plenty of gap. This is an open lean-to, roof only so air gets in. At fist I thought that they came in at night during stacking time but I don't stack and my wife said she would have seen any fresh poop. Her stacks are tight and I can't think of any critter smallenough to get in that could lay poop that size.
full wood shed.jpg

What gun? I buy .410 shells when I see em. The boss saw me buying some at wallyworld one time. "I didn't know you had a .410." I don't. But I will. All I got was:rolleyes:.
It's a Stevens 301 Turkey gun. It has a cheap Tasco red dot on it. Now, if you want to shoot cheap shells this isn't the route to go. I paid $45 for a box of 5 two years ago. I'm using the Federal 3" TSS #9s. 35 yards was my limit but it flat smoked him. I patterned/sighted in with cheap game loads and verified with 2 rounds of the expensive stuff. I killed this one with it and have 2 rounds left which should be 2 more birds/seasons.

It's a Stevens 301 Turkey gun. It has a cheap Tasco red dot on it. Now, if you want to shoot cheap shells this isn't the route to go. I paid $45 for a box of 5 two years ago. I'm using the Federal 3" TSS #9s. 35 yards was my limit but it flat smoked him. I patterned/sighted in with cheap game loads and verified with 2 rounds of the expensive stuff. I killed this one with it and have 2 rounds left which should be 2 more birds/seasons.
Curious why you use a 410? Granted with that small shell you have to go with a premium load. But wow! $45/5 shells? I'd switch to something bigger.

If you don't already reload for shot shells, owning .410 and 28 gauge guns will drive you to it if you shoot any volume! When I regularly took my sons to the range it was no problem to go through 3 cases of shells... a combination of .410, 28 and 20s. My working rule was that they'd be worn out before we ran out of ammo and pigeons.😉 On that note, I bought many cases of AA shells to build up a supply of empty hulls. They hold up much better than hulls from say Fiocchi... I started out buying Fiocchi and within a few reloads they would split and/or the heads would come off. AAs on the other hand would take 8-10+ reloadings. That said, for busting clays I don't load hot. In fact, I load 3/4 oz. in the 20 gauge shells. My latest .410... choked Full and Full. Over 3,000 rounds through it.
Dickinson01.png
Dickinson10.png

Hey chipper, that is my "go to gun" I was telling you about, the other day.

I've even made a few doubles with it,

2010-Nov-Does-S.jpg

It gets it done!

SR
Yeah, thats like comparing mine to a .177 pellet rifle lol.
That being said, I just launched a chipmunk about 6' with my little plinker lol. Nice 60yrd shot.
Pretty sure it would take a turkey too :laugh: .
The chucks are actually scared to death of the turkeys. Keep finding the dang things all over the place.
View attachment 1160299
Looks like they had a rough night lol.
I've been seeing chucks for a couple weeks now... My girlfriend even caught one on her cameras Thursday...
thisthreadisuselesswithoutpichers.jpg

Every tom I've gotten has been called in. Here's one from 2 years ago. Got him with a .410 at 35 yards on May 14th.
Been turkey hunting with a 410 since 1962, first shotgun dad bought me. The object is a tight pattern for a head shot and a 410 for that will do the job as good as a 12g at reasonable distances. Now if I want to reach out and whack one I use my custom turkey gun, a single shot 10g with the barrel cut to 18in, custom screw-in choke installed and choke reamed to improve pattern with 6 shot, at 60 yards a turkey don't stand a chance.

Latest posts

Back