Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another nice day here in the 60's, so off I go to make some 2x6's out of the log I loaded onto the mill, yesterday.

I like to saw 5 1/2" thick "flitches" off the log, and then roll the flitches up on edge, and start taking off 1 1/2" thick 2x6's off it,

Resized-20240313-140827-S.jpg

This log was full of tension and even though I tried to keep up with it while sawing, it still got into the lumber a bit. Here's the tally for that log,

Resized-20240313-143417-S.jpg

It's always handy to have some 2x6's around!

SR

Swung by the farm today, looks like the wind did some felling for me.

Stinky thing, half the trees he wants thinned out are silver maple. The rest are Cherry, oak and elm. The ash is all to far gone to use, they’ll be dropped and pushed to the wood line to rot further away IMG_6344.jpeg

Swung by the farm today, looks like the wind did some felling for me.

Stinky thing, half the trees he wants thinned out are silver maple. The rest are Cherry, oak and elm. The ash is all to far gone to use, they’ll be dropped and pushed to the wood line to rot further away View attachment 1161855
Unless it's on the ground that ash might be better than you think Matt. I do get some crappy stuff when cutting though. I sort it when I'm splitting and I toss the junk into the cheap campfire wood pile. This was today's load. Dead standing bark falling off and it was sthl solid. Oh yea. The elm sucks.:laugh:
20240313_151800.jpg

Unless it's on the ground that ash might be better than you think Matt. I do get some crappy stuff when cutting though. I sort it when I'm splitting and I toss the junk into the cheap campfire wood pile. This was today's load. Dead standing bark falling off and it was sthl solid. Oh yea. The elm sucks.:laugh:
View attachment 1161857
I’ve had varying degrees of success with the ash, sometimes it gets punky and when you go to split it, it just crumbles

I’ll bring a Fiskars for some test splits

My log pile is all bucked up and most of it stacked for splitting. Every piece of wood in the pile minus maybe a dozen small pieces was all standing dead Ash trees.

Attachments

• 20240313_163408.jpg
    20240313_163408.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_163118.jpg
    20240313_163118.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_163352.jpg
    20240313_163352.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_163143.jpg
    20240313_163143.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
I always called that tearing !!! That stuff is murder! Makes beautiful turnings on a lathe. The grain almost looks like flames.
Yeah thats exactly what is was doing, tearing and shearing. The splitter head is actually a big 16-18" tall cutter from a paper mill so it has a very shallow taper and will sometimes just cut its way through. Or try to at least lol. I've got probably 8 cords of this gum left to get through :dumb2:

Yeah thats exactly what is was doing, tearing and shearing. The splitter head is actually a big 16-18" tall cutter from a paper mill so it has a very shallow taper and will sometimes just cut its way through. Or try to at least lol. I've got probably 8 cords of this gum left to get through :dumb2:
I'm not a wood snob by any means, but gum is pretty far down my list of wood I want to burn.
Blue, red, orange, green tractors it doesn't matter they are all expensive and cost a fortune to repair when something goes wrong.
Kubota has become very proud of their parts in the last few year. Few years back I got a quote for some parts for dads L245dt, axle stub shaft, nut, bearings and seal(s). Was under $300.00 for everything. Dad ended up just wanting to replace the seals. (Against my advice, seals just don't start leaking for no reason, and there wasn't any indication of them being damaged.) That same axle is leaking again, so I told dad I'm just gonna buy the parts and it's getting fixed right, same parts are almost $600.00.
Deere, fantastic machines, I'll never own one. If most people had any clue how their business model ran they would run away from deere like a hot rock. Parts mark up has always been huge, and set by deere. They love making proprietary parts, love their cloud based proprietary software. Can't even get a legit username and password without going through several classes. I can rant about them all day. They make a good product, but I just can't stand behind their methodology of screwing every customer that walks through the door.
Haven't bought or worked on any case/new Holland stuff recently. Never thought their prices were terrible, but I can't comment at this point.

Latest posts

Back